I want to fool around with some silicone molds and some paraffin. In my reading I saw mentioned that stearic acid can damage the silicone. Supposedly the stearic pits it.

What can I use in place of stearic? OR, should I just make it with plain paraffin and assume that the person is buying it as a showpiece and not for burning?

There's often "some" amount of stearic in most natural waxes. I DO use mold release with all of my waxes in silicone. My use is mostly with beeswax which can be pretty hard on silicone molds.

If there's a wick, someone at some time will light it. Just how it goes with candles.

• Thanks 1

On 4/29/2018 at 12:05 PM, Quentin said:

I want to fool around with some silicone molds and some paraffin. In my reading I saw mentioned that stearic acid can damage the silicone. Supposedly the stearic pits it.

What can I use in place of stearic? OR, should I just make it with plain paraffin and assume that the person is buying it as a showpiece and not for burning?

Ok, please tell me what you're wanting to make because I' m confused.  ANY candle that I produce will have a 'burn quality'....it's just part of the initial quality of the candle.........but if you want to produce some candles that are not intended to be burned and only used for decoration purposes, then that is a whole nother story.

Pls give us more info on what you are trying to create at this point in time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Pam W said:

Ok, please tell me what you're wanting to make because I' m confused.  ANY candle that I produce will have a 'burn quality'....it's just part of the initial quality of the candle.........but if you want to produce some candles that are not intended to be burned and only used for decoration purposes, then that is a whole nother story.

Pls give us more info on what you are trying to create at this point in time.

Let me clarify. I have some silicone molds. I want to make pillar candles with these molds. I read that stearic can destroy the mold. I don't want that to happen. Whether or not the customer chooses to burn them, I care not at all. If they DO choose to burn them, I want them to have a candle that will not collapse the first time they light it. What can I use as a substitute for stearic acid, so my silicone mold will not be damaged and the customer gets a candle that will not collapse?

What can I use as a substitute for stearic acid that won't damage my mold?  I should have just said that in the first place. Sorry. :)

Q