What not to do when making candles

If you haven't read it yet this is a great article from Candlewic sent out in this month's newsletter The Enlightener. It has some great tips on what you should not do when making candles: https://www.candlewic.com/newsletter/2018-en-light-eners/candle-making-things-you-should-not-do?utm_source=wax-n-wic&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=enlightener-2018&utm_content=01-18-18

I thought it was appropriate to post here. They send out copies of their newsletter The Enlightener each month to those that are signed up. But you can go to their website and read back issues. They have all kinds of tips for all kinds of candlemaking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, iansmommaya said:

It never occurred to me to pour wax down the drain.

I thought that was kind of funny but I suppose there are some out there that need to be told.

I bought one of those thin plastic red cutting board to place in the sink when I make candles. That way it covers the drain. The bright red color always reminds me to be careful to not spill wax down the drain.

Well ultimately it should be to not pour wax around the sink or to upset your mold that's going into a water bath set in the sink ... at least not without something plugging the hole. 

I actually bumbled a mold by slipping on something on the floor and it went down the drain before hitting the water bath. However it wasn't a large mold and we got it out with just inconvenience. So the water bath area became this really  huge tub that sat under the bucket with water in it. That was the only way I was allowed near the sink. The plastic molds and metal encourage water baths. 

• Like 1

Speaking of slipping, surprising how often that happens when I make candles. I either slip on something or trip on something. But then I am a born clutz..... and this is with non-traction rubber soled shoes! I must be part clown and missed my calling! Honk honk!

26 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Speaking of slipping, surprising how often that happens when I make candles. I either slip on something or trip on something. But then I am a born clutz..... and this is with non-traction rubber soled shoes! I must be part clown and missed my calling! Honk honk!

Same here then. I slip in rubber soled shoes too.  

On 1/20/2018 at 5:52 PM, Candybee said:

lol, lol...I'm just imagining you doing this Candybee.....

Trappeur