Cotton core wicks from Peak

Jeana

I just started to really get in to the Cotton Core wicks from Peaks, but of course they are gone now. When I look up other suppliers I notice that Peak changed the size numbers of the wicks compared to the wick charts and other suppliers. Does any one know how Peak Cotton Core sizing crosses over to the standard wick guide? For instance I really liked C-70 from Peak, what size would that be from the chart or other supplier? 

On 9/4/2017 at 6:50 AM, coconut said:

I didn't use that size, but I found a C30 was nearly equal to an lx8 and a C40 was nearly equal to an lx40. Maybe you can work up from that. Good luck.

Lx40? Never heard of such a size

In my experience these two wicks havent bee that similar to offer conparables. Maybe just for me though

Thank you coconut for responding. I've never heard of an lx 40. I've worked with lx 28 before and it was a very large wick. I feel like cotton core and lx wicks burn completely different, which is why I was gravitating toward them. I wish Peak would offer more help for customers  to transition to other suppliers. 

32 minutes ago, coconut said:

Oh geez, sorry, I meant an lx 10. Fat fingered that one.

I figured that was a typo. Lx 10  makes a lot more sense. It gives an idea for size comparisons with other wick types but I still don't understand which wick a c-40 is in the cotton core chart. Those numbers are read like 51-18-32.

19 hours ago, Jeana said:

I figured that was a typo. Lx 10  makes a lot more sense. It gives an idea for size comparisons with other wick types but I still don't understand which wick a c-40 is in the cotton core chart. Those numbers are read like 51-18-32.

I do not think Peak's cotton core is the same as other cotton core wicks. I used to think they were like Premier wicks but I could never figure out the closest ssiz. Premier 715 possibly? I will have to find my notes.

Peak's Cotton Core wicks were made exclusively for them from what I was told. So unfortunately you probably won't find any exactly like them. My suggestion when trying out other company's wicks is just to try out what they recommend for the size and type of candle you are making. So for example if you were making 2.5" diameter paraffin candles with Peak's C-70, look at another company's wick chart and try the one they recommend for 2.5" paraffin candles. The most important info when selecting a wick size is the diameter of your candle and the type of wax you are using. With that information you can contact any company that sells wicks and ask for a recommendation.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually I think the wicks they sold as Cotton Core are WU wicks from Wicks Unlimited. These are a cotton core as well, but not "the" cotton core wicks. I really liked them for their posture while burning and the fact they didn't burn as hot. It's just a pain in the ass to retest my entire line of candles again with other types of wicks. And I get to do this while accounts are waiting for their orders and moving into the busy time of year. 

1 hour ago, wthomas57 said:

Yah, couple that with all the wax issues going on, mainly soy.... tough right now to haveto test more 

What wax issues? I hope not mine. I mix a few to make my own blend. I have a lot of experience with many types of wicks. (performa, hemp, lx, rrd, square braid, premier, cd, csn, cdn, htp, paper, zinc) I typically gravitate towards HTP wicks, but I get tired of the curling posture. I've tried some of the cored wicks, but the ones from Peak were the best I've tried. I'm even struggling with retesting my HTP scents too. Not all HTPs are created equal. I found a supplier that has the same manufacturer of HTPs that Peak did, but they still seem to burn a little different.  

18 minutes ago, Jeana said:

What wax issues? I hope not mine. I mix a few to make my own blend. I have a lot of experience with many types of wicks. (performa, hemp, lx, rrd, square braid, premier, cd, csn, cdn, htp, paper, zinc) I typically gravitate towards HTP wicks, but I get tired of the curling posture. I've tried some of the cored wicks, but the ones from Peak were the best I've tried. I'm even struggling with retesting my HTP scents too. Not all HTPs are created equal. I found a supplier that has the same manufacturer of HTPs that Peak did, but they still seem to burn a little different.  

Check out some of the other threads... its been well documented here. Been LOTS of wax issues,  mostly with soy going back several months now. Most soy candle makers been suffering from issues and changes with the wax. I am not referring to Ecosoya change of their soy (although that has caused its own set of problems). I am referring to just overall soy issues and consistency. I don't want turn this thread into that, but you can easily find more info in the other topics.

If you use soy, you are probably effected though.

Regarding the wicks, what is your reasoning for not liking the curl? I find you either have to deal with a curl or with bigger mushrooms. Personal preference I guess. For example, my favorite are zincs... except the mushrooms. Then I like htp/cd, etc.... except the curl .Lol

• 1 month later...
On 9/3/2017 at 6:47 PM, Jeana said:

I just started to really get in to the Cotton Core wicks from Peaks, but of course they are gone now. When I look up other suppliers I notice that Peak changed the size numbers of the wicks compared to the wick charts and other suppliers. Does any one know how Peak Cotton Core sizing crosses over to the standard wick guide? For instance I really liked C-70 from Peak, what size would that be from the chart or other supplier? 

Don't know if you were able to sort out your Peak wick problem Jeana...but you are probably aware by now that Peak is back, but only with fragrances, and a very limited Website. But, maybe you could email Alan at Peak Fragrances and ask him who made their wicks, and if they are available anywhere else...or if he has any idea what would be a suitable replacement. Wouldn't hurt to try.

• 9 months later...

Hi there - I am in the same boat you are.  I used Peak wicks since I started my candle making business 6 years ago.  When they were having supply issues for a year or so  before they closed their regular candle business I stocked up what I could and am now almost out.  I used C-60 and C-80 the most.  I cannot find them anywhere and it is SO frustrating.  I am now using CD wicks (which I hate) on the new scents I released this year, but in the near future, I am going to have to fully convert my whole line (which means retesting everything).   I have tried ECO and well as LX, didn't care for them either (I use a para-soy blend).  I  am so frustrated I almost just want to quit offering candles and just stick with melts.  I hope you have found a suitable replacement or another vendor to get those wicks from.  I had contacted Alan at Peak months ago (a couple times) and never heard a peep back.  Dead end there.  Thanks!

• Like 1