Wax Melter

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Totally new here, been creeping on the forums for a while now, and have found that there's a lot of wonderful people here with great knowledge, best of all, you're all willing to share!

So I do have a few questions as I'm trying to speed up production.

Should I go with a professional melter?  Or presto?  Thinking future proof/cost savings down the road.

Also do you just dump the scent in the Presto and mix?  Or do you still pour into jugs, mix, and then pour?

Sorry, just completely new to the candle making and finding the double boiler my major bottleneck in producing candles fast enough.

Thanks and appreciate any comments/feedback.

6 hours ago, Lummers said:

Hi all,

Totally new here, been creeping on the forums for a while now, and have found that there's a lot of wonderful people here with great knowledge, best of all, you're all willing to share!

So I do have a few questions as I'm trying to speed up production.

Should I go with a professional melter?  Or presto?  Thinking future proof/cost savings down the road.

Also do you just dump the scent in the Presto and mix?  Or do you still pour into jugs, mix, and then pour?

Sorry, just completely new to the candle making and finding the double boiler my major bottleneck in producing candles fast enough.

Thanks and appreciate any comments/feedback.

Equipment choices all depends on your production levels. 

As far as which side you scent, again it depends. Unless I am making a full melter full of a single scent, I scent the pouring pots. 

I don't love scenting the ,elder because then I need to fully clean it before the next batch. I use my big melter for several waxes, making it challenging enough to clean between batches :D 

14 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Equipment choices all depends on your production levels. 

As far as which side you scent, again it depends. Unless I am making a full melter full of a single scent, I scent the pouring pots. 

I don't love scenting the ,elder because then I need to fully clean it before the next batch. I use my big melter for several waxes, making it challenging enough to clean between batches :D 

Thanks for the feedback! 

My production level is still low relatively, but I've definitely out grown the double boiler method.

I currently melt my soy wax (CB-Xcel) to around 185 let it sit to about 180/175 add my scent in a Pyrex (pouring pot) then mix well, I usually mix until the temps drop to about 150/140, let it cool until 120, before pouring into my container jars (Libbey 10.9oz)

I just don't find this efficient when I'm making batches of 20 a day.

Like I said I'm new still, so trying to figure out my processes still.

Much appreciate any feedback and if I should go forward with the Presto.

5 hours ago, TallTayl said:

I would move up to a presto pot. Two sizes are available retail right now. The larger of the two holds enough wax for 25 of my 8oz tins. I can line up several to keep wax at the ready, pouring about 100 in a short session. 

That's awesome feedback.

I'll look into purchasing one!  Can't wait and excited now.

I'm thinking either the 12lb or the 25lb aluminium.

Thanks again TallTayl..