4I am currently making hand carved cut and curl candles The Craft seems to be very relaxing and I enjoy doing them. I have friends that want to buy them but I'm not sure I have a few things I need to work out to feel comfortable on selling. For instance my gloss does not go on evenly I'm not sure if I'm using the right kind all I know is it's what was sold on Candlewick for dipping candles but yet it doesn't work the way I think it should 

I would love to attach a picture but I can't seem to get it to upload

:blink::shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:OMG!  Are you kidding?   Totally amazingly georgous candle!!!  Sorry I can't give any advice so surely someone will come here and give suggestions....Just Stunning!

And your name?   You need to change that to something like "Jewels of Hand Sculpted Wax"......lol.. because your work is simply quite gorgeous works of art.    I could never burn that.....Where are the wicks anyways?

Trappeur:)

22 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

:blink::shocked2::shocked2::shocked2:OMG!  Are you kidding?   Totally amazingly georgous candle!!!  Sorry I can't give any advice so surely someone will come here and give suggestions....Just Stunning!

And your name?   You need to change that to something like "Jewels of Hand Sculpted Wax"......lol.. because your work is simply quite gorgeous works of art.    I could never burn that.....Where are the wicks anyways?

Trappeur:)

I am new at doing this. I have a lot to figure out yet but I just love doing it. Will be very grateful for any help or suggestions anyone can give. Maybe soon when I've got it all worked out. I will be able to sell them I need to come up with a decent business name and figure out how to get a business started after I figure out the difficulties that I do have with my candle.

I have used the gloss I think it was years ago. You have to spray lightly and keep the candle turning while spraying if I remember correctly.  I got a cheap turntable so I could keep it turning.  And yes, beautiful pillar!

Edited by grama

Are you trying to paint on the gloss? Or are you dipping it the same you would if it was wax? 

I have my gloss in a 5 gallon bucket, dip it like I would if it were wax, let it hang and let the excess drip off and back into the bucket so there is no waste. I've never had a problem with my gloss doing it this way unless it gets old and thick. It needs to be fairly thin, or else I get clumps and streaks on the sides of the candles. 

My core candles have a well in them, that I insert a tube and then I use liquid paraffin, that way they only need to stop burning them when they need to add/replace the liquid paraffin. Plus the pigments I use would clog any wick, so this is a better method for me. 

I love dipping, but unless I make something unique, like a lighthouse, or a beach scene, Christmas tree, or something like that, they just don't sell or make all that work worth it for me. 

• Like 2

My bucket is not quite as big as 5 gallons but yes I dip it like I would the wax I let it hang let the excess drip. But I've noticed most of the time the gloss will drip off the candle and won't stick in places very aggravating. I figured it cuz it was water base and the candles are wax. Wax and water really don't mix. I was afraid of adding water for I'm a make the problem worse. I had a friend to suggest warming the glaze but that really didn't work either it just made my candles soft where they would not hold their shape. I thought maybe there was a trick to it or maybe I'm using the wrong great gloss. I read on Pinterest and other places where a glaze was used but I did not know if there was any difference between the two and still can't find any difference between the two both water-based although there is a girl off you can spray on but you have to do that outside in a well vented area I don't have that option I've seen to figure out how to get my candles to burn the way I need them to without a well just by getting the right wick but if not burnt in the right amount of time each time they don't burn evenly it will cause some part of the candle to burn wider then other parts of it that's why I have a strict burning method to my candles. If instructions are followed there is no problem with them. You're going to but your idea sounds great too maybe even easier. As for selling them I really haven't gotten to that point yet but I have a lot of people telling me I have a talent and they think I should at least try but I do not really want to sell them without knowing the right while you doing it I have no clue on how to start a business or even how to sell my candles the right way so if I don't get in trouble by the law. LOL

On 9/5/2017 at 4:02 PM, desperately needing help said:

that's why I have a strict burning method to my candles

You can have the best caution labels around on a candle, tell each and every customer in minute detail exactly how to burn them, hand out pamphlets, the whole 9 yards, but unless you are in their home with them while they burn them, there is absolutely no guarantee they are going to burn them correctly. That is why we test test test, and also why we carry liability insurance. 

1 minute ago, desperately needing help said:

20 years wow. You must be doing really well . Good for you. I haven't even really got started yet but I hope to do just as good make a little extra money on the side maybe enough to get me out of working in a flooring Mill LOL

Thank you. I love it, and it's a very SMALL business for me, and not my sole source of income. I do have to keep my full time job.

I sell online a bit and only do 4 craft shows a year. For me and my goals, ambitions, this is perfect. 

Good luck, and you came to the right place. Everyone here is very helpful and willing to try to see everyone succeed. 

I love carving candles also I thought it would be a lot harder than what it was. I'm hoping to make it a job I can work from the house with. Really don't want a huge business. I still got to figure out my glaze. Figure out Packaging and how to sell them and which sites to sell them on. Also need to know if I need a business license not quite sure. Not sure if I need to take out taxes pay taxes or any of that. Looking forward to doing my first craft show not quite sure how to get started in that either LOL I got a lot to learn LOL

Yeah I noticed everybody that I've talked to so far on this site has been very nice and helpful. I'm really glad to have the opportunity to talk to people that do the same craft I do. And are not afraid of sharing. Thank you for being willing to share?

• 2 months later...

Here I Go Again! I've moved my candle carving into another room. And now I cannot seem to get the bubbles the little ones that seem to form when my molds are forming everytime I pull one out it is full of little bitty bubbles. What can I do to get rid of them? I've tried raising my wax temperature I tried raising my room temperature heating my molds nothing seems to work! Suggestions

How do I reduce air bubbles?

There are many cause of air bubbles in the candle. Some simple solutions would be to heat the container and/or pillar mold. Generally a dry heat such as a heat gun or heat lamp should be sufficient, the objective is to take the chill and/or moisture out of the container. You may also want to pour your wax at a slightly higher temperature, for safety reason it is imperative not to pour too hot (not above 205 F). You may also want to slightly increase your mico or vybar usage. Finally you may want to slow down when pouring the wax into the container, splashing of the wax should be kept to a minimum.

What temperature is the wax you're dipping into?  If it's too cold, that may be a problem.  Also, your water bath should be room temperature (70's). Are the bubbles actually "water" that has been trapped by the next dip of wax?   As far as the glaze not sticking in some spots, is someone perhaps handling the candle with lotion or other kind of oil on their hands? 

Forgot to say that your candle is beautiful - you are a master at carving. 

Edited by joym
add statement