Is room temperature effecting my burn?

You didn't say what wax but I definitely find with soy that ambient temp makes a difference.  My wax (C3) is softer in a warm room than it is in a cold room if the temp varies 20+ degrees, which my house does summer to winter.  Should add that if it's a new box of wax, you could be experiencing the soy problems we've all been having.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, kandlekrazy said:

You didn't say what wax but I definitely find with soy that ambient temp makes a difference.

I'm using 6006, but you are right about the wax being harder in a cold room so it makes sense that it effects the burn. Most people keep their houses warmer that I do so hopefully my candles will burn better for them. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

You didn't say what wax but I definitely find with soy that ambient temp makes a difference.  My wax (C3) is softer in a warm room than it is in a cold room if the temp varies 20+ degrees, which my house does summer to winter.  Should add that if it's a new box of wax, you could be experiencing the soy problems we've all been having.

I have been using c3 for a long time my latest box  is 2017 is c3 experiencing the same problems as all the others? Also if I may ask as I see you are a c3 user what percentage of fo do you use? I get a pretty cAndle pretty burn at 6 too light ht if I up I get soot and burn issues wondering if it is just my wicks or if the ,a ufscturer instructions that say 6 percent s because anymore will take away from burning qualities of candle?

24 minutes ago, shicks said:

I have been using c3 for a long time my latest box  is 2017 is c3 experiencing the same problems as all the others? Also if I may ask as I see you are a c3 user what percentage of fo do you use? I get a pretty cAndle pretty burn at 6 too light ht if I up I get soot and burn issues wondering if it is just my wicks or if the ,a ufscturer instructions that say 6 percent s because anymore will take away from burning qualities of candle?

The mfg still only recommends 6% unless you are using additives to allow for a higher %.  I use 6% or a little less depending on the fo.  Soot can be for many reasons, too much fo, too much wick, wick flickering.  Too light for you or do you have other testers?  I never go by just my taste, I don't like overpowering strong but some do so I use various people to test for me.  If I like it, it's probably too light for others.

3 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

The mfg still only recommends 6% unless you are using additives to allow for a higher %.  I use 6% or a little less depending on the fo.  Soot can be for many reasons, too much fo, too much wick, wick flickering.  Too light for you or do you have other testers?  I never go by just my taste, I don't like overpowering strong but some do so I use various people to test for me.  If I like it, it's probably too light for others.

I probably need to utilize other testers! Thank you for letting me know how much you use !!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Likewise, testing too soon after pouring can make your wick seem "right", but after a full cure the wick can seem too small. 

Thank you for that information! I've been testing after 3 days or fewer sometimes and that would explain some of the problems I have encountered.  My weather was warmer last night and I lit a candle that was half way gone burned perfectly, so I feel that my current problem was due to the house being cold. I think when Christmas is over I'll take two identical candles and burn one in the garage and one in the house. That would give me a good temperature difference. I'll report my test results here.

• Like 1