cracks in my soy candle!!!!!!

Hi

I have noticed that my 3 soy container candles with 3 wicks have cracks everywhere in the wax.  I can see at the bottom as well.I am new to this issue, I am wondering if this is common to have cracks in some soy candles. I do not have the same issue in all my candles using same soy wax from same bag. The only thing that is different is the fragrance oil, i highly doubt that can cause that. 

Please advise.

What brand of wax? Several like 444 crack like mad in many of my containers. Sometimes the cracks don’t appear for months later. Seems a lot like it’s weather driven, Particularly if it’s cool. Cooler temperatures change the rate of cooling of the candle and can cause massive cavities and cracks.

• Like 1

For this wax I pour at 120 to 115 degree. The room temp is around 66 F. Its cooler area and fall is here :-). The weird thing is, it happens to random candles and not all. So I made 3 yesterday with cranberry scent and one of them got cracks and other two are fine. Same, I made vanilla nutmeg last week and one of them got cracks after 2-3 days and others are fine. I am thinking to buy wax warmer large one and put candle in there, hoping it would fix it?!!!!!

I dont know what would be the best way to do this. 

8 hours ago, mycandlecraft said:

For this wax I pour at 120 to 115 degree. The room temp is around 66 F. Its cooler area and fall is here :-). The weird thing is, it happens to random candles and not all. So I made 3 yesterday with cranberry scent and one of them got cracks and other two are fine. Same, I made vanilla nutmeg last week and one of them got cracks after 2-3 days and others are fine. I am thinking to buy wax warmer large one and put candle in there, hoping it would fix it?!!!!!

I dont know what would be the best way to do this. 

I think 66 degrees is probably a little too chilly for the room temp. If you can get to 68-70, I'd try that first. Next, 444 is a harder wax (than, say, 464), so with the decreases in ambient temperature, you should expect more surface flaws generally.

A good temporary fix... Take a heat gun to the outside of the jar to "soften" the cracks. But, ultimately might want to experiment with a "winter wax blend"... something with a lower melting point. Throw in some 464 or coconut wax and see if that works. 🤷‍♂️ Ultimately, cooler ambient temps will cause the wax to shrink faster, which is most likely where the cracks are coming from.

I have poured this wax at all different temps and cooled at many different rates and nothing is safe....candles that appeared fine developed cracks months down the road - you can’t control temps of where that candle ends up either - a recent discovery I found is many pockets formed as well under the surface even when mixed with softer waxes at smaller percentages 

never have I seen Anything Like this with a soy wax - to be sure there are no cavities relief holes and a second pour I would suggest but as far as the cracks.....you will likely have to go at least 50% with a softer one mixed in 🤷‍♀️

Heat gunning I found them to just reappear and although most self mend while burning I am uneasy about the cavities and the possibility of what could happen when it burns to use this wax alone for resale 

Edited by moonshine

• 2 years later...
On 10/29/2018 at 1:01 PM, TallTayl said:

What brand of wax? Several like 444 crack like mad in many of my containers. Sometimes the cracks don’t appear for months later. Seems a lot like it’s weather driven, Particularly if it’s cool. Cooler temperatures change the rate of cooling of the candle and can cause massive cavities and cracks.

Is this just a cosmetic issue or will it affect candle performance? I just noticed cracks at the bottom of my jar as well (444 wax). Debating on dipping the jar in a pot of boiling water, but not if the cracks won’t be dangerous/affect candle performance. 

9 hours ago, ambar said:

Is this just a cosmetic issue or will it affect candle performance? I just noticed cracks at the bottom of my jar as well (444 wax). Debating on dipping the jar in a pot of boiling water, but not if the cracks won’t be dangerous/affect candle performance. 

Melting and cooling won’t fix the problems in the problematic wax. Melting in the jar and cooling will usually cause terrible frosting at the very least.

If the cracks go all through it is more than cosmetic.