Have internet marketplaces like Amazon or b&m like Costco changed your internet selling for the better, or worse?

TallTayl

I have noticed a gradual evolution of internet selling/shopping. People seem to want it all "now" and with free shipping.

Customers who feel wronged in any significant (or insignificant) way want a microphone to shout their feelings, a billboard to get their displeasure in writing and expect 100% money back no hassle returns, a free replacement and maintain the right to be mad. Etsy is following the Amazon model and making it tough to justify keeping a shop open there.

In this same vein, facebook groups and forums seem to magnify issues.

has it changed your business model at all? 

18 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

and maintain the right to be mad.

Honesty, I think this point right here has nothing to do really with selling, but just the way the world is (r)evolving. Everyone want the right to be offended whether they are right or wrong and they want everyone to agree with their offended opinion, and feel they have the right to be offended if someone does not agree with their offense. 

JMO though

• Like 2

I am offended by that reply. And it is now written for ever and ever and ever on the internet. So it must be truuuuueeeee

no, I am not really offended, but I get what you mean. Social media has depersonalized human beings who breathe, and have very real feelings. 

We tend to give so much of ourselves that it hurts. When we realize for some people it is not enough, it hurts even more. It gets overwhelming. Time spent coddling one difficult person steals from all the good customers we could be absolutely thrilling.

• Like 2

I agree with @Jcandleattic I too think its just the way the world is evolving. As far as candles go I think the BBW return policy has it where a customer can return

a candle even after burning it 1/2 way or all the way, beyond ridiculous. I was watching Youtube on my iPad at night and was surprised how many people

are on there ranting about BBW. I mean to the point that to me, anyhow, come off sounding as if their unhinged and disturbed IMO. I mean who has the time and

energy to call + travel to several BBW stores as they describe on the videos + then to actually make a video sounding like a spoiled child. IDK, to me thats just ODD.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I am offended by that reply. And it is now written for ever and ever and ever on the internet. So it must be truuuuueeeee

no, I am not really offended, but I get what you mean. Social media has depersonalized human beings who breathe, and have very real feelings. 

We tend to give so much of ourselves that it hurts. When we realize for some people it is not enough, it hurts even more. It gets overwhelming. Time spent coddling one difficult person steals from all the good customers we could be absolutely thrilling.

Spot on !

• Like 1

I meant to also answer the rest of the question - I DO believe that places that have Prime, or free shipping over a certain $$ amount, or free/hassle free returns, absolutely are hurting the small business because, yes, people come to expect that and then get upset when they don't get the free shipping, or the quick turn-arounds that small businesses just cannot accommodate. And that's when the consumers start bad-mouthing, or "expressing their opinion" as it were, which can be draining to the person running the business, damaging to the actual business, and half-cocked by the consumer. Drives me crazy... 

@Moonstar Costco lets you return absolutely anything, no questions asked.

Need a lawnmower for the summer? Buy one, use it, return it. Use the money for a winter snow thrower. Yup return that too in the spring. 

Hot summer? how about a pool? No problem, they have it covered. Buy it, use it, return it instead of storing it. 

Mattress? Yup, you guessed it. Full money back no problemo.

• Like 1

@TallTayl OMG I forgot about Costco lol ! I actually had an old neighbor years ago that did the exact same thing your describing. Weird part was she would tell

you thats what she did, had no shame and would say "thats their policy" LLBeans return anytime policy has really made the prices of the moc shoes go up

considerbly. I use to order my son those shoes, not anymore, I can't afford them. Wow Im surprised about the mattress though. Doesn't this

business model eventually put them out of business ??? 

Edited by Moonstar

8 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Yeah, Jc, at least when you know your customers by name, and see them face to face, the dynamic changes. 

This.... for me.

My sales venues are farmer's markets and craft shows so I am selling in person. So for me I am not getting any petty or absurd requests/complaints. Occasionally when I do get a complaint I am there to personally talk to the customer to find out what the problem is and give them a personalized solution depending on what it is.

I do have a website but never advertise it. Its only up to basically showcase my soap and products. I do have some website sales but the markets and shows are my bread and butter. Plus, those website sales I note are typically my local customers. I don't sell to many strangers. And if they have a problem they have to contact me personally and again I will customize a solution for them.

Can't say I have lost any money or had to make changes to any of my policies. I think when they know they deal with me directly it gives them a chance to vent with the owner direct and that right there can often be the diffuser.

There is a flip side to this and that is customer service is so bad in so many stores or horrible enough to be the same as non-existent. Customers have a right to get angry about this and that anger may carry over into other parts of their lives. KWIM? So when they get to you and you are there in person to help it can be a huge relief. That's just my take on it.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1