candle dyes for GW444

Hello! 

I'm going to attempt to dye my GW444 soy candles this time. I'm wondering what everyone has to say about using liquid dye vs the chips or the blocks? Are there brands that work best with this type of wax? 

Thanks! 

• Like 1

I've only used very little color with soy, so it normally comes out a pastel shade of the dye I've used.  If I wanted to try for a strong, solid color, I would use liquid dye since it wouldn't require adding any wax that is incorporated in the dye blocks.  Yet, if I wanted a certain shade and couldn't achieve it somehow with liquids, but found it easily accessible in a dye block, I would use it in small quantities.  I've made quite a few with color speckles or light swirls by using either purchased dye block, or making my own using liquid dye and soy wax.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, birdcharm said:

I've only used very little color with soy, so it normally comes out a pastel shade of the dye I've used.  If I wanted to try for a strong, solid color, I would use liquid dye since it wouldn't require adding any wax that is incorporated in the dye blocks.  Yet, if I wanted a certain shade and couldn't achieve it somehow with liquids, but found it easily accessible in a dye block, I would use it in small quantities.  I've made quite a few with color speckles or light swirls by using either purchased dye block, or making my own using liquid dye and soy wax.

Do you prefer a certain company for your dyes? 

I've bought them from several different companies, this product is messy however it's packaged.  The last one I bought, however, was in a glass bottle with a dropper and it's holding up much better, but that company is no longer in business.  I've purchased some that are in plastic bottle with built-in dropper, some without a dropper at all.  Over time and with use, the plastic and the cap gets messy even if you are careful with them.  I think from now on when I get a bottle, I'm going to rebottle it in glass with a glass dropper, making sure to not get any into the bulb of dropper.  I keep these bottles in their own little case with napkins on top because whenever I touch them, it seems I need a napkin, lol.  Seriously though, I think most of the companies that sell them are pretty similar as far as the dye goes, it's just a matter of how they bottle it and how well they are at describing the color.

Perhaps someone else has a favorite company for these.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/25/2017 at 12:27 AM, birdcharm said:

I've bought them from several different companies, this product is messy however it's packaged.  The last one I bought, however, was in a glass bottle with a dropper and it's holding up much better, but that company is no longer in business.  I've purchased some that are in plastic bottle with built-in dropper, some without a dropper at all.  Over time and with use, the plastic and the cap gets messy even if you are careful with them.  I think from now on when I get a bottle, I'm going to rebottle it in glass with a glass dropper, making sure to not get any into the bulb of dropper.  I keep these bottles in their own little case with napkins on top because whenever I touch them, it seems I need a napkin, lol.  Seriously though, I think most of the companies that sell them are pretty similar as far as the dye goes, it's just a matter of how they bottle it and how well they are at describing the color.

I have decided to leave them undyed for now so i don't have to worry with the frosting issue LOL This testing is extensive enough without worrying about that as well! 

On 10/25/2017 at 12:27 AM, birdcharm said:

I ordered some liquid dyes with no dropper and oh, what a mess.  I asked The Candlemaker's Store (I think that's who it was) about droppers and was told to use pipette.

Now, I only buy from suppliers who have droppers.  Oh, and I bought some from somewhere once and the dropper was separate.  When I put it in the bottle, the dye overflowed.  They didn't leave room in the bottle for a dropper!

Now I stick with Rustic Escentuals for liquid dye....and you're right, they do get messy even with the dropper.  I know I should wear gloves, but I don't.  :)

(By the way, I bought some candle supplies today from a local lady who was downsizing her stash and got quite a good deal on several bottles of liquid dye from Peak.  They also have droppers. I am so stocked up now!)

• Like 1

The glass bottles with droppers get really gooped up too. The rubber degrades over time and the drips collect on the glass threads. I go through so many darned gloves on just dye. 

Gail, I had that happen too! I should have known better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GailC said:

I ordered some liquid dyes with no dropper and oh, what a mess.  I asked The Candlemaker's Store (I think that's who it was) about droppers and was told to use pipette.

Now, I only buy from suppliers who have droppers.  Oh, and I bought some from somewhere once and the dropper was separate.  When I put it in the bottle, the dye overflowed.  They didn't leave room in the bottle for a dropper!

Now I stick with Rustic Escentuals for liquid dye....and you're right, they do get messy even with the dropper.  I know I should wear gloves, but I don't.  :)

(By the way, I bought some candle supplies today from a local lady who was downsizing her stash and got quite a good deal on several bottles of liquid dye from Peak.  They also have droppers. I am so stocked up now!)

The dye overflowing could not have been a fun party.  Possibly the seller didn't want to short you on the dye, but I think probably they didn't want to mess with having to fill the dropper in order to secure it on the bottle for you ... shame on them ... they should have then included a note that you would need to be careful and squeeze the dropper to pull up liquid. 

I find that if you don't allow the bulb to fill up with dye and only fill the glass dropper tube, careful not to get any on the bottle, it can stay cleaner a bit longer.  Yet, I really don't like handling the liquid dyes, so I'm in the habit of melting just a bit of wax, pouring it into a little mold (I use a silicone cupcake mold and fill it about 1/4" or so), then using liquid dye, use about twenty drops or so (if not mixing colors, if mixing colors, use a bit of one and some of another), carefully stir it around in the mold with a mini spatula (like what is sometimes used in cosmetics or to push cuticles back, lol) and when I make candles, shave little fragments off of it.  This way, I don't have to handle the liquid dye bottles more than I absolutely have to.  :)

• Like 1