What exactly is a votive candle?

Votives and pillars are generally put into the same class when it comes to wax. You can use a pillar wax to make votives or a votive specific wax to make votives. There are even combo votive pillar waxes.

When I first started making candles votives were described as free standing candles such as pillars. But that doesn't necessarily hold true if the votive is made from a softer wax that liquifies enough that the candle can't stand alone without being contained in a jar or container.

You could make a votive candle out of pretty much any wax but to be more stable you would want one that is hard enough the candle will hold its form for the most part and not completely liquify.

23 hours ago, chapguy said:

Thanks. So these little diptyque candles are just container candles, even though they’re the same size as a votive glass candle? 

http://cdn.diptyqueparis.com/media/wysiwyg/STATIC_HOME_1.jpg

I've just known them to be votives if they are shot glass size or very small. Test a votive once and you should know why you use it in a glass. I think the thing about the votive was the ability to swap our color and scent and have a nice glow in glass. I think it became easier just to pour them into the glasses also. 

Votives are molded candles that require a container for burning. They are made with a lower melt point wax more like a container wax and are meant to become fully liquefied across the top when burning in a snug candle glass. I told customers they were container candles without the container to make it easier to understand. Pillar candles will use a much higher melt point wax and are meant to burn free-standing.

Votive average melt point 125-130

• Like 1