What in the world is wrong with me?

I can’t even believe I am thinking of trying out a soy/paraffin wax. I have been making soy candles for at least 10 years now. I would say it took me about a year and a half to finally feel like I had a good product. I do not have hardly any experience working with paraffin. I dabbled in it here and there but just didn’t feel like I had came up with the right combinations of wax and wicks. Plus it was so long ago that I can’t remember exactly which waxes I tried and I think I tossed out my notes thinking I’m never gonna use paraffin. If there is anyone that does a soy/paraffin blend and would be willing to share wax/wick would be so very appreciated. I understand if you do not want to because I know how hard we all work to get a good candle. I will definitely be testing. (just the thought of that should be enough to make me change my mind) but when I get something in my head, I hate to give up. When I started making soy candles I never knew about this forum, which would have really helped so much. I have been going thru older posts and trying to get as many pointers/ where to even begin as I can find. I use htp wicks now. Have you ever burned a candle that was actually to strong? A friend of mine gave me a candle a couple weeks ago. She didn’t remember where she got it from though. I lit it and OH MY GOSH! I have never had such a strong candle. It’s almost to strong. It says it’s a soy blend so that is where I got this brilliant idea. I know i have some 6006 and 4730. Might even have some 4798 I think it was called. Even if anyone could give some starting out advice I sure would appreciate it! TIA :) 

I just posted a very similar topic - I am looking on advice for wicking.  I started out using 100% Soy but found the Scent Throw did not meet my expectations and I did not like the look of the candle after it burned.  I've tested a few formulas and I am happy with 75% IGI 4627 and 25% 464.  The scent throw is great and the appearance is great - just having a little bit of trouble finding the right wick to use.

Be forewarned if you decide to test IGI 4627 it is very messy - it almost has a Vaseline like consistency.  I choose 4627 because it holds the most scent and the reviews I read said it had a very good CT and HT.

The reason I decided to blend was I like the scent throw qualities and the smoothness of the paraffin but I like the creaminess of the soy. 

• Like 3

I've tried all kinds of blends looking for that holy grail.  At the end of the day, I didn't find that anything I blended was superior to what's already on the market.  
Your wick choice could be somewhat dependent on your percentages.  For parasoy, I use 6006 and zinc wicks.  I think it is something like 70 paraffin/30 soy.  CD wicks work well with it also.
But I'm curious...if you are looking to go parasoy, why not just use 6006?

14 hours ago, bfroberts said:

I've tried all kinds of blends looking for that holy grail.  At the end of the day, I didn't find that anything I blended was superior to what's already on the market.  
Your wick choice could be somewhat dependent on your percentages.  For parasoy, I use 6006 and zinc wicks.  I think it is something like 70 paraffin/30 soy.  CD wicks work well with it also.
But I'm curious...if you are looking to go parasoy, why not just use 6006?

It seems like I tried 6006 but there was so much soot. Maybe I just don’t have the right with a combination.  I think I have almost a full case so I could go back and try that wax. 

15 hours ago, jaxonmurphy said:

I just posted a very similar topic - I am looking on advice for wicking.  I started out using 100% Soy but found the Scent Throw did not meet my expectations and I did not like the look of the candle after it burned.  I've tested a few formulas and I am happy with 75% IGI 4627 and 25% 464.  The scent throw is great and the appearance is great - just having a little bit of trouble finding the right wick to use.

Be forewarned if you decide to test IGI 4627 it is very messy - it almost has a Vaseline like consistency.  I choose 4627 because it holds the most scent and the reviews I read said it had a very good CT and HT.

The reason I decided to blend was I like the scent throw qualities and the smoothness of the paraffin but I like the creaminess of the soy. 

Thanks so much for your post!! :) 

I'm a big fan of Candlewic's custom waxes.

Their parasoy blend, CBL 130, is very easy to work with and has really good throw. It does very well with HTP wicks. 

If you're looking for more control over your blend, their CBL 125 is an outstanding paraffin that blends well with soy and creates a creamy container candle.

Just my .02! 😁

• Like 2