Burn Test part two

This is the second 4 hour burn on my 11oz tureen in 6006 with 44-24-18 Zinc Core wicks and a 9% FO Load. From the side the depth looks to be a little less that the first burn, probably due to the jar being wider at that point. The one that concerns me is the view from the top. It looks like the wax is melted all the way to the bottom.

IMG_1505.jpg.39ac651a749a5dd5e2a4d090f2f8e78e.jpgIMG_1468.jpg.153169e43d6f504f8bf46c5c8949e135.jpgIMG_1469.jpg.d9c8a00fb5bf5118b0842f5daaf22729.jpgIMG_1466.jpg.d316a4ea66a93a091ec237071b2dfbf6.jpg

Yeah, that is a little concerning from the top view.  Well, burn it a bit more as you are now coming to the widest part of the jar, but I think you will need to go down a wick size.  And yes, I would move those wicks closer together.   Are the glass sides hot to touch?  Did you trim those wicks?

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Yeah, that is a little concerning from the top view.  Well, burn it a bit more as you are now coming to the widest part of the jar, but I think you will need to go down a wick size.  And yes, I would move those wicks closer together.   Are the glass sides hot to touch?  Did you trim those wicks?

Trappeur

I ordered new wicks yesterday as those are the smallest I have. I'm going to try a smaller zinc core and a Premier 700 series, maybe a WI-745. I haven't noticed the glass being hot, but I'll check it tonight, and I always trim my wicks, doesn't everyone?

I really like that jar style and hope to order myself some one day.  I've read a little about this wax and I see that HTP wicks are used with it also.  I have saved some comments I've read and saw that both Eco & zinc can create some soot.  With a low profile container, I don't know if the rigidity of zinc core is necessarily needed.  Zincs, imo, also have a tendency to mushroom a bit, which typically requires a trimming (or more) mid-burn for me.  I agree with Trappeur, most definitely, that the wicks should be closer together, and I do think a bit smaller than that size would probably be better also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, birdcharm said:

I really like that jar style and hope to order myself some one day.  I've read a little about this wax and I see that HTP wicks are used with it also.  I have saved some comments I've read and saw that both Eco & zinc can create some soot.  With a low profile container, I don't know if the rigidity of zinc core is necessarily needed.  Zincs, imo, also have a tendency to mushroom a bit, which typically requires a trimming (or more) mid-burn for me.  I agree with Trappeur, most definitely, that the wicks should be closer together, and I do think a bit smaller than that size would probably be better also.

I have had soot with the zinc core wicks when the candles get near the bottom, and the mushrooming is always issue. I'll be pouring a couple more of these when my new wicks arrive and I'll keep trying until I get it right.

21 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Just a casual observation to the non-candle maker, most do not trim wicks. I thought my husband Was trained to trim wicks, but no he Just lights and goes. So I keep that in mind when I make my candles

Apparently either my wife is better at training husbands than you are, or I'm easier to train than your husband:) I like working with the zinc core wicks, but perhaps self trimming wicks would be better.

you would think after repeating the instruction over 1,000 times each summer for 7+ years it would sink in. He tells customers reliably, yet does not make the connection when lighting our hoe candles, so take that for what it is worth.

After watching customers, and receiving back empty containers for 10+ years, i can tell you they don't listen either.

I learned to wick for the ones who wont follow directions, which is almost 100% of customers.

48 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Forest, what fragrance did you use?  Are you liking it too?  

Trappeur

In this burn I used the Fresh Lavender from The Chemistry Store with about 10% Honeysuckle and I like it very much, but I am going to continue to tinker with it until I get it just right. Normally in burn test I use FOs that don't have good hot throw to make the test more valid and get rid of some excess FO. I've got some 8oz tureens with different wicks to test that I put some Volcano FO in them because I haven't gotten it to throw well for me.