Problem with 2nd bottle of same FO

bfroberts

Have you ever had an instance in which one bottle of FO performed much better than another bottle of the same FO?

I ordered an 8oz of a certain FO for testing last summer.  Tests went very well, and I decided to introduce the scent to my line.  My next order of the same FO was for a 2# bottle which happened to be on sale at the time I ordered it.  Fast forward to now, when I am making candles with the 2# bottle of FO and I have virtually no throw.  Same wax, same wicks, same container.  Same batch of all.  The only difference is this bottle of FO. Since it was on sale when I purchased it, I wonder if it was cut/diluted/whatever you call it, and that's the difference between the original bottle and this one.
I am hesitant to say which company I bought this from in case the problem is me, but after a dozen or so testers, I'm really not finding any other possibility. 

Some have had problems with a particular batch/date of 464 wax.  Are you using same box of wax?  I had a number of problems and started by pulling out my hair; then questioning where I bought wicks as they could have been from two different companies.  Then I heard others were having problems with Lot F of 464.  Mind you, Lot F might have one date on one box and another on a second box.  So not necessarily all of Lot F.  (For those using 464 and not having had a problem)  The manufacturer has been very helpful, requesting sample so they can test.

Goldie

I'm using 6006 primarily, and it is the same batch I had used previously.  I've even tried 4630 and palm wax to try and find get a decent throw out of this bottle of FO, and that isn't working either.  I am so bummed.  When I tested this fragrance initially, it was stellar.  I was getting a throw from another room within minutes.

Yes, I have experienced that. I can always tell when a supplier changes the fragrance formula by how it performs in my products. Not all retailers are up front about reformulations. 

Sometimes the formula has to change to meet IfRA updates. Sometimes it is cost to keep those oils available at the price points their customers are willing to pay.

i have also received oils that seemed like the bottom of the keg that needed to be shaken before decanting, but wasn't. It is super frustrating. 

Thanks for the info, TallTayl.  I wish I had realized this bottle was "off" sooner.  I am not one to complain this far after the purchase, so I'll let it go, but I am crossing this supplier off my list.  This isn't the first issue I've had with them. 

Bummer. It did not happen to me often, but enough to raise a flag.I usually do a test candle and soap bar when I get a new supply of an oil. I wish they would just put lot numbers on the bottles. Is that too much to ask? Sure would help troubleshoot problems.

One shipment of Oakmoss and Amber from CS caused my soap to develop what felt like bits of glass. It never fully hardened as it should and would not lather. The next shipment was fine.

Which leads me to another thought... Did the oil arrive in really cold weather? I have had some throw crystals;  some develop crystals in the bottle, and others develop them in the soap after making the product (the oakmoss amber).

just for kicks, does shaking the bottle help at all? some of my fragrances settle into layers.

I have had that happen with the FO before. Thankfully it is very rare but it does happen. It could be reformulation or a change in the manufacture. For all I know an ingredient that goes into the oil could have come from another supplier and threw the whole oil off. Also, ingredients that are farmed like EOs or extracts could be purchased from another source and that could make a huge difference. You just never know.

Anyway, when I start having problems with a FO I tend to look for a replacement somewhere else. What else can you do?!!:huh:

• Like 1

Thanks, Candybee.  I've fiddled around with it enough now to just give up.  It smells the exact same, just significantly weaker, and I've tried multiple applications to be 100% sure.  The biggest thing that sucks about it is the timing.  I started with 1oz, and then ordered 8ozh, because I always test pretty extensively before introducing a new scent.  Then finally bought the 2# to start production.  Just a lot of time and product wasted on this particular FO to never actually sell one.  And I've been actively promoting this scent prior to offering it.  Ugh.  What a mess.

I hate when that happens, it happened to me with Strawberry jam from TCS, a long time ago. I used this FO for years, ordered 2 LBS, neither bottle worked. It was very heavy, would not incorporate into the wax, finished candles looked like oily jars of goo. No matter what I did it was horrible. I did send  some back to them for them to check out, they said they tested it, the FO was fine. I threw away the FO, and moved on. UGH!

That's terrible, Karen.  I can imagine your frustration. 
I bought this bottle back in the fall, so I don't feel right complaining about it now.  I think I'll just move on, and consider it a lesson learned.

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 3:23 PM, bfroberts said:

That's terrible, Karen.  I can imagine your frustration. 
I bought this bottle back in the fall, so I don't feel right complaining about it now.  I think I'll just move on, and consider it a lesson learned.

Well it can't be that old, since fall.