Clamshell Conundrum

Hello everyone!

So, I've been making melts for a long time now; I make only specialty shaped ones for my shop. I place them in poly bags with little tags.

I finally decided to get some clamshell containers from CS only to save some time and to increase my quantity but I'm so thrown off by the plastic odor! It really turns me away when I open the container and my beautiful wax is suffocated by that plastic smell.

I tried soaking them first in soapy water, then tried pouring cooler because the heat seems to activate the smell more. 

I think some of you may say that it doesn't effect the smell once the wax is in the warmer but to me it does; it's like that odor seeps through the wax the longer they cure.

Does anyone else have this issue? Conversely, do any of you buy clamshell containers from another supplier that don't smell so plasticky?

Thank you!

Edited by jfear

I have heard of many people having this issue but I have not 

I get mine from ICS and I use soy pouring at about 130-140 and I have never smelled plastic 

maybe the wax type and pour temp has a big part of that or the manufacturer of the clamshells 

• Like 1

I wouldn't have expected that of CS.  That totally sucks.  Maybe if you sat them outside for a couple days they would air out???
I've been buying from Maple Street for the last year or so.  They have great prices, and no plasticky smell.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Try Fillmore Container. They have good prices + they are made here in the US. As bfroberts mentioned,Maple Street is a good place to . Also try the link below :) 

https://candlepackagingusa.com/6-cavity-melt-base-2-5-oz-clear.html

Thanks, I love Fillmore! I will try them, I need to order some glass anyway.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

i have ordered several hundred clamshell containers from CS and have never had any smell like plastic (or anything for that matter). I have had another issue with a CS product once and their customer service was GREAT! They shipped replacements and issued a call tag for me to send my items back. They wanted the items back so they could reach out to their supplier and get the problem corrected.

I have ordered clamshells from a few suppliers and I like CS best. That being said, I haven't tried Fillmore, yet.