Working with different types of tins

I've used 8oz tins from CS before, and really liked it - I've always been a glass girl but lately I'm thinking about venturing into more tin containers. 

Has anyone used other tins that they love? And if so, who are your suppliers?

Would I be crazy to try to wick a mini paint can (1/2pint size - pic below )? They are made of tin plated steel, which is the same material as all of the other candle tins I've seen. I know it's possible, as I've seen some candles made this way on etsy and just loved the look, but as we all know people often make crazy decisions when it comes to candle containers. 

Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 2.44.33 PM.png

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Part of the shortcoming of tins is you can't see the flame. Those deep cans might also get really hot as they reach the midpoint.

i use the deep tins from specialty container.

Those were my two concerns. I was thinking of seeing if my husband could drill or punch some holes in a row near the top of the can to let the light through. But I'm not sure how to handle the temperature - just need to test it out, I suppose. They are 2 7/8" high, so less than an inch taller than most of the 8oz candle tins I've seen. 

16 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I too love these & wanted to try 

them myself. If I find the old link

ill repost of where I've seen them

may I ask where these are from ?

You might need to supply the paint can opener ???

super cute idea ?

The photo above is from Uline but I've been able to find the 1/2 pint and 1/4 pint cans on a few different websites. I was worried about the lid as well, not sure how hard it would be to get it open. I just love the look of them, and it's something sort of different which I like as well. 

Bittercreek carries those tins.  I used to make them.  And they do get hot that is for sure.  So like the rest of candle testing in jars you will need definitely have to test them.  And make sure that when you do, you need to burn them right to the bottom as that is the critical area of how hot the tin will get.  But they are great little tins.  You can get them up to 16oz.  some people rust them to give them the aged look.  I left mine plain.  And labels look great on them.

Trappeur