What size wick for an 8oz tin?

This is directed towards the ones who use 464 wax.   I'm retesting all my 8oz tins for a wick finalization again.   I used to use a cd 12 then had to go to a cd 10 last year....Now with the soy delema that has happened I'm retesting all over again.   One of my accounts placed a MASSIVE order for tins and I have to get on this right away.....like now.   I'm now testing cd 8's.   I had a cd10 going in a couple tins last night and I need smaller......this is just such BS always retesting for new wicks but gotta do what I have to do.   If you don't care, but would some of you let me know what you use for this tin?   I believe a lot of you use eco's...I don't and hope I don't have to and hope the cd 8's are going to be the most common one to use.   Hey Forest!   Have you done any testings in any other wax than the 6006?   Geesh should I be using wicks for winter now? lol.....I still can't believe I missed that post....and I went and looked for it and still can't find it.   As funny as that post was that TT put up of yours, it really is of concern.....all kidding aside.   It's making me a nervous wreck....wicking for summer, spring, fall or winter.....but in a sense, I really can understand that it could very possibly be that solution.....

Trappeur

Well geesh, I don't know.   Ok, let me see check with the temperature is now......ok its 78 in here now and last night was probably close to that because I fell asleep in the chair and woke up about 1:00  sweating...so yeah, I'd say close to that.   And my tins I burned are probably 8 months cured....I've having to down size everything, I mean everything I make.

Trappeur

78 is higher than I would bet most homes are typically when burning candles. That alone will make it seem your wick is too big.

Trim a wick in your current batch to a bit shorter than normal (if normally you trim to 1/4", trim to 1/8" to narrow that variable a bit).

Testing an old case of wax, unfortunately, won't tell you squat on that new lot of wax.

Do you have time to send one from a new case to a few people in homes not so warm and see how they do?

This whole soy thing is total BS (are you reading Golden Brands/AKOSoy, Candle Science and anyone else that KNOWs this is a jerky thing to do to us makers?)

Funny you should mention too hot - I just blew out one made with 444 and 415  that has been curing for a full year. ECO10 wick and it went totally liquid in a few hours. Such BS. ECO10 is generally around a CD12/CD14 in my waxes.

1 minute ago, TallTayl said:

78 is higher than I would bet most homes are typically when burning candles. That alone will make it seem your wick is too big.

But what about the 8 months cure time? Is the effect going to be different for soy because in 6006 a two months cure time would pretty much counteract 6 degrees.

1 minute ago, Forrest said:

But what about the 8 months cure time? Is the effect going to be different for soy because in 6006 a two months cure time would pretty much counteract 6 degrees.

Huh?   Counteract means what Forest?   lol....

Trappeur

Not to change the subject, but the tins that I tested were pink color also when I took off the lid and I don't dye my candles..   It was sweet strawberry (Flaming).   And I use uv also.   I made them on Feb. 27'th this year.

I even cleaned out the tin and scrubbed it with an sos pad and the tin interior lining is red and doesn't come off....lol...

Trappeur

24 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Not necessarily. 464 melts soooo easily now.

The melt point is super low compared to other soys. 

Cure time only only Does so much. The wax itself is the problem. 

Besides any wax purchased now is likely pretty different from those cases. It is total BS. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Not to change the subject, but the tins that I tested were pink color also when I took off the lid and I don't dye my candles..   It was sweet strawberry (Flaming).   And I use uv also.   I made them on Feb. 27'th this year.

I even cleaned out the tin and scrubbed it with an sos pad and the tin interior lining is red and doesn't come off....lol...

Trappeur

This could be the fo causing all the trouble. Two scents I use require a wick down of 3-4 sizes in all of my waxes. 

Well the only thing I can say on this subject is CD8s and CD6s test the same for me and they work fine with 6006 in tins at 80 degrees, but If I burn them in my bedroom they tunnel. I always thought 464 needed a bigger wick than 6006, it that is true then I can't see anything smaller than a CD10. My guess is it has to do with the batch you are testing and the results might not work for new candles. Not much help am I?