Igi 6006 - can I blend more paraffin with it?

I have a few questions about blending IGI 6006 with premium paraffin. 

#1. Would it be beneficial to blend IGI 6006 with more paraffin for a better scent throw?

#2. Would a blend of IGI 6006 and paraffin be better for tarts or just the 6006 by itself?

#3. Would I have an easier time finding a wick that works by blending the IGI 6006 with more paraffin?

I also have about 2-3lbs of GW 464. I've tried blending the 6006 with the 464 and the wicks I've tried have tested better than the 6006 by itself. 

I want to get the best CT/HT with my tarts. 

Thanks in advance as always!

- Ginger

Edited by Venetti

Based on my experience:

1.  With some scents, yes.  Others, no.
2.  A pillar paraffin works very well for this.

3.  No.  It's all frustrating...LOL.  Wicking 6006 is pretty straight forward, in my experience.  CD wicks and zinc wicks both work very well.  

• Thanks 1

I've blended 6006 with 4625 and had good results. You just have a little longer cure time than with straight paraffin but even paraffin is better with curing. You can't use 6006 alone for shapes. Well, actually I have used it alone when I first started but to me it's too soft. It will work but it's better if you blend a pillar or votive wax with it.

18 hours ago, bfroberts said:

3.  No.  It's all frustrating...LOL.  Wicking 6006 is pretty straight forward, in my experience.  CD wicks and zinc wicks both work very well.  

Regarding wicking IGI 6006:

I have tried several wicks for this wax. When I say several, I mean around twenty. 😖

I haven't been able to find a wick that I'm perfectly happy with. I know it's out there somewhere so I'll continue testing. 

The majority of the wicks I've tried throw soot like crazy or have mushrooming or some other issue. 

I have tried CD wicks. In fact I have a sample pack of all sizes. I wasn't satisfied with the end result. I also have zinc wicks but I prefer to use natural ingredients. 

I believe I tried the CD10 and CD12. I can't remember exactly but I think it sooted a lot.

I'm currently testing the LX series and I'm almost positive that's what I'll go with. I absolutely love everything about them in this wax. 

Edited by Venetti

10 minutes ago, Venetti said:

Regarding wicking IGI 6006:

I have tried several wicks for this wax. When I say several, I mean around twenty. 😖

I haven't been able to find a wick that I'm perfectly happy with. I know it's out there somewhere so I'll continue testing. 

The majority of the wicks I've tried throw soot like crazy or have mushrooming or some other issue. 

I have tried CD wicks. In fact I have a sample pack of all sizes. I wasn't satisfied with the end result. I also have zinc wicks but I prefer to use natural ingredients. 

I believe I tried the CD10 and CD12. I can't remember exactly but I think it sooted a lot.

I'm currently testing the LX series and I'm almost positive that's what I'll go with. I absolutely love everything about them in this wax. 

It's all a trial.  I like 6006 for a variety of reasons, and I hate it for a variety of reasons.  On the other hand, I love 4630 for a variety of reasons, and I hate it also for a variety of reasons.  It never ends.  I can make a wonderful apothecary jar candle with 6006, but can't get an apothecary jar wicked to my satisfaction with 4630.  On the other hand, my 9oz jars seem almost perfect with 4630 but so ugly with 6006.  I have accepted the fact that I will never master this craft.

One thing that might be helpful to you if you were not aware...or for anyone who is having trouble wicking....Candlewic offers a link to wick suggestions on the product page of each wax they carry.  I take a sneak peak there when I'm stumped on a particular wax/wick/container.  Might not be perfect, but it's usually a good starting point.