Suggestions on making soy candles

I am interested in making soy candles but with so many wax choices, I am not sure what to purchase. Can anyone provide me with tips on which supplies (wax, wick, fragrance, etc.) to purchase to make soy candles in sunny, humid South Florida.  Any tips/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hi BornBarb!

Yep, there are a lot of choices when it comes to making candles. And everyone will have their own favorite materials in endless combinations.

Is there a particular reason you want to use soy? I don't want to discourage you, but paraffin is so much easier to work with as a beginner. Or a parasoy. 100% soy can be difficult to master, which is frustrating for many. 

Do you have a specific supplier in mind? Whatever your wax selection, you may want to start with a major brand like IGI or GW as their products are readily available from many different suppliers. The wax you choose will determine the wicks you use.

HTH!

The Flaming Candle would be a good supplier choice for your location. Shipping is fast and reasonable. They sell waxes in 5# quantity so you could start with a minimal investment.  They are also generous with advice and answer emails quickly.  You can ask them for a wick suggestion for the wax and container you have in mind.  Or you could buy a kit.  Read reviews to determine which fragrances are known to work with the wax you choose.  When I used soy, I liked 464 with Premier wicks.  I think I used a 765-767 for 8oz square mason jars, if I am remembering correctly, but with the changes in soy wax that may no longer work.

• Like 1

Only advice I can give you at this point is to look at the supplier list by state and find someone who carries everything you'll need or a kit and buy everything from them to start out.  Otherwise you will waste a whole bunch of $ on shipping from multiple suppliers.  Once you see if you even like doing this, you can branch out if you're not happy with the products you have.

Hot and humid narrows your wax choices, which can be a very good thing! If you plan to eventually sell, outdoor venues will require some pretty high melt point wax.  If you plan to share by selling or gifting, shipping will mean you need wax with a pretty high melt point too. Those shipping carriers get HOT. Often my base waxes and butters for soap and candles arrive melted from the extremely hot delivery trucks.

Soy can be a challenge to work well in your area, but many people make it work. I’d lean toward either paraffin with a high melt point, or palm personally. Beeswax will survive temps, but is very limiting when the plan is to make containers. Both tend to be simpler to master than soy.