any tips on choosing glass?

I want to start making my first container candle, but I have a question about glass. Is there “candle-grade” type glass, or do you just use any heavy glass? Don’t know much about the science of what heat does to different thicknesses of glass or the dangers (cracking/exploding) involved with choosing a random glass container. 

I think you should start with something that is specifically made for candles in the beginning. Once you get more experience you can branch out to other types. If you wick properly there isn't much chance of the glassware exploding or cracking. Just do an Internet search and you'll find tons to choose from. Most people stay around 3" diameter or less until you get more experience. 

Some good advice here. Look for jars made for candlemaking. Also, canning jars like jelly, salsa, hex, and mason work great for candlemaking. Candle suppliers carry candle jars so you can pick up some ideas there.

You might want to do a little research before making your selection. You will need to know your target customer and what sells in your area. For example I wanted an upscale look when I first started to I used apothecary jars. I didn't take into account I live in the country in an area that gets a lot of tourists. When they come to the country they want the country look; jelly jars, mason jars, you get the picture. So I switched out jars and my sales soared.

Re jar thickness, style, diameter, height, narrow or wide mouth, that can depend on the type of candle and wax you are using. For example I use palm wax and heavy bottom jars effect the crystalization pattern as the wax cools so I don't use heavy bottom jars.

On 9/3/2017 at 3:34 PM, Jeana said:

I think you should start with something that is specifically made for candles in the beginning. Once you get more experience you can branch out to other types. If you wick properly there isn't much chance of the glassware exploding or cracking. Just do an Internet search and you'll find tons to choose from. Most people stay around 3" diameter or less until you get more experience. 

Thanks everyone for the advice. What do you mean if I don’t wick properly? What will happen? So you mean if I don’t have it well attached to the bottom of the glass? 

Edited by chapguy

12 hours ago, chapguy said:

Thanks everyone for the advice. What do you mean if I don’t wick properly? What will happen? So you mean if I don’t have it well attached to the bottom of the glass? 

That or if it's a wick that is too big, in glass not properly rated for the amount of heat, it can crack, break, or yes, explode. These are rare cases but can happen, even in proper candle glass if you have an incorrect wick size. 

Thickness of a glass doesn't really matter, I have some very thick glass I wouldn't use for candles because it's not rated for heat at all, and yet, my apothecary glass is thin, but made specifically for candle making, and I don't hesitate to use. 

Knowing the right size wick comes with time, experience and testing. 

There are several threads about wicking and the different waxes and jars to help get you started once you decide in which direction you want to go.