Coconut Apricot Wax Tunneling Issues

I recently switched from IGI 6006 to Coconut Apricot Wax and initial wick testing was great. Glass jars, 3" diameter, used mostly LX 16. Issue is last batch of wax, purchased around the first of the year has been very problematic and wicks are either tunneling or leaving behind a lot of residue. Testing CD 8 & 10 currently but experiencing similar issues. Anyone else had this experience? Positive initial testing and than random issues for no apparent reason? I've been making candles for over 9 years and I'm totally baffled. 

Thanks!

I make 3-wick candles with coconut apricot and have had the best results with HTP wicks. I started out with LX wicks but a proper burn seemed to rely heavily on the spacing between the wicks. I just got more wax a couple weeks ago and haven't had any issues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've heard that you need to wick down a little bit in this type of wax so maybe trying a smaller wick would help. I am interested in this type of wax and I will be experimenting with it soon so I'm trying to research as much as possible about it. I'm curious to try hemp wicks or wood wicks with it but I'm scared of them not being the most suitable. I'll might just go with HTP wicks as kdmorgan suggested.

Just my $0.02, wood wicks area neat concept, but prove very time consuming to master. As a natural product they don’t all work as consistently as a traditionally manufactured wick. Success with one or two in a row could be less so on the third test. I have had wicks from the same package not even stay lit following perfectly decent test burns.

If even slightly too large, wood wicks can get out of hand quickly. If slightly too small, or even perfectly sized, the HT will be hit or miss. With traditional wicks you can adjust pretty easily to find that sweet spot temperature and rate of consumption to nail killer ht .