Mushroom With Smaller Wick?

I'm testing Vanilla Bean (NG) in a 4 oz jar (a little less than 2.5 inches in diameter), 444 wax, 6% FO, CD-6 wick. This is my first attempt at using CD wicks.  

The pictures here are of this vanilla candle.

The candle has a good melt pool (the pictures are from the second burn, it's been going about 2 hours today).  Scent throw is better than with ECO wicks, but still not amazing.  It has a small mushroom, but the flame is very weak!  I'm actually afraid it is going to go out.  I have never had this happen before.    I guess I'll wick up to a CD-7, even though the melt pool is nice and it is already mushrooming.  Strange...

I am also testing Genuine Leather (FC) with CD-6 and CD-8 (my CD-7 wicks had not come in when I poured them).  Both seem to be burning well, unlike the vanilla.  Some hangup on one side, even though I twisted my wicks.  Strangely, it seems that the smaller wick mushrooms more than the larger wick.  I am not familiar with this phenomenon, so that's interesting.  I'm curious to know what some of you think about it.

Vanilla1.jpgVanilla 3.jpgVanilla 2.jpg

It's really burning real nice aside from the fact of the mushroom.  So I guess too I would try the next size cd7.  I've never used 444 but they say it is similar to 464 which I use.  As far as the scent throw goes it could be just not a good thrower for that wax.  As a matter of fact I tried the same fragrance in 464 and really didn't get much of any throw at all so I was not pleased at all.  Great testing Hatch....looks really wonderful the candle.  I just hate that when things like this happen when everything pretty much lines up and your off just one teency bit.  I'm sure someone will come and help you here...sorry I couldn't offer much help....;)

Trappeur

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

It's really burning real nice aside from the fact of the mushroom.  So I guess too I would try the next size cd7.  I've never used 444 but they say it is similar to 464 which I use.  As far as the scent throw goes it could be just not a good thrower for that wax.  As a matter of fact I tried the same fragrance in 464 and really didn't get much of any throw at all so I was not pleased at all.  Great testing Hatch....looks really wonderful the candle.  I just hate that when things like this happen when everything pretty much lines up and your off just one teency bit.  I'm sure someone will come and help you here...sorry I couldn't offer much help....;)

Trappeur

Thanks Trapp.  I value your opinion, so it was very helpful!  I actually had great success with this fragrance when I used a CSN-12 wick.  The hot throw was phenomenal.

(And now you're probably wondering - why did this crazy lady change wicks when she had one that worked?!  If it ain't broke, don't fix it!)   

The CSNs just didn't seem to work for some fragrances and weren't visually appealing to me. This, paired with the fact that I knew they were formulated for palm wax and not soy... I don't know, just felt like something made specifically for soy/paraffin would work better.  I had hoped to completely switch over to a different type of wick and didn't want to use different types of wicks for different FOs.  But eh, I haven't tested all of my fragrances with the CDs yet and we will see where I end up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2017 at 5:02 PM, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

Why would there be a mushroom? I thought that came from too big of a wick which this doesn't seem to be.  Does the fragrance used cause this?

Goldie

18 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Why would there be a mushroom? I thought that came from too big of a wick which this doesn't seem to be.  Does the fragrance used cause this?

Goldie

I was thinking the same thing, but from what Ive gathered sometimes heavy FO's like Vanilla need to wicked up from whatever else may work in that jar. Meaning, if you made the exact same jar/wick combo in both your Macintosh Apple and Vanilla testers, most likely you will need to wick up in the Vanilla. I MAY BE WRONG ON THIS AND PLEASE SAY SO IF I AM, but in my days of reading and trying to retain all the info fellow board members have passed on I think this was one of them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Clear Black said:

I was thinking the same thing, but from what Ive gathered sometimes heavy FO's like Vanilla need to wicked up from whatever else may work in that jar. Meaning, if you made the exact same jar/wick combo in both your Macintosh Apple and Vanilla testers, most likely you will need to wick up in the Vanilla. I MAY BE WRONG ON THIS AND PLEASE SAY SO IF I AM, but in my days of reading and trying to retain all the info fellow board members have passed on I think this was one of them.

I'm at a standstill right now as I poured pint jars with Aztec Crimson Berry, Sweet Potato Brown Sugar, Autumn Day fragrances two weeks ago.  Started testing and am getting mushrooms.  Remelting and starting without a wick although I don't even care for the fragrances.  Just want to see if I should try a completely different brand of wick.  Could also be the last Premier wicks I got were from Aztec and they are different from Flaming Candle Premier wicks.  I'm using 464.  

Goldie

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2017 at 3:40 PM, Clear Black said:

Goldie, I eventually gave up on Premiers and went to CD's. So far the mushrooming has been "tolerable" but not as bad as Premier. It is still an issue for me tho sadly

How are the CDs doing for you?  I may start testing them to see if I can get a great hot throw, little heat, smaller melt pool in my Ball pint jars.  Will just add try one CD with the rest of the batch using Premiers to compare.

Goldie

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 4:24 PM, GoldieMN said:

Goldie

Mushrooms = incomplete combustion. A product of something that isn't burning optimally, whether it be too hot or too cold.

• Like 1