Have you tried any of these RE FO's?

lisabeth13

I've never ordered from RE before so I'm just curious if you've tried any of these? Are any of them total duds? Better from another supplier? I've only ordered FO's from Flaming and wasn't too impressed with the turnout. I'm going to be using coconut/beeswax if that makes any difference.

• Amish Quilt 
  • Barbershop 1920's
  • Bonfire Bliss
  • Butterrum Cappuccino 
  • Cardamom Cedar Blossom
  • Cedar, Sage & Blackberry
  • Coffee House
  • Driftwood & Sea Salt
  • Elderflower & Moss
  • Earl Grey & Apple
  • Juniper Berry & Cedar
  • Lavender
  • Luscious Vanilla
  • Fig & Cassis
  • Ozark Forest
  • Pipe Smoke
  • Redwood
  • Rose Geranium
  • Silver Birch & Vetiver
  • Sweetgrass & Cedar
  • White Sage

38 minutes ago, lisabeth13 said:

White Sage

I tried this one. To me it smelled just like extremely diluted rosemary essential oil. Not to say that this is what it actually was, but just that this is exactly what it smelled like to me. I could have just passed on it and made my own super weak rosemary scent from scratch using the actual EO, as it's very affordable and strong. 

I haven't tried any of the others on your list, though I have tried some that were similar from them. I can also say that rustic escentuals' FO's are like most any other company in that they have some really nice ones along with some pretty meh or even dud ones. Just saying because even though their white sage was pretty lame to me, doesn't mean that I don't have other things from them which are really nice.

Sorry if this isn't helpful at all, but just some things that come to mind looking at your list..

41 minutes ago, lisabeth13 said:

Pipe Smoke

I have their cuban tobacco, which is of a similar thematic feel, and it is a staple in my collection. It doesn't really smell like tobacco, but my goodness it smells amazing, very warm and delicious and sexy all at once, mildly sweet but not too much, and doesn't fade really fast like many economy FO's. Given that, I am planning to try their pipe smoke in the future, since their other tobacco themed FO has been just wonderful. 

43 minutes ago, lisabeth13 said:

Rose Geranium

This is another one where I have just tried something similar, I have a big bottle of their rose petals FO. It really is a very nice and true rose smell fresh from the bottle, though it tends to fade into a sort of soapy smell. It is stunning in its shining moment, though. Some of their other florals have been more impressive, like their lilac, which passed the scrutiny test of 3 different grandmothers in my extended family who love lilacs, and held true to its character during the dry down (no turning soapy). So in my experience rustic escentuals is worth trying for more nuanced florals.

45 minutes ago, lisabeth13 said:

Redwood

You seem like you might have a thing for cedar wood in your list. If that's true, and if you're going to splurge on a bunch of samples and pay for the shipping, anyway, I would also recommend trying out their red saffron, it is another staple in my collection. It's similar to a lot of saffron & cedar FO's but has a super nice dry down that just gets better and better as it goes.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, lisabeth13 said:

I've never ordered from RE before so I'm just curious if you've tried any of these? Are any of them total duds? Better from another supplier? I've only ordered FO's from Flaming and wasn't too impressed with the turnout. I'm going to be using coconut/beeswax if that makes any difference.

• Amish Quilt is a typical bakery scent;  smelled nice and did well in paraffin

• Thanks 1

Bonfire Bliss was sweet and smokey, and very nice, but it didn't throw well at all for me, candle or tart. I use paraffin. 

Luscious Vanilla was a vanilla. Lol! Can't remember what I used it in, but it was a nice vanilla, pretty strong. 

I have to second @NaughtyNancy's suggestion of Cuban Tobacco, it is wonderful!! Fantastic in everything I've put it in, and adds a warm, rich bottom to blends.

Gotta diverge on the Red Saffron, though, I thought it smelled like some kind of industrial soap, and it was universally hated by my testers. Usually I nod my head at all of NN's posts, but not that time, lol. 😉

Always worth a try though, because obviously noses are different!

@NaughtyNancy, have you tried Havanna Nights? OMG, to die for! I have never actually smelled a hot Cuban guy, but in my very vivid imagination, that is what Pitbull would smell like. Or any hot Cuban guy. But really Pitbull. 😆

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

Gotta diverge on the Red Saffron, though, I thought it smelled like some kind of industrial soap, and it was universally hated by my testers.

I have read from other members on here that Red Saffron wasn't very good so I may not try that one. 

31 minutes ago, Sarah S said:

I have never actually smelled a hot Cuban guy, but in my very vivid imagination, that is what Pitbull would smell like.

:laugh2::laugh2:

2 hours ago, Sarah S said:

@NaughtyNancy, have you tried Havanna Nights? OMG, to die for! I have never actually smelled a hot Cuban guy, but in my very vivid imagination, that is what Pitbull would smell like. Or any hot Cuban guy. But really Pitbull. 😆

Not yet. I have to stick to a budget or I would have a whole basement full of over a thousand FO's haha, and am still working my way through my "top interests" picks to this day, after several months of starting to use FO's. Havana nights mentions florals and citrus, which makes me personally a bit eh on trying it, but it sounds like something that some of the gals I know would really like, so I think I will add it to the "stuff to sample for other people when I eventually have enough money" list, I have a lot of citrus fans.. so a whole shelf of stuff that is in essence "FO/EO for my mother and her friends" hehe. I occasionally try to sneak some patchouli in on them, but they always catch it, so no conversions to the dirty hippie side of the force yet.

2 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Gotta diverge on the Red Saffron, though, I thought it smelled like some kind of industrial soap, and it was universally hated by my testers. Usually I nod my head at all of NN's posts, but not that time, lol. 😉

I can feel you, for sure, though. I learned the sample-size-first lesson pretty early on with how subjective FO's can be.. And now with my giant bottle of Essence of Jesus on the shelf. :lol: 

Sometimes with FO's people in reviews will be like, "This smells so amazing like X, Y and Z" and then I will get some and be like the hell? 

Here's the ones I have used. I've made parasoy melts with them, so that's the experience I'm basing this on.

• Bonfire Bliss - It's alright - I don't understand all of the rave reviews. They may have changed it over the years, because it doesn't smell like a bonfire to me at all, or it may be my wax. I thought I loved it when I first smelled it but I think the rave reviews were swaying me lol. There's something about it that just seems overly synthetic to me.
  • Cardamom Cedar Blossom - I like this scent, it's kind of fresh and spicy. 
  • Coffee House - I really like this one! Good coffee scent, good throw.
  • Elderflower & Moss - haven't put this in wax yet, but OOB it smells really nice. It's on my list, pleasant spa-type scent to my nose.
  • Fig & Cassis - I LOVE this. It smells very familiar to me and I can't put my finger on it. But it's one of my favorites, great throw and kind of a complex (or maybe just hard to describe) scent.
  • Redwood - I really like this scent, but I wish it was a little more woodsy and less soapy. It may be the way it performs with my wax, but there's a definite soap feel I get when melting this and I did also have a customer leave that in a review as well. (Edit: not a literal soap feel, just what the scent makes me think of)
Edited by Lana
  • Thanks 1

Only one on your list Ive tried is Bonfire Bliss - Not really a fan . Like @Lana I don't get all the rave reviews. I don't get any bonfire smell whatsoever. To my nose

I get a tad of sweet and not really sure how to describe it. You might like it though as we all smell fragrance differently. If you like lemon, lemon curd is great.

• Thanks 1

Just received an order from RE with a free sample of Silent Nite.........OMG, I need a bigger bottle.   Anxious to try it in candles but with only an ounce to play with, I think I wanna put it in some lotion or body scrub...so I can get up close and personal with this neat scent :-)

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Pam W said:

Just received an order from RE with a free sample of Silent Nite.........OMG, I need a bigger bottle.   Anxious to try it in candles but with only an ounce to play with, I think I wanna put it in some lotion or body scrub...so I can get up close and personal with this neat scent :-)

How would you describe it ?

Here is the description:

The air after a thunderstorm is thick with ozone, crushed apple blossoms, wet roses and bruised flowers. Notes of honey and sweet vanilla are mixed with dried fruits, sheer musk, and floral jasmine. A complex and intoxicating scent.

I smell the ozone, apple blossoms & roses - the other scents just blend into a nice, lite floral smell.  It will be interesting to see which scents are dominate when burning.   This may also be one of those scents that blossoms in lotion which could be overpowering if not used lightly...kwim.