Jump to content
Barefootgirl

Mica as wax melt coloring

Recommended Posts

Anyone here use mica to color your wax melts? How do you add it and make it incorporate into the wax? I've seen it used in finished wax melt products and I really like the look. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to know if this can be added afterwards myself ? I love the look of mica,shimmers and shines .I will message Aztec and let you know the response I get 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2017 at 4:50 PM, Barefootgirl said:

Anyone here use mica to color your wax melts? How do you add it and make it incorporate into the wax? I've seen it used in finished wax melt products and I really like the look. 

I am skeptic that we could actually add it to the wax ,may effect the scent throw ,not sure .I will certainly ask Aztec and let ya know 😁Thinking sprinkled on top may be fine thou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use micas in solid hair products. It stays suspended easily if the product cools quickly. I use .15cc in a 3 oz size hair conditioner, for instance, to achieve a touch of color. It swirls around a lot while the product is cool. The finer the mica the longer it will stay suspended. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, katmeltswax said:

I am skeptic that we could actually add it to the wax ,may effect the scent throw ,not sure .I will certainly ask Aztec and let ya know 😁Thinking sprinkled on top may be fine thou.

I doubt it will change the melt hot throw at all. It might look mesmerizing as it it hot in the melter. You'll see the mica particles swirling around in the molten wax. It "might" settle out as the wax cools, but I bet it will look fine. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I doubt it will change the melt hot throw at all. It might look mesmerizing as it it hot in the melter. You'll see the mica particles swirling around in the molten wax. It "might" settle out as the wax cools, but I bet it will look fine. 

Thank you and I will try this .I think it will look so pretty 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I doubt it will change the melt hot throw at all. It might look mesmerizing as it it hot in the melter. You'll see the mica particles swirling around in the molten wax. It "might" settle out as the wax cools, but I bet it will look fine. 

It really does look mesmerizing! There are lots of wax haul and review videos on YouTube and Instagram that show this. A few makers show the mica mixed wax being poured and it looks just as lovely. Myself I just drop the melt in my warmer and walk away. I never return to see what it looks like melting. Too bad it wasnt as beauriful whike solid. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, katmeltswax said:

I would like to know if this can be added afterwards myself ? I love the look of mica,shimmers and shines .I will message Aztec and let you know the response I get 😁

Awesome! Let me know 😀. I'm not sure of any good suppliers of mica- that was on the to do list too lol. I will have to check them out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Barefootgirl said:

Awesome! Let me know 😀. I'm not sure of any good suppliers of mica- that was on the to do list too lol. I will have to check them out. 

Wholesale supply Plus has a large selection as well.Big sale at Midnight Tonite for Cyber Monday till 6 am .I have my cart loaded with micas and some fragrance oils .Aztec is good to ,all of the micas are from Craft Server either company .I think you will like the selection 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like micas, nurture soap, tkb trading, brambleberry, a few fb groups like Steph's micas will get your world colored in no time. 

 

ETA: aromahaven too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Micas won't color the wax. I frequently add mica to my melts, but only after I color them first. The colored will intensify slightly when the mica is added, but they can't be used for an overall colorant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nickie said:

Micas won't color the wax. I frequently add mica to my melts, but only after I color them first. The colored will intensify slightly when the mica is added, but they can't be used for an overall colorant. 

Thank  you Nickie ,I ordered some micas from WSP during the Cyber Monday sale ,look forward to trying this .I just love the look of a sparkling wax melt .I use glitter on top ,want to see a shimmering appearance 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2017 at 4:04 PM, katmeltswax said:

Wholesale supply Plus has a large selection as well.Big sale at Midnight Tonite for Cyber Monday till 6 am .I have my cart loaded with micas and some fragrance oils .Aztec is good to ,all of the micas are from Craft Server either company .I think you will like the selection 😀

Lol this thread is a year ago .I wanted to correct myself on the brand .It's Crafters Choice ,not Craft server ,geez oh me must have had CS on the brain . Crafters Choice is the mica brand .Sorry for any misunderstanding on my post here a long while ago .

Kat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/20/2017 at 5:50 PM, Barefootgirl said:

Anyone here use mica to color your wax melts? How do you add it and make it incorporate into the wax? I've seen it used in finished wax melt products and I really like the look. 

 

I've seen some videos on YouTube that show people using the mica on the outside of the cooled melts and also adding it to the liquid wax. They both look really pretty.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...