Experience with Lonestar's 4630?

Anyone have experience with Lonestar's 4630 wax? I recently started experimenting with 4630, both by itself and blended with other waxes. So far, I had only purchased it from Aztec and had no problems. Had to buy some other things from Lonestar and needed more 4630, so I bought it from them. Just started using it yesterday, and not only does it look different than the 4630 from Aztec, but the candles I made with it are not pretty.

The 4630 from Aztec was a very creamy-looking, opaque white wax and cut beautifully. Even with it being hot here in Arizona, it would get oily on the surface but still cut "cleanly". The 4630 from Lonestar is more translucent and is very sticky and difficult to cut cleanly through. The 4630 from Aztec always gave a smooth top whether used alone or blended with another wax. The 4630 from Lonestar, treated the same exact way as Aztec's, ended up giving a rippled texture to the candle surface...like actual ridges radiating from the center to the edge of the container.

Any thoughts or advice or similar tale of woe?

4 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

Sorry, I've only used 4636 from them, and some of their FO's. I LOVE their FO's. 

No worries. I've only tried a few of their FOs - Margaritaville, Dauntless, and Vanilla Satin. I like the Vanilla Satin. I get their tumblers too and wicks...but I'm bummed about the wax. Oh well.

Could be each place got a very different "lot" of the wax. The super stickiness and translucency sounds like more pertrolatum. .

I am finding a LOT of variation in my waxes this year. Creates a battle I did not need to fight making candles for the season ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Could be each place got a very different "lot" of the wax. The super stickiness and translucency sounds like more pertrolatum. .

I am finding a LOT of variation in my waxes this year. Creates a battle I did not need to fight making candles for the season ?

I know! And for someone like me who is still experimenting and testing, it makes it hard to know which supplier has the "good" or "right" version of the wax, know what I mean? Or at least a more consistent version, lol. And, yes, the stickiness and translucency of it was more like straight paraffins I have used. It was even somewhat similar to 4633, and it was definitely different than the 4630 from Aztec.

I'm just going to order some more 4630 from Aztec. Whatever it was that they sold me, I liked it, lol, so I'll stick with it as long as I can.

• 1 month later...

Yes I am having the same problem. I've been using igi 4630 for years now and have always gotten it from Peak but they are out so I got from Lonestar and this is what they look like. The red one was way worse but I hit it with a heat gun. And the tan one I test burned and even the melted wax solidified uneven.

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

Edited by Ajah

• 2 months later...

I'm a little late to the party!!!  Ordered a case of 4630 from Lonestar way back in April and haven't opened or used any of it yet - guess I better get busy and see what the he$$ is going on with my favorite wax.  (I also ordered a case of 1274 mottle wax that remains unopened)