For the ones who use 4630 wax.....

For the ones who use 4630 straight up, I have a few questions as I am going to try that wax out.

I've never done a paraffin so this is my first.

1.  What preference wicks do you use?   I have cd wicks (lots), some htp's and l believe lots of eco's.

2.  What cure time to you give this wax?

3.  Do you find it is a 1 pour wax?   It doesn't make a difference to me if I have to do a small repour on the top but would like to know.

4.  What is a good pour temperature?

5.  Any problems I should look for like sink holes?

6.  I have no clue where to even start as far as choosing a wick size for a jar.  

I use tons of these jars and if there is anyway anyone wouldn't mind telling me what wicks they suggest for these jars, I would sure appreciate it!

A.  16oz pint canning ball jars - the small mouth

B.  16oz country comfort jar

C.  32oz quart canning jar - wide mouth

D.  Don't know if anyone does much in double and triple wicking of large containers as I do, but I will throw out a few size crystals pieces I use so if anyone

does do them, I might get starting point?

5 1/2" diameter jars - I use 3 wicks in these in 3 cd7 but that is in 464

6" diameter jars - use the same as the 5 1/2"

4 1/2" diameter jar - I use 2 cd 6

Thankyou all!

Trappeur

• Like 1

Trapp ,I am watching your thread to get tips as well. I do not have alot of experience with candle making ,have poured some for myself.I used 4630 ,pour temp at 160 ,no sink holes on the ones I have made ,great throw with a 3 day cure time .I only used zinc or hemp wicks .The zincs did soot on my jars ,so hope to get some good tips here .I do think you will like the 4630 😀 I buy 4630 from Flaming & Aztec for my wax melts ,shipping not to awful to Tx .

I am watching this thread as well for tips. I just started blending 464 and 4630 to help with scent throw. So far I have noticed a stronger HT, smoother/creamier surface but I have been getting one big sink hole, more like a depression in the center of the candle around the wick. If anyone has any advice on what may be causing the depression and how to resolve it, please let me know!

7 minutes ago, KaylaN said:

I am watching this thread as well for tips. I just started blending 464 and 4630 to help with scent throw. So far I have noticed a stronger HT, smoother/creamier surface but I have been getting one big sink hole, more like a depression in the center of the candle around the wick. If anyone has any advice on what may be causing the depression and how to resolve it, please let me know!

Kayla,  

1.   What ratio are you using.

2.  What;s your cure time

3.  What wicks too.

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

60/40 464 to 4630. In a 3" diameter I've only tested an ECO 14 and it works pretty well - but leaves the burn pool about 2mm from the edge of the jar. Im testing ECO 16 next to see if thats a better fit. I cured mine for a week before burning.

a depression as you describe can be from cooling. THe middle cools last, after the top and sides. The wax has no choice at that point other than to shrink inward.  

Pouring much cooler can help, but you may end up needing to heat gun the top, or do a second pour if that uneven look bothers you. Personally, I leave it. Not one single customer has ever mentioned anything if the candle top is not perfectly level. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2018 at 6:13 AM, Trappeur said:

For the ones who use 4630 straight up, I have a few questions as I am going to try that wax out.

I've never done a paraffin so this is my first.

1.  What preference wicks do you use?   I have cd wicks (lots), some htp's and l believe lots of eco's.ECOs

2.  What cure time to you give this wax? None...I lite that baby when it's cooled.

3.  Do you find it is a 1 pour wax?   It doesn't make a difference to me if I have to do a small repour on the top but would like to know. Yes,  if the top is a little rough, I just hit with heat gun

4.  What is a good pour temperature? I pour at 160

5.  Any problems I should look for like sink holes? Not really but it never hurts to poke a hole or two

6.  I have no clue where to even start as far as choosing a wick size for a jar.  

I use tons of these jars and if there is anyway anyone wouldn't mind telling me what wicks they suggest for these jars, I would sure appreciate it!

A.  16oz pint canning ball jars - the small mouthJust guessing: start with Eco 8

B.  16oz country comfort jar

C.  32oz quart canning jar - wide mouth--probably a #10

D.  Don't know if anyone does much in double and triple wicking of large containers as I do, but I will throw out a few size crystals pieces I use so if anyone

does do them, I might get starting point?

5 1/2" diameter jars - I use 3 wicks in these in 3 cd7 but that is in 464

6" diameter jars - use the same as the 5 1/2"

4 1/2" diameter jar - I use 2 cd 6

Thankyou all!

Trappeur

I've answered what I could 

• Like 1