IGI R2779 Feather Pillar Wax from Aztec Heating Temp

recently bought 5 lbs of IGI R2779 Feather Finish Pillar Wax from Aztec and I am confused on the temperature to heat the wax. I have been researching Palm Wax and everything I read says to heat it to 200-210 degrees but on Aztec's website it says to heat it to 150-160. What should I be heating my wax to? 

If you want the pretty patterns that the Feather wax is made for you need that high heat and slow cooling to get the affect. So yes, heat to 210. Not sure why Aztec would say that for palm waxes. That low and it'd be hard to incorporate scent, color, etc., 

• Thanks 1

Sounds like someone at Aztec dropped the ball on that one. Palm waxes have to have high heating temps. I heat mine to 205-210 and pour at 195-205 or as high as I can pour it at.  I keep my pour pot heated before I even add the wax from my meltor, then keep the pour pot on a heated griddle pan to maintain high heat while I add in my fragrance and dye. That way when I pour it I have a high pouring temp.

• Thanks 1

Thank you.  I'll be making melts using a Silicone Wilton Brownie pan.  How long would you recommend I cure the melts? I've read 24-48 hours but then I read somewhere a week. I have been using EZSoy and the longer the cure the better with that wax. 

23 hours ago, ShellyF said:

Thank you.  I'll be making melts using a Silicone Wilton Brownie pan.  How long would you recommend I cure the melts? I've read 24-48 hours but then I read somewhere a week. I have been using EZSoy and the longer the cure the better with that wax. 

Are you intending to make palm wax melts or soy in the brownie pan? If you make palm just make sure the pan can take the high heat of the wax as you pour it into the mold. Being a Wilton pan I assume they are for baking so it should be all right If not, check to be sure.

Soy and palm have seperate cure times. It typically takes anywhere from a week to as much as a month for soy to cure. This will depend on the fragrance as some need longer cures than others. With palm, not so much. My palm wax melts are typically ready to use after a minimum of 3 days allowing the wax to fully harden. I have not had to wait any longer for any fragrances to cure in the wax. Its one of the things I love about palm wax. It makes wonderful melts and tarts that throw like crazy and last for hours!

23 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Are you intending to make palm wax melts or soy in the brownie pan? If you make palm just make sure the pan can take the high heat of the wax as you pour it into the mold. Being a Wilton pan I assume they are for baking so it should be all right If not, check to be sure.

Soy and palm have seperate cure times. It typically takes anywhere from a week to as much as a month for soy to cure. This will depend on the fragrance as some need longer cures than others. With palm, not so much. My palm wax melts are typically ready to use after a minimum of 3 days allowing the wax to fully harden. I have not had to wait any longer for any fragrances to cure in the wax. Its one of the things I love about palm wax. It makes wonderful melts and tarts that throw like crazy and last for hours!

Thank you so much for your help. I did use the soy in the brownie pan but now I am using the palm wax in the brownie pan. I ended up making some palm melts yesterday. I love the way they look and can't wait to see how well they throw. I am torn on buying parasoy and seeing which one throws better. 

7 hours ago, ShellyF said:

Thank you so much for your help. I did use the soy in the brownie pan but now I am using the palm wax in the brownie pan. I ended up making some palm melts yesterday. I love the way they look and can't wait to see how well they throw. I am torn on buying parasoy and seeing which one throws better. 

If you have enough in your batch, test your melts at different intervals to see what your cure time is. Like 3 days, 5 days, 1 week and 2 weeks and see if there's a difference.  

I am also experimenting with parasoy. It throws much better in the beginning, but from my limited testing so far, doesn't seem to last as long as the palm. 

I'm torn. I may carry both!

• 1 year later...
On March 1, 2019 at 10:18 AM, CaptnKush said:

What is the Fragrance load on that palm wax Candybee? Im messing with 5lbs of the pillar feather  blend right now and love it. Want to try the Glass glow soon too.

I've used up to 7% with Palm wax, although it starts to mess with the wicking that high. When I backed down to 6%, the throw was still great. That's with Crystal palm though, I'm not sure if feather is different.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2019 at 10:18 AM, CaptnKush said:

What is the Fragrance load on that palm wax Candybee? Im messing with 5lbs of the pillar feather  blend right now and love it. Want to try the Glass glow soon too.

I use 6% for both candles and tarts. I get great hot throw with that. There may be some scents that need less and some a tad more. For example CS apples and maple bourbon I use 7% and CS Mistletoe about 4-5% but I have successfully used as little as 3% on Mistletoe. I think with tarts you can add more but with candles I would use the least amount for the best throw.

• Like 1