Creating an Opaque Candle?

New to this whole craft and trying to get a hang of it. 

I've been working with IGI 4625 to create novelty shaped pillar candles that are molded in silicone molds. My only issue is creating a very opaque candle, since I cannot seem to achieve it with the IGI 4625. My fiance picked up some ArtMinds pillar wax from Michael's to test before we bought a large quantity of wax, and I absolutely love the opaque surface it creates; but I know it's more expensive and inferior. I don't really want to run this whole project on craft store wax that I can only buy in a few-pound quantities!  

20170406_231857.thumb.png.743fa70197cd931a3899d80bda666c27.png

Even when I use the same dye color (pardon I didn't for the photo, just had test candles), I still have that difference in opacity - it's visible in the wax as well. As I understand it, Vybar 103 may help with opacity, but IGI 4625 already has Vybar added and I hesitate to throw more in. Am I better starting off with a 140melt paraffin and adding my own Vybar? I've heard a couple things about luster crystals, although I cannot find much information on them - and there seems to be conflicting information if they make things more opaque or more transparent. 

Thanks for your help!

From what I understand vybar "helps with uniform dye dispersion and a reduction in surface flaws" -- if it's already an additive, I wouldn't add any more, as from what I've read, it can have a negative effect on scent if there's too much.  I'm not really familiar with your wax, but what about stearic acid?  I wonder how much is already in that wax.  The liquid concentrated dyes usually have the strongest color, imo.

Almost anything you add to wax will increase its opacity. However, in blended waxes it will be hard to know how much more vybar your could add before it becomes detrimental to your use. Steric will help some, but how much more might make your wax more brittle might be hard. Additives like lustre crystals, translucent/clear crystals can give you a variety of changes in your wax. lustre crystals increase the opacity as well as provides a sheen on the candle and increases burn time.Translucent/clear crystals work to make a wax more translucent. You would have to get some of the crystals and experiment. 

Adding steric will help some as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I use 4625 and years ago I was having snow flaking really bad in my pillars.  After searching for this Cierra Candles said to add 3 TBS steric and 1 TSP vybar 103 per lb.  I called them to be sure about this and they said IGI suggested adding this for the snow flaking and finger nailing which I also had in my pillars.  After I started doing this I had no problem with my wax.  I sell more pillars than I do containers.  Not sure about the  opacity though, after all these years I never understood for sure what was meant by that!  If it is what I think then IGI 1343 may be what you are looking for, 

This wax is generally used for making hurricane candles. This is a refined petroleum derived from paraffin wax. It is very clear wax. It has a melt point of 136-140 degrees.

I have used this at times for chunk candles but like 4625 better for the burn.  This had no additives I think but not as even a burn as I like

Edited by grama
  • Like 1