Fragrance oil mixing

Hey guys

can anyone please guide me... I am confused. Some people say just stir in the fragrance a bit as it will evaporate if you over mix ! Some guys swear by the two minute mixing rule as they say the FO will not bind to the wax if not mixed well... People over the Internet have such opposing views and I have yet to find a very academic and informative web site with reliable and tested info ...even after I have done an expensive course in candle making I feel challenged everyday and keep second guessing myself! Fragrances really test you ! Thank you guys in advance...

When making anything you want the most homogenous blend possible. 

Under mixing can result in pooling, sinking, ribbons of scent, floating, sweating, etc. all of these are potential fire hazards, and will result in uneven scent distribution for the life of that candle. 

Mixing at temperatures too low can result in the same issues.

most of us who make candles have observed that wax swells when warm, shrinks when cooled. We see this in dips, cracks, cavities, sink holes, lower fill lines with traces of the wax on the sides, etc. Sufficiently warmed Wax molecules are generally larger than the fragrance molecules. When the wax begins to shrink as it cools, the molecules trap the fragrance molecules neatly between the wax. To some who misunderstand the physics, this makes the candle initially “seem” less scented, or that they mistake this for having burned off fragrance. This is totally untrue.

• Like 1

Two minutes is the rule that most people take as fact. I did some reading on this board and some people that I trust said you just need to stir until it is well blended. If you think about it stirring slowly for two minutes is no better than stirring vigorously for half a minute. Just make sure the FO is well blended in the wax. I highly recommend the search function for these forums, there was some good discussion on this subject in the past. Hang around a while and you'll learn who the experts are, but not all questions have a black and white answer. Lastly always pay attention to TallTayl, I would have quit by now if it weren't for her sage advice.  

• Like 1

Stirring fast can introduce a LOT of air. This can result in tiny air bubbles that gather as cavities and cracks later. Those are a bugger to repair (if you notice them before lighting). Cavities can cause flame flares that end up extinguishing the candle. I think it was @pughaus who experienced that recently with some ver expensive candles. 

If you watch how big manufacturers make candles, the stirring machines have large, slow paddles to move the wax around gently but thoroughly. 

I love wide silicone spatulas in my pour pots. The stirring helps to cool that mixture evenly in the pot, so you can be sure everything is as homogenous as possible when dealing with waxes that need lower pour temp conditions. I sit the pour pot on top of a fan o cool rapidly from the bottom. A gentle stir periodically makes the cool take a fraction of the time so I can make more candles. 

• Like 3

What temp do you add the FO ? as i have been struggling with vanilla and coffee too.If I add at 90 C it smokes, if I add at a lower temp it does not mix well and causes a huge leaching of oil at the bottom of the mould. In fact I thought maybe I should change the FO supplier and that its my FO is not binding well with the wax...recently i made a batch of black color candles with paraffin wax and poured vanilla at 85 C ...two candles turned out fine and the third one had a whole lot of liquid at the bottom when i demolded the candle....Which I am guessing was unblended vanilla FO.

Days like this make my confidence take such a beating that I feel that I cannot do it this etc etc...

Yes some Fragrances just don't work, I have had a couple that did that, never would mix in. I also have a couple oils that I have had to add stearic in when blending, someone told me it would help, so I tried adding it and it did help the fragrance oil blend into the melted wax.