WSP order came in - what should I try first?

jbradshaw

Received semi-recently an order of FOs from WSP and I'm just getting around to opening them and hopefully will get some poured next week. Any favorites in the list below I should start with? Or duds I should watch out for? I use 464 and I'm testing CD and ECO wicks.

Sea Glass

Bedtime Bath

Crackling Firewood (I think I heard this was tough to wick?)

Bourbon Vanilla

Shampure

Frasier Fir

Farmer's Market Baby Bibb

Tonka Bean and Saffron

HI jb,

Well I use 464 and cd wicks...don't know what jar your using but can pass on this info.  What jars are you using?

Frasier Fir :    Excellent - super throw - is an awesome fragrance.  Now CS carries same Frasier and is a lot cheaper but both are the exact same to me...

Great super seller for me in shops.....If you like pines, you will love this one!

Crackling Firewood:   I never ever could get that one to burn.  I used the highest cd and htp wicks and still could never figure out a wicking.

Now I love love love this fragrance.  Please post your findings on this one and how you do...cause I would love to be able to make it for

myself as well as sell to shops  Out of all the firewood fragrances out there, I never liked anyones but WSP.

I never ordered any thing else from WSP.  That bourbon vanilla sounds awesome. and the tonka bean and saffron.  I have a store that I think would love those.

What's that baby bib one?.  What does it smell like?  Lettuce? lol....if that even has a smell.

Trappeur

@Trappeur

I've been using 8oz tins and just tried out some 8oz straight sided jars for the first time so I'm doing test burns in those now.

I'm excited to hear about the Frasier Fir! I do love pine scents - I'll have to check out the CS since it's cheaper :) My MIL bought me CS Blue Spruce and it's really nice out of the bottle but I haven't put it in wax yet. 

Hopefully I'll have some luck with the crackling firewood - it smells amazing! I was hoping to blend it (eventually) with a toasted marshmallow for sort of a camp out type scent. I've got some ECO wicks, maybe I'll try it with those. Have you tried Fireside from Peak? It wasn't my favorite scent but husband and friends loved it and the throw was great. 

I wasn't impressed with the bourbon vanilla OOB but I'll have to see what it's like in wax. Tonka Bean and Saffron I'm really excited about - I don't exactly know how to describe it but I love the scent.

Bibb is described on the site as 'Aromatic Arugula, Blooming Cyclamen, Soothing Bergamot, Fresh Basil, White Lily, Green Leaf Accord, Key Lime'. If you like fresh scents - this one is sooooo nice from the bottle. I don't get any of the key lime when I smell it, but it's like walking through a farmer's market, which is exactly what I was hoping for. 

I don't see many people using WSP scents but I thought I'd give them a try - I'll make sure I report back. 

• Like 1

what is it about the bourbon vanilla that you don't care for ? the vanilla hazelnut is really good and Im not a floral person but i do like the peony.

Once I get a little more money to play with Id like to get - cucumber mint - pink grapefruit - eucalyptus spearmint - lav sage - almond + honey

iced tea twist - raspberry lemonade - citrus + sage - OMH - vine ripe tomato - they all so so good lol ! I wish I  was rich lol ! Oh well :( 

Forgot to ask - whats the sea glass and shampure like ?

Edited by Moonstar

Another good choice you picked is yep, the Blue Spruce....I use that also....excellent choice for 464.

Now this is a sharp different pine but it is beautiful....been using that one for years also. 

I also need to come up with a campfire marshmallow scent.  I have toasted marshmallow from RE but still there is something missing....I just don't know...

But the crackling firewood if you could get that to throw with a good wick, that would be great.  So if you do a blend with these 2 what oil and from what company are you using the marshmallow from, (that's if you don't mind me asking)...

Like Moonstar asked, what is it that you don't like with the bourbon vanilla?

Trappeur

• Like 1

@Moonstar

Oooh I bet I'd love the vanilla hazelnut. I guess with the bourbon vanilla I'm just not getting anything beyond a vanilla scent. I'll definitely still put it in wax to see how I feel about it though - even if it's just vanilla I love that in a candle. I almost bought the tomato FO because I'd love to try that with this Bibb lettuce, but I wasn't sure I'd like the lettuce and I was trying to be somewhat economical in what I tried out. And after hearing the Iced Tea Twist is great I'll definitely be ordering that next time. I'd want to try the Eucalyptus Mint as well - I tried one from Peak and even though husband likes it, I find it to smell a bit too soapy. 

@Trappeur 

I've been trying to find more reviews for each of the marshmallow scents - so I haven't bought any! Paralysis by analysis I suppose. I was hoping Pine Meadow or Mountain Sage might have something as I could go in person to either of those places - but alas, no marshmallow scents. I've never ordered from RE before - only CS, WSP and Peak so far. I'm trying to recreate some scents that bring back good memories and a nice campfire would be amazing. 

• Like 1

Not to throw another supplier in to the mix (although I guess that's exactly what I'm doing!), the vanilla bourbon from CandleSoylutions is pretty good and throws well in soy wax.

I am also curious to hear about crackling firewood - a nice campfire is one of my absolute favorite scents.

10 minutes ago, ehatch1 said:

Not to throw another supplier in to the mix (although I guess that's exactly what I'm doing!), the vanilla bourbon from CandleSoylutions is pretty good and throws well in soy wax.

I am also curious to hear about crackling firewood - a nice campfire is one of my absolute favorite scents.

How is vanilla bourbon different from a regular vanilla, is it more masculine? 

22 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

So bourbon vanilla as a baking ingredient just comes from a different type of vanilla pod, but the fragrance oil Bourbon Vanilla supposedly has some woody notes as well, I just wasn't getting those in the WSP oil OOB. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jbradshaw said:

So bourbon vanilla as a baking ingredient just comes from a different type of vanilla pod, but the fragrance oil Bourbon Vanilla supposedly has some woody notes as well, I just wasn't getting those in the WSP oil OOB. 

Thank you ?

41 minutes ago, Incendia said:

Even though it's January, I'm looking for a good Christmas tree scent. @Trappeur , you mentioned both blue spruce and Frasier fir. I've seen good mention of both here and there. Which of those two do you think is more fresh Christmas-tree-y?

I'll chime in here too lol ! To me 

Blue spruce is a good year round 

as is frasier fir. The Christmas tree ? scent that all of my family and staff at my sons school loved is Christmas tree from Fillmore Container- so so good ? Frasier

fir a close second. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonstar said:

The vanilla bourbon from CandleSoylutions is more bourbon whiskey with hints of vanilla bean.  Perhaps why it's called "vanilla bourbon" rather than "bourbon vanilla" like the one from WSP.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Another good choice you picked is yep, the Blue Spruce....I use that also....excellent choice for 464.

Now this is a sharp different pine but it is beautiful....been using that one for years also. 

I also need to come up with a campfire marshmallow scent.  I have toasted marshmallow from RE but still there is something missing....I just don't know...

But the crackling firewood if you could get that to throw with a good wick, that would be great.  So if you do a blend with these 2 what oil and from what company are you using the marshmallow from, (that's if you don't mind me asking)...

Like Moonstar asked, what is it that you don't like with the bourbon vanilla?

Trappeur

Campfire from BCN.... I'm not a huge user of BCN or AH/RE but I have a sample of the the AH toasted marshmallow And have played with the campfire in other combos recently- if I were a betting person those 2 combined could be the bomb.....I don't remember if I ordered the cracking firewood from WSP In my quest for a burning wood I need to go check that out 

3 hours ago, Incendia said:

Even though it's January, I'm looking for a good Christmas tree scent. @Trappeur , you mentioned both blue spruce and Frasier fir. I've seen good mention of both here and there. Which of those two do you think is more fresh Christmas-tree-y?

I agree with what Moonstar said.

Those 3 scents are all bombs......they really are.

I have been using Christmas Tree from Fillmore for well over 10 years and it has always been a #1 best seller in the pine catagory.  Years back there was a company out of New Hampshire called the "Natural Artisan" which was her scent "Balsam Fir"  Then she sold her business and Fillmore bought out the Balsam Fir.

Fillmore renamed it to Christmas Tree but it is really a "TRUE" balsam fir.  The best way I can describe this fragrance is have you ever been in a store that carried those little tiny pillows stuffed with balsam fir needles"  They are tiny little pillows that are made most of them in Maine.  They fill these tiny like 7" pillows with crushed balsam fir tips and they last for years and years.  They still make these pillows these companies and you can get them in screen printed designs...they are just the cutest pillows.  I used to sell them in my store.  You could just walk by a display of them and just get that beautiful aroma of the balsam fir needles...just so heavenly.   I sell this all year long.  Even at Christmas time I always leave the name Balsam Fir on the candle, but of course you can rename it to anything you want.  But people I find will relate to the actual name "Balsam Fir" and buy it just for that.

Now Blue Spruce if you have ever smelled that tree, it is a different pine but strong....it is another winner.  Just a different pine.

Frasier Fir is also another winner.  For so long we have all been trying to fine a dupe of "Thymes" fragrance called Frasier Fir and CS just came out with it this past year and it is almost an exact dupe...not quite but pretty darn good.  It's beautiful!   WSP like I said is to me the same as CS but extremely expensive.

You can't go wrong with this fragrance.

As far as answering your question which pine would be the one for a Christmas tree?  Well, eeney meeney miney mo.....They are all perfect to be called a Christmas tree scent.  You better get some of each!  Just a matter of preference.  They are others here on the board that have recommendations of good ones they use and I'm sure they will chime in here.

Trappeur

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

@Trappeur I finally ordered some marshmallow FOs and they came in. Last night I poured them, so the below is just based on CT.

1. WSP Crackling Firewood and JS Toasted Marshmallow (2:1) - toasted marshmallow is completely overwhelming the CF in the jar. Haven't lit it, obviously. 

2. WSP Crackling Firewood and JS Vanilla Bean Marshmallow (2:1) - I have high hopes! It seems like a nice blend of the two so far, hoping it doesn't start leaning too much toward the marshmallow as it cures. 

I don't think I can wait two weeks to light them! 

I think with both of these I may end up having to go to a 3:1 to get enough of the CF scent. Which means I need to order more CF! That scent is so amazing, I'm really hoping I can wick it. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2017 at 11:21 AM, jbradshaw said:

@Trappeur I finally ordered some marshmallow FOs and they came in. Last night I poured them, so the below is just based on CT.

1. WSP Crackling Firewood and JS Toasted Marshmallow (2:1) - toasted marshmallow is completely overwhelming the CF in the jar. Haven't lit it, obviously. 

2. WSP Crackling Firewood and JS Vanilla Bean Marshmallow (2:1) - I have high hopes! It seems like a nice blend of the two so far, hoping it doesn't start leaning too much toward the marshmallow as it cures. 

I don't think I can wait two weeks to light them! 

I think with both of these I may end up having to go to a 3:1 to get enough of the CF scent. Which means I need to order more CF! That scent is so amazing, I'm really hoping I can wick it. 

I too like the Vanilla Bean Marshmallow from JS. OOB i thought it was just ok but it has a really nice scent after a cure. Another marshmallow Id like to try is the 

Marshmallow Fluff from Day Star, many on here have posted its pretty good. Ive never ordered anything from Day Star so one of these days I'll just go for it lol ! 

I do the the toasted marshmallow from RE but to me I just get a rich vanilla no "toasted" did not like the bonfire bliss though :( didn't remind me of a bonfire 

in the least, but again, I know many love that one, its just not for me. How to your blends turn out, were you pleased ? 

On 3/3/2017 at 2:54 PM, Moonstar said:

I too like the Vanilla Bean Marshmallow from JS. OOB i thought it was just ok but it has a really nice scent after a cure. Another marshmallow Id like to try is the 

Marshmallow Fluff from Day Star, many on here have posted its pretty good. Ive never ordered anything from Day Star so one of these days I'll just go for it lol ! 

I do the the toasted marshmallow from RE but to me I just get a rich vanilla no "toasted" did not like the bonfire bliss though :( didn't remind me of a bonfire 

in the least, but again, I know many love that one, its just not for me. How to your blends turn out, were you pleased ? 

I've never ordered from Day Star, either. I haven't heard of many other FOs to try from there, once I get a good list of ones to try I'll do an order from them. 

So far the blend of VBN and Crackling Firewood is nice - I'm definitely getting both scents, but next time I would change the ratio to be heavier on the Crackling firewood. I'm really looking for a firewood scent with a hint of marshmallow, and right now the blend is reversed. However, it's way overwicked - and the throw is just OK with that wick so I don't know how it would be to wick down :( Super challenging. I haven't burned the Toasted Marshmallow blend yet, but it's so overpowering in the CT I don't have high hopes. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jbradshaw said:

I've never ordered from Day Star, either. I haven't heard of many other FOs to try from there, once I get a good list of ones to try I'll do an order from them. 

So far the blend of VBN and Crackling Firewood is nice - I'm definitely getting both scents, but next time I would change the ratio to be heavier on the Crackling firewood. I'm really looking for a firewood scent with a hint of marshmallow, and right now the blend is reversed. However, it's way overwicked - and the throw is just OK with that wick so I don't know how it would be to wick down :( Super challenging. I haven't burned the Toasted Marshmallow blend yet, but it's so overpowering in the CT I don't have high hopes. 

I would think VERY little would be needed of the crackling firewood to add to the VBN. Are you using WSP for the VBN ? that one is awesome and the scent lingers

Cant wait to hear your results. Please post your wax + wick when you nail it ! - unless you did + I missed it lol ! 

On 2/2/2017 at 8:11 PM, moonshine said:

Campfire from BCN.... I'm not a huge user of BCN or AH/RE but I have a sample of the the AH toasted marshmallow And have played with the campfire in other combos recently- if I were a betting person those 2 combined could be the bomb.....I don't remember if I ordered the cracking firewood from WSP In my quest for a burning wood I need to go check that out 

I sent you a sniffe of both :) maybe you misplaced them ? 

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

I would think VERY little would be needed of the crackling firewood to add to the VBN. Are you using WSP for the VBN ? that one is awesome and the scent lingers

Cant wait to hear your results. Please post your wax + wick when you nail it ! - unless you did + I missed it lol ! 

I'm using Just Scents for the VBN - it's quite strong and I used a 2:1 ratio of Crackling Firewood to VBN and am still missing much of the CF. I'm using 464 and an ECO 12 (which is too large). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonshine said:

Yes I found it the other day!!?

Your sniffie of campfire made me order it and you sent me about an ounce of the WSP that I now have sitting out to get in wax 

thanks again for that ?

your welcome :) 

A few nights ago I too tried blending Indianna's toasted marshmallow + WSP crackling firewood. I started with much less of a ratio than you did thinking that the firewood scent would overpower the marshmallow. Your right, much more of the firewood will be needed to achieve a "toasted"

scent and the marshmallow does overpower - which surprised me. I think this type of blend might be very challenging to wick but I'll keep trying

:) Keep us posted on your efforts ! 

Edited by Moonstar