wood wick debris- do they all do that?

ew.   

This debris seems... excessive.  I've burned a few of wooden wick candles from established candle lines and I'm pretty sure I didn't see this kind of cast off in the melt pool.  Although I don't think I've ever burned one with a booster wick.  Too bad since aside from the melt pool messiness, this has been a really nice burn.  Anyone else get this much debris in their wood wicks tests?

IMG_6614.JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, franu61 said:

That does look like a nice burn. I just poured some wooden boosters to test. Still have to wait a couple more days for the soy to cure.  I will let you know what mine looks like.

I finally just got my complete WW sample kit so I can start playing around with different sizes and configurations on these.  I'm guessing I can go smaller and sizing down might = a cleaner melt pool in the end. Looking forward to seeing what yours do!

That looks kind a clean compared to mine LOL. I tend to trim mine and knock off carbon deposits as it burns though. If you trim it before you light it and shake out the debris it’s not too bad. I’ve been really liking the original boosters and soy.

Last year I tested so many wood wicks I did not get that debris I was careful to when candle rehardened after a burn turn upside down by a trash can and punch off burned part but most  users are not going to do that I had the best luck with lonestar woodwicks more so than all others I did not nor do I know what a booster is though what is a booster I have used all the wiodwick companies I even tested the wood circles you wrap a cotton wick with 

iin my wax the throw was better with wood wick however the melted wax took on a browner look and the cold throw of candle after a burning was not pleasant to me with c3 i got way more crackle with 6 percent oil than higher percentages 

I used a medium woodwick  in a 8oz mason jar and large in a 13.5 tumbler some fragrance oils struggled after setting a few months I had a friend burn a candle tha was older and she had trouble keeping lit so I pulled older ones off shelve and even though they tested fine at 2 weeks after months some were struggling so I got nervous about reliability and went back to traditional wick 

• Like 1

From all I have seen, lone star's "medium" is a 1/2" dual from the wood wick company, not sure the thickness. The wooden wick company offers several thicknesses depending on your needs. (The wooden wick company holds the patents on wooden wicks)

The original booster is a single ply of a slightly different wood, adhered to a thinner (like 1/4") wooden wick, also a different wood type.

@pughaus I finally burned my testers.  I would have taken a picture but the tunneling was so bad I was embarrassed :(  Hardly any debris, tho.  I did the same as @shicks and waited til it hardened then trimmed the wick and turned upside down.  At this point in my testing i would GLADLY settle for the amount of debris you got if I could get your nice burn :)

Edited by franu61

Oh bummer. I'm sorry to hear the test was a bust for you.  This week, instead of the boosted wicks,  I'm testing the "original" wood wicks (in 8 oz tins ) and so far these are working better for me.

Virtually no debris and I'm 3 hrs into the 2nd burn.  They aren't discoloring the wax yet either.  By this point with my previous boosted wicks I'd be looking at a moderately dirty and browned melt pool.  

I am working with a coconut wax blend, to which I've added a small amount of beeswax.  What wax / containers are you testing with?

• 9 months later...
On 2/3/2018 at 3:46 PM, pughaus said:

forgot to add pic!

origburn.jpg

HI,

Thanks for sharing.  I was looking for info because I am also testing wood wicks from wooden candle co and on the second burn a few of them got debris in them.  see pic.  One also discolored the wax - got darker (ugly).  I was very excited about a wood wick line but I don't want it to keep getting dirty.  I'm using the original line (single ply) because I use a soy blend that due the paraffin content burns pretty easily.  The boosters were too strong but I did not see debris...  What are your thoughts/suggestions?  Thanks so much.

ps. the bad thing is the wicks that are leaving debris are the ones that are creating the best pools, although they are only 1/4 inch deep.  I would like them to be 1/2in deep.

When trimming a wood wick, to minimize black bits flying into your candle, reach in with a toenail clipper and clip the scraggly part of the wick off. If you're lucky the burnt bits stay inside the nail clipper which you keep pinched shut until you have lifted it out of the candle holder. Most of the time this works for me. But sometimes I still get black chunks floating in my wax. I use a toenail clipper to trim all my votive wicks. Great for reaching down into a narrow space.

On 1/24/2018 at 5:39 PM, shicks said:

Last year I tested so many wood wicks I did not get that debris I was careful to when candle rehardened after a burn turn upside down by a trash can and punch off burned part but most  users are not going to do that I had the best luck with lonestar woodwicks more so than all others I did not nor do I know what a booster is though what is a booster I have used all the wiodwick companies I even tested the wood circles you wrap a cotton wick with 

iin my wax the throw was better with wood wick however the melted wax took on a browner look and the cold throw of candle after a burning was not pleasant to me with c3 i got way more crackle with 6 percent oil than higher percentages 

I used a medium woodwick  in a 8oz mason jar and large in a 13.5 tumbler some fragrance oils struggled after setting a few months I had a friend burn a candle tha was older and she had trouble keeping lit so I pulled older ones off shelve and even though they tested fine at 2 weeks after months some were struggling so I got nervous about reliability and went back to traditional wick 

This worries me.  What did you end up doing?  I am also getting black debris, discoloration in the pool, and different cold throw from the burnt candle.  BUT not every candle... I was really hoping to use wood wicks but they seem a inconsistent.  Got them directly from Wooden Wick Co. I've tried the original and the whisper/smooth wick.  check my pics.

The weird thing is all of the black debris/particles are coming from my FIRST burns and the wicks were pretty short...so I can't even blame burnt pieces from previous burn...

One even went out on it's own (2,4), I think from the wax pool being so polluted, it could not draw up wax through the wick to keep the flame (?).  I must be doing something really wrong.  I'm testing another batch going smaller in wick diameter.  These results are unacceptable.  I'd want my money back lol

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

I’m not well versed in wood wicks but I thought the same that it looks to big for that container  

I have used wood wicks original boosters and smooth with a coco blend and never had that much debris and discoloration in the wax 

I would try and wicking down and try another type also to see if you get a better burn 

• Like 1

I just noticed @Bia that you seem to be using a  9 oz straight jar which are abt 2.75" and really hold in heat.   In 3" tumblers I was using a 5/8" single ply wick.  So, you'll need a step down or 2 in size from that, I'd guess, depending on what wax you're using.

• Like 1