Prototype device for keeping popsicle sticks centered

Someone mentioned the problem of keeping popsicle sticks centered, which is a problem I also have, and that got me thinking. I already had an idea in my head but the problem was what to build it out of. The device below is made from foam board, it may not be ideal but it was all I could think of that was thick enough and that I could cut a curve in, if some crafty person has a better idea I would love to hear it. This one isn’t pretty, but the razor knife I used was dull and a little rusty. It works well, if you bump the popsicle stick it will spin, but the hole stays in the center, and the wick doesn’t move. The wick will need to be clipped with something, a hair clip, cloths pin, or some other clip. I’ll probably cut my wick shorter and use a small binder clip, but something lightweight would be better.

IMG_1555.thumb.jpg.408e9ddb648a9e595c1eb529d46f805f.jpgIMG_1554.thumb.jpg.07b023412dba81d6e2aadcc65405b811.jpg
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

nice idea.  I had wondered how someone could keep the popsicle stick in place.  I use the bow tie  wick holders cause they came in a kit i bought.  but those dont center to well to be honest.  they move to easy..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

Looks good, but I would recommend securing the wick with a clothespin to ensure it doesn't wiggle out of place as the wax cools.  

You live on the other side of the state from me.  I live in a small town roughly a hour from St. Louis.

On 5/9/2018 at 8:42 AM, Forrest said:

Someone mentioned the problem of keeping popsicle sticks centered, which is a problem I also have, and that got me thinking. I already had an idea in my head but the problem was what to build it out of. The device below is made from foam board, it may not be ideal but it was all I could think of that was thick enough and that I could cut a curve in, if some crafty person has a better idea I would love to hear it. This one isn’t pretty, but the razor knife I used was dull and a little rusty. It works well, if you bump the popsicle stick it will spin, but the hole stays in the center, and the wick doesn’t move. The wick will need to be clipped with something, a hair clip, cloths pin, or some other clip. I’ll probably cut my wick shorter and use a small binder clip, but something lightweight would be better.

IMG_1555.thumb.jpg.408e9ddb648a9e595c1eb529d46f805f.jpgIMG_1554.thumb.jpg.07b023412dba81d6e2aadcc65405b811.jpg

That was my thread regarding keeping the wick centered when cooling.  This is a cool idea!  I use little silver hair clips to hold my wick in place.  I'm going to think about your contraption and see how I can use it.  Thanks!  

7 hours ago, lightmyfire said:

That was my thread regarding keeping the wick centered when cooling.  This is a cool idea!  I use little silver hair clips to hold my wick in place.  I'm going to think about your contraption and see how I can use it.  Thanks!  

Yes, thank you. I just bought some of those silver hair clips.

Made my first candle using this device and it worked perfectly. I know my wick is in the center because I can spin the popsicle stick and the wick doesn't move. I clipped with the silver hair clips lightmyfire recommended, worked like a charm.I bought some new blades for my X-Acto knife. When I make more I'll take pictures and post some instructions. This is the first time that I know my wick is in the middle.

Thanks Forrest I'm the one who needs something for my tiny jars, your idea might just work for those.  I've tried using the X design that are just a bit too big but they slide and just a bit off is a lot in this jar.

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

Thanks Forrest I'm the one who needs something for my tiny jars, your idea might just work for those.  I've tried using the X design that are just a bit too big but they slide and just a bit off is a lot in this jar.

As long as you can use a "popsicle stick" it will work. You cut the foam board to match the diameter of your container. 

• Like 1

I use the wick bars to center my wicks...I do the first pour and come back later to make sure that the wick is centered........sometimes as the wax hardens, it can pull the wick off center a little so I recenter the wick as needed thoughout the cooling process.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Forrest said:

As long as you can use a "popsicle stick" it will work. You cut the foam board to match the diameter of your container. 

Thanks, I think I have a visual of how to do it, but we'll see when it comes down to reality!

• Like 1