Freshly Baked Bread: Has anyone nailed it?

glasllyn

Ah. The dreaded FBB. One of those "headscratcher" fragrances that's available practically everywhere yet none smell of fresh baked bread, IMO.

If I had to guess, one out of every 5 suppliers carries a Baked Bread scent. And of those... they all fail to pass the blind smell test (Give to a friend and say "Smell This!")

So what to do. We'll I've found things that smell similar to bread but nothing that hits the right notes on all cylinders. Others here may disagree. Smell is subjective of course but I can't say I've found that perfect bread scent yet. I want the knock you down dry, yeasty, warm, herbal notes that hit you whilst walking past the local grocer's bakery.

I haven't found that pitch perfect scent yet. But there are things that could possibly work with a little experimentation. One of the key odorants in Bread is: 2-acetyl-1-pyrroline which is essentially a wheaty popcorn note. You could try a Popcorn FO as your starting point careful to avoid ones with strong butter notes. Although you might have luck with buying a Fresh Baked Bread fragrance off the shelf. I can't comment on that but other members might be able to assist you in finding a truer Baked Bread fragrance oil.

Come to think of it... I might just try to concoct one. It'll give me something to do next week. lol I'll keep you posted.

Edited by rctfavr3
  • Like 2

I like Olde Towne Bake Shoppe from Peaks.  This is description - 

warm, inviting aromas of an old-fashioned bakery. Top notes of buttery vanilla combine with the irresistable scents of fresh dough and gooey batter, with hints of sugared almonds to complete this heavenly fragrance.

• Like 1

Thanks to you both. I did check out the aroma chem profile for FBB but I am unable to find the chemicals for purchase. I may have found some similar ones, but I'm not sure yet. Please let me know what happens! 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Has anyone tried the Fresh Baked Bread from WSP ? 

I have! I used it in melts. I love it. You can really smell the yeast. I look forward to making different "pastries" with it. 

11 hours ago, SueH said:

I really like Fresh Baked Bread from Bittercreek North!

I just ordered a sample to try it. I'm always optimizing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glasllyn said:

I have! I used it in melts. I love it. You can really smell the yeast. I look forward to making different "pastries" with it. 

I just ordered a sample to try it. I'm always optimizing!

That was an aspect I liked about it too! I'm thinking of using it as a base for a Ball Park Pretzel fragrance blend. I've tried SoS's pretzel FO and didn't think it worked all that well. I'll see if I can use this combined with a few other goodies.

7 hours ago, rctfavr3 said:

That was an aspect I liked about it too! I'm thinking of using it as a base for a Ball Park Pretzel fragrance blend. I've tried SoS's pretzel FO and didn't think it worked all that well. I'll see if I can use this combined with a few other goodies.

That's interesting! I'm planning on doing some odd foodie stuff. May I ask what you're making?