Crazy Paraffin Wax

I have a weird question and I've searched online and cannot find the answer to this. lol so here I am.

I bought some paraffin wax from a lady recently. It was sealed up in the bag and not opened yet. She said it was her mama's and she doesn't know why but it smells like suntan lotion. She said her mom told her it was paraffin wax. It is very soft and  looks like 4627 but it smells like coconut suntan lotion.  Sure enough when I open the bag it was a little wet with light oil in it and smelled like suntan lotion coconut. Is there something wrong with this wax or is it a paracoco wax? it smells really good and I tried making melts with it and they came out amazing and do not smell like coconut. Ever heard of this happening lol the bag was sealed and nothing was dirty or anything. I wouldn't have bought it if it was messed up.

I bought some slabs from a couple  local destashes recently. Some of my slabs are off-white and some of them are pure white? They are all hard.  Does that make any sense lol 

Edited by ShelleyF
Added info

There are so many different manufacturers and types of paraffin candle wax that it’s impossible to tell without a label. “Paraffin” candle wax can have an assortment of different additives depending on what it is intended for by the manufacturer. 

To make matters more confusing, Every batch of paraffin can be different even if the same type because there’s a range of tolerances within each vat made. Color can vary, hardness can vary.

If it’s been stored in an area where temp and humidity vary some components can seep out and begin to smell. 

The best east I can say is test every one as if they are different waxes altogether, because they very well might be. 

• Like 1

Thank you. I was thinking that it might be like that I was hoping it would be easier to tell what it was though lol I did make some melts with the coconut smell  and the melts are getting good reviews from my family members and friends. The thing is I wouldn't be able to order it because I don't know what it is lol but I am thankful that I have the 4627 and know what it is and I love it. So that's something.

4 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I have never had 4627 smell like coconut. Do u think she might have put fo in with the wax since it was oily?

4 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I have never had 4627 smell like coconut. Do u think she might have put fo in with the wax since it was oily?

No because it was factory sealed, brand new. That's why I'm so confused. I hate not knowing why. Lol

8 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

No because it was factory sealed, brand new. That's why I'm so confused. I hate not knowing why. Lol

I have seen some people do crazy things. Not long after i began making candles,someone was quitting and selling off her supplies. I purchased a couple kinds of wax that she had along with a few other things. After a few weeks i had not heard anything or got what i purchased and finally got in contact. So within that week my pkgs came. I went to open the box of wax and this heifer had melted wax over other wax in the box. I was like wth. So i got it out and o m g. She was covering up mice poo. She was never to be heard from again..

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I have seen some people do crazy things. Not long after i began making candles,someone was quitting and selling off her supplies. I purchased a couple kinds of wax that she had along with a few other things. After a few weeks i had not heard anything or got what i purchased and finally got in contact. So within that week my pkgs came. I went to open the box of wax and this heifer had melted wax over other wax in the box. I was like wth. So i got it out and o m g. She was covering up mice poo. She was never to be heard from again..

That is disgusting and crazy she needed the money that bad to do something so mean and horrible. I have never got a bad destash and I've bought about 50 of them at least. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

6 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

That is disgusting and crazy she needed the money that bad to do something so mean and horrible. I have never got a bad destash and I've bought about 50 of them at least. I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

I used to buy from others all the time. I was livid,and pretty much said that to her about needing money that bad. She never responded.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, ScentedPleasurez said:

I used to buy from others all the time. I was livid,and pretty much said that to her about needing money that bad. She never responded.

I don't know how she could live with herself doing that to you. That is just  so wrong on so many levels. I always thought that candle people were sort of like an honest group with each other. I mean I wish everyone well and if I had things I wanted  to sell I sure wouldn't sell garbage. I think I would have literally got sick seeing that.

15 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Doesn’t PayPal allow 180 days for full refunds? Challenge the purchase. 

Its been awhile since that happened. I contacted paypal but had no result from them and i believe it was because i used friends and family for paying. After my ranting i said she must have needed it more than what i did. I guarantee that was a custom wax you will NOT find anywhere l o l

• Like 1

Read the PayPal user agreement. If something you purchase is not as described you have the right to challenge the transaction. 

PayPal extended the term to 180 days for all of the overseas co-ops that take that long to process and ship to the US. 

BUT this only applies if the transaction is NOT a “gift” or handled as “Friends And Family”. When people try to cheat the fees of a transaction they lose the protection of the buyer agreement.

• Like 2

Years ago, I bought some wax and molds from a friend......the wax was already scented and being a newbie, I really didn't know what I was doing...so I melted and poured........candles burned ok but looking back, I wouldn't do it again unless I knew exactly what type of wax I was getting.  Of course, back then, I didn't know one wax from another so I just chock it up to a learning experience.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2018 at 8:04 PM, Pam W said:

Years ago, I bought some wax and molds from a friend......the wax was already scented and being a newbie, I really didn't know what I was doing...so I melted and poured........candles burned ok but looking back, I wouldn't do it again unless I knew exactly what type of wax I was getting.  Of course, back then, I didn't know one wax from another so I just chock it up to a learning experience.

I have bought a lot of wax from people. Most of them were labeled. I have a ton of soy that I wish I didn't.  lol but there is nothing wrong with the soy. Just takes forever to cure. I will use it though. I have soy 414, 444, 464,CB-135, some paraffin 4627 which I love, 4630 which I love and some 4625 and some that I have no idea what it is. Also have a ton of beeswax candles. I get stuff so cheap that I have to buy it but I am not a store. I make melts and don't make candles. 

Edited by ShelleyF
Added info