Palm wax tarts

I just poured some palm wax tarts for my dad.  My question is this how long does it take on average to cool the wax enough to demold them.   First time making tarts.

My dad wanted me to make him some blackberry tarts so i bought a candy mold to use.  He has no idea what the shape of the tarts will be as i have not told him  and he is not in my room to see the mold so he will be surprised.  I got a penguin mold since he loves penguins.  I screwed up on pouring a few so they look a bit crappy.

These are the tarts.

100_0484.jpg

Edited by ncraiders

ok i tested one and they were ready to be removed so i removed them all.  Here are the unmolded ones.  came out pretty darn good. Lighting makes them look bluish for some reason.

100_0485.jpg

Edited by ncraiders
  • Like 2

lol i made 27 tarts out of 5.3 ounces of wax.  each one is roughly .225 ounces.  I used a full lavender chip in the 5.3 ounces as i did nothave anything to make a darker purple in my was chip sample pack.  wish the purple was a darker shade than it actually is.  I need to buy 2 more of these molds as trying to make smaller batches than half a pound is to annoying to do.

Edited by ncraiders

What type of container should i store these tarts in while they are not being used.  Is a Ziploc a bad choice?  Also what is the cure time for the wax in tarts if there is anyone else making tats with palm wax on here.

For my personal use, I store my wax tarts in glass jars. I like to do shapes and colors like you did with those little penguin cuties, so that way I can enjoy looking at them before I melt them.

You could also use Tupperware, cleaned up yogurt tubs, any rigid plastic. Don't use zip locks, most plastic baggies are made with the polythelene (I think that's the right name but double check me!) plastic that is porous and will pull out your fragrance.

Tarts generally benefit from the same length of cure as candles. So at least a week for that palm. 

If if I have enough time today, I am going to make some palm tarts too! Did you use the glass glow? I got the crystal pillar from CW, I'm going to start with that and see how they do.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

For my personal use, I store my wax tarts in glass jars. I like to do shapes and colors like you did with those little penguin cuties, so that way I can enjoy looking at them before I melt them.

You could also use Tupperware, cleaned up yogurt tubs, any rigid plastic. Don't use zip locks, most plastic baggies are made with the polythelene (I think that's the right name but double check me!) plastic that is porous and will pull out your fragrance.

Tarts generally benefit from the same length of cure as candles. So at least a week for that palm. 

If if I have enough time today, I am going to make some palm tarts too! Did you use the glass glow? I got the crystal pillar from CW, I'm going to start with that and see how they do.

no this was using really crappy crystal pillar palm from hobby lobby was lazy and did not wanna return it.  so figured i will just make tarts out of it.  I thought about trying with glass glow but the problem is i don't think it would come out of the mold as easy since it is a container wax.

After i use this crap wax i will order some feather palm with my next glass glow palm order.  I think i will like the feather palm more for the tarts.  I have a little army of penguin tarts atm.  Dad has 27 of them and i still have more to make.  In the end there will be roughly 75 penguin tarts.  as these use  roughly a quarter of an ouce per tart.  I got better pouring the tarts with the second batch I made.  Now to order another 2 mold so i can make 1/2 pound batches.  

I do need to find me a good tart warmer now tho.  as i will most likely make myself some tarts in a different mold later.

Edited by ncraiders

29 minutes ago, ncraiders said:

i don't think it would come out of the mold as easy since it is a container wax.

Glass glow, although a container wax, makes amazing tarts and would release from the mold just fine. It's hard enough that it will hold it's shape, and palm releases from molds like a dream. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jcandleattic said:

Glass glow, although a container wax, makes amazing tarts and would release from the mold just fine. It's hard enough that it will hold it's shape, and palm releases from molds like a dream. 

yay i can just use wax i will have on hand for making normal candles then.

Can you actually use the tart clamshells for palm wax melts?  Cause everyone of the clamshells i find claim a 160 pour temp.  I dont mind making special shaped ones for my dad or mom but i don't really care what shape they are since they will be melted anyways.

Yes you can. I ordered a sample back from Nature's Garden to try it out, but now order in bulk from candleclamshells. I wait til the temp drops to just below 170 to pour. (I use feather palm)

• Like 2

Looks like i might have to make my own mold for tarts for my mom.  can't find a decently priced mold for either butterflies or hummingbirds.  so i will look at buying a single mold i found then using it to make my own multi cavity mold.

On 6/3/2018 at 11:44 PM, ncraiders said:

Can you actually use the tart clamshells for palm wax melts?  Cause everyone of the clamshells i find claim a 160 pour temp.  I dont mind making special shaped ones for my dad or mom but i don't really care what shape they are since they will be melted anyways.

You can but because you have to pour at such a low temperature, and the plastic makes the wax cool fast, you lose the crystalization of the palm. 

I did get a chance to make some tarts with the crystal pillar palm, and I just love the way they turned out. 886E8A8A-8E5E-4CA3-A486-E7F48CD06BE9.thumb.jpeg.fb9ef028c717204dc37ab9efc5e52296.jpeg

E08E4F41-D94C-44D0-9F7A-32CB924A4935.thumb.jpeg.6379e8f6c59b89d39d995427e7135f2a.jpeg

I let them sit for a week, but my throw isn’t quite where I want it. I think at least two of the fragrances, the problem is with the FO itself. I also used 6% load instead of my usual 8%, so that is probably a factor too. Plus I have the AC and fans going - why do I even bother to test in the summer? 🤣

I’m pouring another batch tonight with some strong throwers and my usual 8%, we’ll see if that helps!

• Like 2

NICE!  My dad is using some of the penguin tarts i made downstairs.  one of my brothers and both my parents can smell them downstairs but i can't really smell them.  either i am stopped up some or it is just a fragrance i can't smell to well.

3 hours ago, ncraiders said:

NICE!  My dad is using some of the penguin tarts i made downstairs.  one of my brothers and both my parents can smell them downstairs but i can't really smell them.  either i am stopped up some or it is just a fragrance i can't smell to well.

You poured a lot of those tarts, I bet it's just candle nose!

3 hours ago, ncraiders said:

I need more molds for tarts as the only one i have is the penguin one i bought for my dad.

I use silicone candy molds from Walmart and AC moore. I've gotten some great ones cheap on seasonal clearance.

22 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

You poured a lot of those tarts, I bet it's just candle nose!

I use silicone candy molds from Walmart and AC moore. I've gotten some great ones cheap on seasonal clearance.

I bought a silicone mold yesterday that was fairly cheap but that one sucked.  Could not get the tarts out of the mold at all.  in the end i had a container full of little scented wax pieces.  that mold is now in the trash.  I know it wasn't the wax as I used another mold i had on hand and those popped right out.  Ohh well the mold was only a dollar.