JS Peppermint Bark FO Changed When Burning ?

Moonstar

Hope someone can offer some insight for me. I made some test candles about a week ago, I use 464 and tested JS Peppermint Bark & used CD wicks. OOB scent was great

and smelled strong - smelled even better while curing and was excited to light em up and enjoy. Well within minutes of lighting my candles I got a not so nice scent, I was so

surprised and disappointed all at the same time. The scent is not weak it just changed while burning. Is it the chocolate in the FO - any ideas or has anyone had this same 

experience with either this FO or other Peppermint Barks ? I also tested their Vanilla Bean Marshmallow (same wax) nice and strong - smells really good. It's not like Indianna's

if you've you've tried that, this is more heavy on the marshmallow IMO. Also, is it possible that I'll have better results if I try the Peppermint Bark FO in wax melts ?

I was really hoping the Peppermint bark would do better on the second burn, it did not. Its for sure a strong scent but I just don't care for how it 

smells as it burns. How can a CT smell great and the HT smell different . Could it be the wicks - it just isn't an appealing scent to me. Also, what

Ive noticed with the 2 JS oils Ive tested is that after blowing out my candle my 464 wax has a crusty top. I know thats a characteristic of soy,

more so the 415 ( in my tests anyhow) but other oils Ive tested did not do this in my 464. When they solidified they became creamy + smooth 

again. Maybe the quality of their oils is just so so- IDK ? I'll try the PB in wax melts to see if the scent stays more true. BTW .... Im test burning 

Fillmore Nutmeg Ginger in 464 with a 7 day cure - it smells incredible ! I made 2 8 oz square Mason jars using CD wicks in both - one with a CD 10

and one with a CD 12 - I thought for sure the CD 10 would test better than the 12. I was wrong, the CD 10 is flickering too much and the flame is 

bigger + the wick has a bigger mushroom as its burning. Does this mean the CD 10 is then too small ??? The CD 12 is not perfect either but much 

better than the 10. Initially I thought both wicks would have been too big + I should have started with a CD 8. Im wondering if this oil is just trickier to 

wick . I can't get over how strong it is + so lovely ! Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. 

Man is it ever cold today - winter is officially here :( 

I've had it happen.   I use a chocolate mint now but only in melts because I don't like it while burning.  I feel same as you, the scent changes when it burns and I don't like it.  I don't use JS but every one I tried I didn't like burning.  It may be the wick but honestly if I have to change a wick for just 1 or 2 scents I won't mess with those scents in candles.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Like 1

Well Im glad to hear that someone else has experienced this with peppermint bark Fo's. I start questioning my smell ability at times lol ! kandlekrazy in 

your experience does this type FO stay more true in your wax melts then ? Im planning on testing in a blend of Ecosoy  pillar blend and 4630 for melts.

Which wax do you use for melts - how would you rate the HT with the choc - mint your using. I also have a sample of Pepp/bark from CS but the JS 

smelled stronger to my nose OOB. I like your philosophy on on wicks too lol !