Suggestions for waxes?

DasBreenee

Does anyone have some suggestions? I've tried quite a few different waxes. Even if you have Ratio suggestions. 

Ive tried: 

silver 500 

4630/4625 at 60/40 ...50/50... 70/30

problend 400/4625 at 80/20

400/450 at 80/20 and 70/30 and 60/40

400/ecosoya pb at 80/20 and 70/30 and 60/40

600/650 at 40/60

so far the best and longest throw for me was the 80/20 with the 400 and ecosoya PB but it was far too soft. It also could have been the oil I used. It was an extremely pungent oil because the other times I tested these two together, the more soy I added the lighter the throw got. 

I want to have strong and long throw like everyone else. I just feel like I'm running out of options. I want to avoid soy because I don't seem to have luck with it. Any suggestions at all please lol 

I'm also trying to find sites that have sample sizes so I don't have to buy 10lbs + of wax and not like it. /sigh 

• Like 1

4630 + 4625 didn't work at all ??? What Ive been doing is using eco pillar + some 4630 + 4625 and a bit of palm pillar.

Flaming has sample bags of many waxes I believe. What is silver 500 + the 400s you have listed waxes ??? When you say everyone else's what 

do you mean by that - Scentsy ? J is right burners also make a difference + I noticed the longer I let them cure the better it is. Maybe your using 

too much FO ??? I recall you said you've been adding 12% ???? 

12%? I forgot about cure time as well. These 2 things combined (using that high of a % and not letting it cure long enough) could mean you are "nose blind" meaning you are so saturated with scent that you just can;t smell anything? IDK there are so many possibilities, it's hard to narrow it down. 

I try 20w and 25w hotplate, bulbs and tea lights all when testing my melts. The reason I try not to put too much pillar wax is because they tend to have a lower fragrance load. 

Silver 500 and the 400 waxes are just different types of waxes I have tried. I'm not sure what you mean by what are they lol. 

• 3 months later...

What does it mean when the wax is "too soft?" Why would that affect a wax melt? I have never done these before, but my friend wants me to make her some for her in one of my candle scents. I work with Nature C-3 wax 100% soy.... could I just use leftover wax from my candle pours and put it in a mold? Why or why not would this work? Thanks all!!!!

1 minute ago, infertilemyrtle said:

What does it mean when the wax is "too soft?" Why would that affect a wax melt? I have never done these before, but my friend wants me to make her some for her in one of my candle scents. I work with Nature C-3 wax 100% soy.... could I just use leftover wax from my candle pours and put it in a mold? Why or why not would this work? Thanks all!!!!

If the wax is too soft it will not release from clamshells or molds for use. Packaging it will also be messy. They need to be firm enough to hold a shape. I do not use soy wax so cannot answer the question about that specific wax. 

Hmmm- thank you for the response! I tried my wax in a silicone chocolate candy mold and put it in the fridge for it to set quicker. They popped right out and seem to be holding shape in the jar? I just want to be sure I am not giving her something that will ruin her machine or will be unsafe. Thank you for the feedback!

See what they are like at room temperature. If they hold the shape, you are fine. Typically you want a pillar or votive wax or one of those blended with a container wax for melts. Just for holding shape and perhaps holding oil.

Wax melts are designed to go into wax warmers. You cannot ruin her wax warmer. Well, I have seen those using a white wax warmer and using wax from a vendor who over-dyes melts. The warmer was stained, but not ruined. 

No offense to you or anyone else who makes candles but in terms of your concern about "unsafe", wax melts are MUCH safer than a candle with a wick which is set on fire and you offer those!

To the Op, where are your fragrances from? 8% of a good quality fragrance plenty well in those warmers you test with.

as for the wax too soft question, wait to test the packaging during hot summer months... 

• 2 weeks later...

Flaming candle 400 will not release in the summer or in the dead of winter. It is very similar to using 4627 only worse....it's similar to a vasaline. The throws on 400 are amazing and I've tried to make it work with over 12 different wax combos, both with two wax and three wax wax, at percentages ranging from 10-90 percent.  I've tried using every additive you can imagine.  It won't release.  Period. Learn from my stubbornness, Not worth waisting a year like I did on trying to make this wax work ?.  It's too bad cause the hot throw is crazy good.