Joy Wax Vs Normal Parafin? What smells strongest?

I have about 4" candles I am using joy wax for. I made one and allowed it to cure for two days (when I CALLED NG they said cure for two days) and using their coconut cream pie fragrance and some vybar. The smell was better than my other candles but not where I can smell it no matter where I am in my bedroom. Even if door is closed. That's a turn off for me since I want my candles to smell like bath and body ones. I want the BEST scent throw hands down. I made a new one using 1.5 fragrance and no seeping so I will test in a few days. My question is, did I mess up going with joy wax? They state its the best hot throw wax out there on their site but could be a bluff... Should I switch to pure paraffin? I am using CD wicks if it matters. Do I need to let the candle I lit yesterday cure a few more days before lighting it?

How many scents have you tried with the was? If I'm correct, Joy wax is a parasoy blend, and may need more than 2 days cure time. You might want to try a longer cure time and a scent that is known to be strong at a 6% load. (have no idea about their coconut cream pie, however coconut scents tend to be light). 

If you are still getting a light scent after a 2 week cure and a known strong scent and you know your wicking is correct, it could be the wax, but you should eliminate all other possibilities before blaming one thing. It could be a combination of circumstances combined giving you a light scent. I would also start with 6% fragrance load to start with and go up from there. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

How many scents have you tried with the was? If I'm correct, Joy wax is a parasoy blend, and may need more than 2 days cure time. You might want to try a longer cure time and a scent that is known to be strong at a 6% load. (have no idea about their coconut cream pie, however coconut scents tend to be light). 

If you are still getting a light scent after a 2 week cure and a known strong scent and you know your wicking is correct, it could be the wax, but you should eliminate all other possibilities before blaming one thing. It could be a combination of circumstances combined giving you a light scent. I would also start with 6% fragrance load to start with and go up from there. 

I'm actually using 1 oz for my candle. I want to use max fragrance load as a lot of people do this and I really want you to smell it all over. I could try with pink sugar. (I also just saw your other post.) 2 weeks is ridiculous amount of time to wait, should I just switch to paraffin? Is paraffin the best wax for scent throw?

10 minutes ago, CyanideNoodles said:

I'm actually using 1 oz for my candle. I want to use max fragrance load as a lot of people do this and I really want you to smell it all over. I could try with pink sugar. (I also just saw your other post.) 2 weeks is ridiculous amount of time to wait, should I just switch to paraffin? Is paraffin the best wax for scent throw?

Even paraffin benefits from a cure, and will need testing to get it right.

There are no shortcuts to testing. If you want your candle to be the best it can be, then nothing really is "ridiculous" except not taking the steps necessary to achieve this. 

I personally don't use the max fragrance of any wax, because I can get an AWESOME throw with less. Why waste the product and money if you can get just as good (if not better in some cases) with using a lesser amount? 

I've never bought into the mindset of more is better. In some (most I find) that is just not the case. 

I'm of the mindset that just because you can, doesn't always mean you should... 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Even paraffin benefits from a cure, and will need testing to get it right.

There are no shortcuts to testing. If you want your candle to be the best it can be, then nothing really is "ridiculous" except not taking the steps necessary to achieve this. 

I personally don't use the max fragrance of any wax, because I can get an AWESOME throw with less. Why waste the product and money if you can get just as good (if not better in some cases) with using a lesser amount? 

I've never bought into the mindset of more is better. In some (most I find) that is just not the case. 

I'm of the mindset that just because you can, doesn't always mean you should... 

I just don't have the time waiting 2 weeks for every candle. I'm saying in general, is parafin better for throw compared to para soy? Not cure time. I know parafin has a much shorter cure time. That's not what I am asking. No one is giving a straight answer on what wax is best for what I want, which is best over all scent throw. :(

11 minutes ago, CyanideNoodles said:

I just don't have the time waiting 2 weeks for every candle. I'm saying in general, is parafin better for throw compared to para soy? Not cure time. I know parafin has a much shorter cure time. That's not what I am asking. No one is giving a straight answer on what wax is best for what I want, which is best over all scent throw. :(

Unfortunately, if you don't have the time to put in for testing, this probably isn't the hobby for you. Not trying to be mean, just blunt. Testing takes time, and to get a great product, you have to put in the time. We've all been there, and we've all taken the time to learn and hone our craft to make it the best for us. 

I know many many people who use straight soy that have just a great of throw as any paraffin out on the market. Every wax has the potential for a great throw. What a chandler has to do, is bring that potential to reality by taking the time it takes, no matter how long that may be, and develop the best product they can. If you would like to switch to paraffin to try to get a better throw, than you can do that, but it will also take time to test paraffin as well. 

The reason you are not getting a definitive answer to your question is because in this craft, there is no such thing as a one size fits all for the end all be all product. It all comes down to testing and perfecting the product you are using   

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

Unfortunately, if you don't have the time to put in for testing, this probably isn't the hobby for you. Not trying to be mean, just blunt. Testing takes time, and to get a great product, you have to put in the time. We've all been there, and we've all taken the time to learn and hone our craft to make it the best for us. 

I know many many people who use straight soy that have just a great of throw as any paraffin out on the market. Every wax has the potential for a great throw. What a chandler has to do, is bring that potential to reality by taking the time it takes, no matter how long that may be, and develop the best product they can. If you would like to switch to paraffin to try to get a better throw, than you can do that, but it will also take time to test paraffin as well. 

The reason you are not getting a definitive answer to your question is because in this craft, there is no such thing as a one size fits all for the end all be all product. It all comes down to testing and perfecting the product you are using   

Thanks but..Uhm..I have been testing on and off for a year now  in between hospitalizations. So that really isn't the case.I've tried a ton of waxes and this is my first time using a slightly paraffin wax.I see a lot of people saying paraffin is better but not comparing it to parasoy. So if anyone has an answer, I'd appreciate it. Everyone on here says, say what you want exactly so we can help you, well that is what I am looking for. Joy Wax Parasoy VS Paraffin. Which is best in whomevers option for strong scent. :\
Besides I don't like soy wax to begin with, too difficult.

Edited by CyanideNoodles
mentioning soy

I have had fantastic throw in all types of waxes, so it is not an easy answer to point you to a single perfect wax. Testing on and off for a year is not the same as testing weekly for a year, KwIM? 

What other scents have you tried? Coconut scents tend to be light. And as you've probably read, more is not always more. More fragrance can impede excellent throw. Too hot or too cold of a wick can change strength of throw. Air currents in the room and container can change the perception of throw. 

I would try a much easier fragrance before changing waxes. Try just about any floral and if you don't get any throw change wicks. If you still don't get any throw then It could be the wax. My go-to test for fragrance is to put a few drops in a wax or oil warmer. If it throws in that, then the fragrance variable is not the problem. 

NG had some sort of forum, doesn't it? Others must use joy wax. It's not been mentioned much at all here, so that's probably why you're not getting the answers you seek. 

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I have had fantastic throw in all types of waxes, so it is not an easy answer to point you to a single perfect wax. Testing on and off for a year is not the same as testing weekly for a year, KwIM? 

What other scents have you tried? Coconut scents tend to be light. And as you've probably read, more is not always more. More fragrance can impede excellent throw. Too hot or too cold of a wick can change strength of throw. Air currents in the room and container can change the perception of throw. 

I would try a much easier fragrance before changing waxes. Try just about any floral and if you don't get any throw change wicks. If you still don't get any throw then It could be the wax. My go-to test for fragrance is to put a few drops in a wax or oil warmer. If it throws in that, then the fragrance variable is not the problem. 

NG had some sort of forum, doesn't it? Others must use joy wax. It's not been mentioned much at all here, so that's probably why you're not getting the answers you seek. 

Oh does it?..Just checked don't see anything. I most certainly will try a better fragrance. I have witches brew , cotton candy, pink sugar, blue spruce. Which of those would be best to try? A lot of my scents are more bakery themed like the coconut one, candy corn, peppermint vanilla, etc.

You chose a lot of challenging scents. Bakery and mits are all a bit harder to wick, but if I were to choose, I would pick blue spruce, thinking from experience it will be the most straight forward to wick. Too much pine fragrance can give a fuel scent, so start down at 6% (1oz per pound of wax).