Uh oh. Nausea from fragrance. Advice?

glasllyn

2 hours ago, glasllyn said:

I haven't purchased an air purifier because so many of them are ineffective. Would love a rec for an effective model.

I was just looking at Amazon at their air purifiers. There are a great many of them, and the price range is significant. That's not including any $ for filter changes. And if you read outside opinions/articles on air purifiers, they just may not do what we think they might/should.

Just now, Incendia said:

I was just looking at Amazon at their air purifiers. There are a great many of them, and the price range is significant. That's not including any $ for filter changes. And if you read outside opinions/articles on air purifiers, they just may not do what we think they might/should.

Right. It's hard to know if you're getting what you think you're getting.

Just now, glasllyn said:

Right. It's hard to know if you're getting what you think you're getting.

As a hobbyist who probably will move onto another hobby over the summer, I doubt I'll go that route. Just too many unknowns.

That said, I do need to get control of my work area. I have finished candles all over the place, and FO bottles 'organized' on surfaces...  A few years ago, because of their pervasive scents, I had to move my little bottles into the garage. Think I'll have to do that again, especially now since I have so many more.  I now can smell scents in most areas of the house when I return home, even when no candles are burning. This house has a relatively open floor plan, so it's difficult to close off areas. Besides, I don't want to be working in a closed off area because of air circulation. So I'm dammed if I do, and dammed if I don't.

Of late I have been more stuffed up. But it's also spring here, with open windows and many blooming flowers outside. Hard to tell what is causing what. But if there is an additive aspect to the allergens, and I can reduce the FO scents in the house, I need to do it. I think I've been like the frog in the heating water - I didn't notice it was getting too hot till it already was too hot.

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there - another option is an inversion mask. I live in Utah (Salt Lake, specifically) and we get really bad air during the winter because the pollution gets trapped in the valley. 

My husband worked in a pharmaceutical lab for years and wore a respirator for the majority of those years - please remember that it can take your body time to adjust to how much harder it is to breathe through a respirator. Your lungs are working harder and you may feel short of breath until you adjust. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jbradshaw said:

Just throwing this out there - another option is an inversion mask. I live in Utah (Salt Lake, specifically) and we get really bad air during the winter because the pollution gets trapped in the valley. 

My husband worked in a pharmaceutical lab for years and wore a respirator for the majority of those years - please remember that it can take your body time to adjust to how much harder it is to breathe through a respirator. Your lungs are working harder and you may feel short of breath until you adjust. 

I purchased a mask specifically for filtering out organic solvents. I only get two lungs and one brain. I'm not going to mess them up if I can help it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A respirator is a must for candle making 

for years I never even thought about it and made them in my basement with no air flow and the kids and pets running around 

most MSDS sheets on the oils say no respirator needed but take it from me IT IS

I would get headaches constantly and cough and my face would burn....my son developed allergies that I can't help but blame myself for - he had sinus surgery last spring for crap sake and though I will never know I will always think it's all my fault 

I didn't know better as most don't going into candle making - I mean they don't list any hazards on the bottle and you can easily access them so why would you think they are not safe....

candybee is the one that turned me on to the respirator and I have to admit I hated it at first and it still does irritate me but what a difference it makes!

I went 2 steps further with it as well when I realized the oils could be harming my health and moved everything into our storage room and had a commercial exhaust fan installed so it sucks everything out and I had a UV light system put on my furnace that as the fan blows it zaps all chemicals, dust and odors supposedly 

it made a huge difference / once I start pouring the door doesn't open until I'm done and the fan runs 24 hours after to make sure and you can't smell the candles anywhere in my house but that storage room and outside where the vent is....ultimately this summer I want to build a mini barn and move it all out of my house completely 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

I didn't know better as most don't going into candle making - I mean they don't list any hazards on the bottle and you can easily access them so why would you think they are not safe....

In addition, the names of the fragrances are often things from benign to wonderful in real life - things we've lived with and loved our entire lives. Things we are relaxed around and that bring up pleasant memories and/or feelings of comfort and love. Things or memories we are seeking to enhance or repeat.  'Christmas tree', 'Orange blossom', 'Pumpkin pie', 'lavender', 'toasted marshmallow', 'love spell', 'baby powder'....

But what are they really? With true EOs the exception, the FOs most of us use are nothing more than chemicals chosen to remind us of things in real life that we treasure. They are illusions. Pleasant illusions to be sure. But I think their very names help give us a false sense of safety. How could something called 'Christmas tree' or 'Orange blossom' hurt us?

Edited by Incendia
  • Like 1

Great point, Moonshine and Incendia. I wore my respirator yesterday and I could not smell a thing. It was amazing. It was very lightweight and not as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. I wore it tight because I wanted nothing to get in. It worked very, very well. I cleaned up everything I could think of, then took off the mask. I could still smell the scents. Imagine how strong they were while I was working! I'm sold.

• Like 1

If you can....it also helps to make sure  your pouring in an area closed off from the rest of the house and air it out completely when done....I won't pour anymore even though I now do this myself and have an exhaust fan and UV filter unless everyone is out of the house 

• Like 2

I had to give up making scented candles altogether. I used to make them outside wearing an N95 mask, and stored the FO's and finished candles in my house. I never had any real issues because I had jalousie windows that leaked like crazy. Then I moved to a much tighter house. I wasn't even making candles but got sick as a dog between the FO's and a small amount of waxy tools and product stored. To be fair I had some issues with mold in the HVAC system too. Got rid of the FO and even my container wax which was evaporating about an ounce a year. I had to paint the closet with Kilz because I could not get the scent out. I don't know if I will ever be able to make candles again. So be careful folks, and that includes where you store FO.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, coconut said:

I had to give up making scented candles altogether. I used to make them outside wearing an N95 mask, and stored the FO's and finished candles in my house. I never had any real issues because I had jalousie windows that leaked like crazy. Then I moved to a much tighter house. I wasn't even making candles but got sick as a dog between the FO's and a small amount of waxy tools and product stored. To be fair I had some issues with mold in the HVAC system too. Got rid of the FO and even my container wax which was evaporating about an ounce a year. I had to paint the closet with Kilz because I could not get the scent out. I don't know if I will ever be able to make candles again. So be careful folks, and that includes where you store FO.

What happened to you, coconut? Physically, I mean.

2 minutes ago, glasllyn said:

What happened to you, coconut? Physically, I mean.

My allergies went berserk which sent my asthma into overdrive. I spent several nights in a chair gasping for air all night. The pulmonologist was not much help as he didn't understand allergies. It was not one thing; it was a combination of the mold, dust, and the FO's aggravated it. I think the air in this town is bad too. Oh and food allergies I did not know I had. Soy of all things. I bought another house and will be moving this year I hope. We did remediate the mold and the FO but there is still a lot of dust. I am doing better but still have a ways to go to better health. You cannot be too careful how you pour and where you store.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Essential oils either. 

You betcha...  One of the roles of essential oils in nature is to some extent, toxic. There are several roles for essential oils - from pleasant lightly scented flowers to attract pollinators,  to the adaptation via essential oils and other natural chemicals, which both prevent animals from eating the leaves, as well as preventing germination of seeds beneath species with these compounds (to lessen competition for limited water).

In dry environments such as those found in Mediterranean climates, one of the mechanisms for plant survival is the production of essential oils. In plants such as lavender, various sages, eucalyptus, verbena, thyme, rosemary, and others - plentiful essential oils are a deterrent to other organisms. In fact, in dry years, bare zones where no other plants grow (seeds don't germinate), can be found around plants such as these. The phenomenon is called allelopathy.  There are more chemicals involved than just EOs, but they are a significant player.

But, hey, they are 'natural' so they can't be dangerous to humans.

They have been used for centuries, and I'm not saying they are dangerous, but I think some of these compounds in some circumstances may not be totally benign.

• Like 1