i want to make these melts

18 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.....They would look just beautiful to sell as tarts in a nice jar like this tureen where people would pickout the tart/melt and put in their warmer to burn.   

Now what I'm going to do is pour a regular candle and let it get a heavy slush  and add a few tarts already made into the candle and push what ever I can against the glass walls so you can see bits and pieces of the tart melts as it solidifies.  If I can add the melts at the right temperature I'm pretty sure they won't dissolve.   Then I'm going to push the melts into the top of the candle while the candle is more than slushy but a loose firm...lol.....lol...geesh am I making sense or what?  Then after the top melts are in the wax I would let the candle do its thing and get completely firm and then do a second pour but pour only on top of the wax, not over the melts...I know I can do it....well, I think I can...well I know I can....You don't need tons of melts in the candle as like JC said it will not burn correctly...without a doubt it wouldn't.   But I'm gonna give it and try and take pictures and see how it comes out....

Trappeur

Trapp ,I know you can easily accomplish this project 😀

Lol....However me that's a whole new can of worms.

I do not have near the experience or knowledge that you have with candle making. 

I am going to use your tutorial method & see if I can at least try...

Thank you for posting in such great detail, will help me out a lot.

I look forward to your finished pics. I will post mine as well . It will take me some time & I just hope I can keep my patience thru it all. The wicking seems to always be the big challenge for me with candle making . 

22 minutes ago, Pam W said:

Repeating yourself (aka double post) is not a criminal offense......and it actually gives me a reprive on the stupid posts that I make.

So true Pam!!!

I have made some pretty darn silly post myself .Thanks, I don't feel so alone with this Lol 😉 You made my Day !!!

Kat

2 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Trapp ,I know you can easily accomplish this project 😀

Lol....However me that's a whole new can of worms.

I do not have near the experience or knowledge that you have with candle making. 

I am going to use your tutorial method & see if I can at least try...

Thank you for posting in such great detail, will help me out a lot.

I look forward to your finished pics. I will post mine as well . It will take me some time & I just hope I can keep my patience thru it all. The wicking seems to always be the big challenge for me with candle making . 

Well, thanks in having faith in me Kat....glad someone does....but you know I'm not changing my regular wick size of whatever jar I use.  When I'm doing a candle that has 3 or even 4 wicks I always have those little doo dad/melts on the top of the wax and the big jars I do sometimes I wind up using 5 embeds and they burn perfect...so I'm not going to go hog crazy with a lot of melts on the top so I will start from there.   Wish me luck.

Trappeur

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Well, thanks in having faith in me Kat....glad someone does....but you know I'm not changing my regular wick size of whatever jar I use.  When I'm doing a candle that has 3 or even 4 wicks I always have those little doo dad/melts on the top of the wax and the big jars I do sometimes I wind up using 5 embeds and they burn perfect...so I'm not going to go hog crazy with a lot of melts on the top so I will start from there.   Wish me luck.

Trappeur

I know yours will turn out perfect . I wish ya luck ,but you will do this I know .It's me that will need the luck . I am going to do my best so the shapes will show thru the glass .If this at all possible with my hand at it ...Lol 

I have seen pics of your gorgeous candles here on CS . I love the added touch with the melts on top. 😀

On 7/16/2018 at 9:42 PM, Trappeur said:

... I'm going to try that in the next couple of days...and I know I use 464.....

I think what I would do is pour the entire candle in my regular 464, and when the wax is at the slushy/more firm stage I am going to add the embeds and slide them into the slush and push up against the walls of the jar ...

... Now I would let my jar candle firm up pretty good with enough firmness but soft enough so I can push the embeds into the wax. Then I would do a slight repour as the final step on the candle top...Now this is what I am thinking of how I will make it.

Trappeur

I think the soy wax isn't going to allow you to see the embeds ... in other words, the embeds are going to be there, but you may not be able to see them much, that's my opinion on this anyway.  I really think you need a more transparent wax for the overpour.  I agree with you about the mica ... I have a feeling mica can clog wicks.

I thought I'd share this ... these were some old shamrock embeds left over from using them in gel candles years ago.  I broke them up into pieces and put them in a jar ... now, I didn't press them up against the glass as I do with gel candles, but the jar was pretty full and the embeds were in there kind of tight.  If I had used a paraffin wax, you may be able to see the chunks much better, but I was simply trying to use them up, so I poured soy over them.  The soy is very milky, so the wax kind of takes over.

chunkjarcandle2.jpg.5e293ba3a9e214f596ebda55cf59f398.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Your candle looks nice !

I may be trying to do something that's not possible ,wanting to get the embeds on the sides of the jar & make them visible as possible .

I was planning to do Christmas theme melts for gifts . I am going to attempt to do this project according to Trapps method .I am excited to see her results .

Thank you bunches !

Kat

3 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

Your candle looks nice !

I may be trying to do something that's not possible ,wanting to get the embeds on the sides of the jar & make them visible as possible .

I was planning to do Christmas theme melts for gifts . I am going to attempt to do this project according to Trapps method .I am excited to see her results .

Thank you bunches !

Kat

It's possible. I've done it, and I think there is a tutorial on candletech also. (same as where this tutorial is at) (not the best pic attached below but I did these a while ago) 

Picture 127.jpg

Picture 128.jpg

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

I meant to add, you have to add/attach the embeds up against the glass before pouring your over pour. As you can see, if you don't the overpour will seep and go inbetween the embed and the glass. 

Yes! Yes! Absolutely Amazing! This is exactly the way I want mine to look using Christmas melts & colors. JC these candles you made are sooooo awsome .

Thank you so much for sharing the pics . I will probably end up to embarrassed to post my results.

I want to give this a try & I can at least say I did attempt to do so right lol. I certainly do not have the experience you & many others here have .

I feel fortunate to at least have you all to demonstrate your success. I appreciate your post so very much .

Thank you bunches

Kat

• Like 1

Birdcharm, your candle is really beautiful!  I love it and that is how I imagined mine would turn out.  What wax is that?  Are your embeds of the same wax too?

Jane, your candles too are beautiful.  What wax is that and did you use the same wax for the embeds.  I'm looking at the embeds and they are really translucent to me.  They look like ice cubes.  Now when you did your repour did you drizzle your repour wax as what it looks like over the embeds?  Now I know I couldn't drizzle my 464 repour over the embeds as it surely will turn out looking like Fido's butt...I know that won't work but I will do the repour over just the top of the wax in the candle.  But you know what, if I can't get the embeds to show up in the body of the candle jar, doing the embeds in the contrasting colors as in the original picture with slight gold mica over them, I think you could still have a "stunning" candle...I truly do.  Just gotta test the waters and make them and see.

Kat, I disagree with you saying that you would end up making something not good and would be too embarrassed to put up pictures.  I know you could do something fabulous and I have learned so much from you here on the forum and especially you always suggesting what scents are great and duds and your always helping people out.  Shoot you should see some of these disastrous bombs I have made!  But it's fun isn't it?  So you should get going and try it...I'm going to.  And yep put up pictures!  I'd love to see them.  And who cares or gives a crap if they don't turn out, we can all admire, drool or yes, even for that matter laugh at them....!   Well at least you tried.  And we all have fun here anyway, and that's what its all about anyways the way I look at it...:thumbsup:

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Birdcharm, your candle is really beautiful!  I love it and that is how I imagined mine would turn out.  What wax is that?  Are your embeds of the same wax too?

Jane, your candles too are beautiful.  What wax is that and did you use the same wax for the embeds.  I'm looking at the embeds and they are really translucent to me.  They look like ice cubes.  Now when you did your repour did you drizzle your repour wax as what it looks like over the embeds?  Now I know I couldn't drizzle my 464 repour over the embeds as it surely will turn out looking like Fido's butt...I know that won't work but I will do the repour over just the top of the wax in the candle.  But you know what, if I can't get the embeds to show up in the body of the candle jar, doing the embeds in the contrasting colors as in the original picture with slight gold mica over them, I think you could still have a "stunning" candle...I truly do.  Just gotta test the waters and make them and see.

Kat, I disagree with you saying that you would end up making something not good and would be too embarrassed to put up pictures.  I know you could do something fabulous and I have learned so much from you here on the forum and especially you always suggesting what scents are great and duds and your always helping people out.  Shoot you should see some of these disastrous bombs I have made!  But it's fun isn't it?  So you should get going and try it...I'm going to.  And yep put up pictures!  I'd love to see them.  And who cares or gives a crap if they don't turn out, we can all admire, drool or yes, even for that matter laugh at them....!   Well at least you tried.  And we all have fun here anyway, and that's what its all about anyways the way I look at it...:thumbsup:

Trappeur

Thanks Trapp!

I am going to at least try ,will post pics too. Hey your right 

I can at least say I tried right . 

I just do not have much experience with candies ,so I lack confidence .lol.

I do agree it is fun trying new projects.  

I know it will take time for me to get this finished ,however I will keep you posted on my progress . I am going thru some container jars now to decide which ones I wanna use. I have some cute Lil Chrismas tart molds fir the embeds . 

I love helping people & you know I always get Blessed in return . I am blessed to have found this site 😉

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

....  What wax is that?  Are your embeds of the same wax too?

I used GW464 (Akosoy 5702-02-02) for that ... as I said, I only made it to get rid of those embeds I had left over, which were originally intended for gel candles, so they were made with a high melt point paraffin wax (160-165dF) ... a "hurricane" wax.  When using them in gel candles, the high temp wax is less likely to melt when meeting up with the hot gel if poured correctly.

A few years ago during holidays, I made some wax "cookies" and placed them on top, pouring over just slightly enough to make them "stick."  With these, the embeds were paraffin mixed with a little soy and the candle was soy.  I found a couple of pics, so I thought I'd share them with you ...

waxcookies.JPG.9460f90bbf2aea979a4a10ba3fc74530.JPGwaxcookiescandle.JPG.c36772209d725d131c297ecf375d393e.JPG

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I used GW464 (Akosoy 5702-02-02) for that ... as I said, I only made it to get rid of those embeds I had left over, which were originally intended for gel candles, so they were made with a high melt point paraffin wax (160-165dF) ... a "hurricane" wax.  When using them in gel candles, the high temp wax is less likely to melt when meeting up with the hot gel if poured correctly.

A few years ago during holidays, I made some wax "cookies" and placed them on top, pouring over just slightly enough to make them "stick."  With these, the embeds were paraffin mixed with a little soy and the candle was soy.  I found a couple of pics, so I thought I'd share them with you ...

waxcookies.JPG.9460f90bbf2aea979a4a10ba3fc74530.JPGwaxcookiescandle.JPG.c36772209d725d131c297ecf375d393e.JPG

These are absolutely FABULOUS !!!!

You have really inspired me to give this a try 😀

Love the holiday theme as well.

Thanks for sharing 

Kat

• Like 1

Oh good ... thanks you two for letting me know I've offered some inspiration!

I almost didn't post about it because when I made a few of these and took them to my local consignment gift shop, I ended up bringing them back home in January ... didn't sell for some reason!  Anyway, that was good news for me because I got to burn them myself!  :)

... I found another picture for you!

waxcookiescandlelit.JPG.5d58470d8889ad86138d6ba4dfc7f033.JPG 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 8:21 PM, birdcharm said:

Oh good ... thanks you two for letting me know I've offered some inspiration!

I almost didn't post about it because when I made a few of these and took them to my local consignment gift shop, I ended up bringing them back home in January ... didn't sell for some reason!  Anyway, that was good news for me because I got to burn them myself!  :)

... I found another picture for you!

waxcookiescandlelit.JPG.5d58470d8889ad86138d6ba4dfc7f033.JPG 

Darn I would have definitely purchased your candles ,so perfect for the holidays 😉

On 7/21/2018 at 8:36 AM, Trappeur said:

Jane, your candles too are beautiful.  What wax is that and did you use the same wax for the embeds.  I'm looking at the embeds and they are really translucent to me.  They look like ice cubes.  Now when you did your repour did you drizzle your repour wax as what it looks like over the embeds? 

Oh gosh, I made these sooo long ago I'm not sure if they were the same wax. I probably used a straight paraffin for the embeds. I know I warmed my glass to get the heart embeds to stick to the side, then the chunked cubes to help hold them there before doing my overpour. I put embeds on all 4 sides of the glass, and no, I didn't drizzle, (which is what makes me think I used a straight paraffin for the embeds) I just melted, scented, and poured like I normally would, however, I didn't pour down all in 1 spot, I did try to make sure all the embeds had overpour wax on them, but I didn't go slow or use cool wax or anything.  

There is one (didn't actually get that good of a pic of it) where the heart was slightly pulling away from the glass, and the pink wax got up in-between the embed and the glass. When that happens it doesn't look that pretty. 

On 7/20/2018 at 6:53 PM, katmeltswax said:

Yes! Yes! Absolutely Amazing! This is exactly the way I want mine to look using Christmas melts & colors. JC these candles you made are sooooo awsome .

Thank you so much for sharing the pics . I will probably end up to embarrassed to post my results.

I want to give this a try & I can at least say I did attempt to do so right lol. I certainly do not have the experience you & many others here have .

I feel fortunate to at least have you all to demonstrate your success. I appreciate your post so very much .

Thank you bunches

Kat

thank you. They were fun and frustrating all at the same time. LOL 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

thank you. They were fun and frustrating all at the same time. LOL 

It's a very cute idea, esp. with those containers, but it's a hard design with wax, imo ... much easier to achieve with candle gel.  :)

20 minutes ago, katmeltswax said:

Darn I would have definitely purchased your candles ,so perfect for the holidays 😉

I think it may have had to do with the display area the store had at the time, as they were not over-priced and they smelled nice.  Also, this was several years ago, I think wax melts are more popular now, so this type of design may attract more attention nowadays.  It could have also been that I needed a hang tag or something that maybe said, "Cookies & Milk for Santa" or something silly like that ... an eye-catcher sort of thing, as the store was full of holiday stuff and I think my stuff got lost that year (one reason why I didn't go back ... too much to try to check on such things!)  So, don't let my experience discourage you at all ... I think there is a place for holiday cookies candles!  🤗

• Like 1