My first soap

Terry

Attended a CP soap making class at C&S on Friday.  Loved it!  The staff are terrific... 

Purchased a few scents:  Witches Brew and love - love - love Bayberry Apple Spice OOB.  (thanks Candybee!)

And for the soap:  Lavender scented, buds on top....  

Poured mixture into a food take out carton, cut today, setting aside now for 6 weeks just in time to give myself a Christmas gift!  :)

It's a start, right ?!!   20161113_094613.jpglol20161113_094622.jpg20161113_095232.jpg

• Like 7

Lookin good there Terry. I want to reach out to my computer screen and take one of those!

I've taken several candle making classes at C&S. I just loved their hands on classes and that you get to take home what you learned to make. Nothing beats seeing firsthand how something is made. It answers so many questions you have.

So did you get a chance to sniff all the FO samples in their showroom? They have hundreds of FOs! LOL There Witches Brew is my favorite. You should try it in your soapmaking. Its awesome and really sticks to CP. I mix with a sweet honey type FO to make it a sweet dark spicy patch soap. Mmmmm... mmmmm... love it!

I haven't taken any of their soap classes. Just some of their candlemaking. I did take a CP workshop in a nearby town from a local soaper I know. She was fabulous but doesn't teach anymore.

Anyway-- congrats on your first soapies!

• Like 1

@MYTVC15   C&S has M&P classes and HP soap classes coming up, check it out http://www.candlesandsupplies.net/Classes-FREE-Projects/Classes-Offered and they are affordable. 

@Sponiebr   Thank you for the kind words of encouragement!   :)   

@Candybee    It was my first time in a supplier showroom  :bliss:and it's dangerous thing for my pocketbook!  I love to be able to sniff before you buy but since I placed an already large order for wax and other things I did not splurge on the extra FO's.  Next time...;)   I am a patchouli fan and the Witches Brew is awesome OOB.  Your blend with the sweet honey sounds divine....  (we need an emoji for smelling a lovely scent and one for a stinky scent - HA-HA!)

We took the ride about 3 hours to get there, not bad, and it was sunny and crisp autumn day in PA - perfect for a drive. And yes, I loved taking my project home to use!  

We also made a quick stop at Candlewic for some jars.  It is great to be within driving distance from the suppliers but they are just a tad too far for me to drive to and back same day including all the stops.  And I need to check out Peak/Fillmore next time around.  Thank the Lord for GPS's - what did we do before them, lol?  My order from C&S also included the M&P goats milk and clear -- not sure what soap making route I will take. Going back to your M&P recipe thread when I start to play Candybee, thank you, that is one fantastic thread!  The Craftserver soap of the month demos have really inspired me to make soap.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Congratulations on your first of MANY soaps!!!! :yay::dance2::icon_highfive:  Oh my gosh Terry!!!! That soap is just BEAUTIFUL!!!! What oils did you put in your soap? Aren't the oils and butters just lovely and isn't it awesome to know that those beautiful butters and oils that created your soap will soon cleanse your skin and make it feel so wonderful?  Did you get to pick a recipe? Also...... I take it that dealing with the lye went very well? :biggrin:   Congratulations again Terry and to your sister too........welcome to the soap making world....yea Terry!!!! :)

• Like 2

Thank you Puma !!  We had so much fun....and yes I do feel way more comfortable with the Lye now....  :thumbsup2:

We used palm, coconut and olive oils.  I suppose this is a basic recipe of sorts ?...

My sister used their Christmas Tree scent - smelled so good!!  

We are going to trade bars when ready, can't wait!  :yay:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Terry said:

Thank you Puma !!  We had so much fun....and yes I do feel way more comfortable with the Lye now....  :thumbsup2:

We used palm, coconut and olive oils.  I suppose this is a basic recipe of sorts ?...

That's what we call the Holy Trinity of soap oils!:)

• Like 2

Do you remember who your instructor was?

Also, as an FYI... the candle classes I went to were taught by the famous Flaming Dame of candles. Don't know if she still teaches there at C&S but if she does and you want to take her candle classes I highly recommend it. They may still have some of her creations on display at C&S. She did all the wedding candles and the bakery ones and some others I can't remember.

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

Do you remember who your instructor was?

Also, as an FYI... the candle classes I went to were taught by the famous Flaming Dame of candles. Don't know if she still teaches there at C&S but if she does and you want to take her candle classes I highly recommend it. They may still have some of her creations on display at C&S. She did all the wedding candles and the bakery ones and some others I can't remember.

HaHa, the Flaming Dame of Candles, love that one!!  Will keep that name in mind if I should sign up for a candle class - thanks for the heads up. I did see some carved candles on display and know they offer a class on those.  Maybe those were the FD of C's.

Sharon is the lady who taught our class. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2016 at 6:37 AM, Terry said:

Oh ...that will be so fun to trade bars!! :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moonstar said:

Id love to look into classes. How does one go about finding local classes ? I just love the soap, so pretty ! Great job !!!! :):)

Are you an HSCG member? They offer classes nationwide. You could also check with your local community college or any suppliers near you. I suppose you could try googling too.

I always have people asking me about soaping classes that's why I do a soapmaking demo about twice a year at a local store that sells my soap.

If you can't find any classes check out sites like Miller's Handmade Soap  and soapcalc They have all the info you need plus lots of beginner recipe's to get you started.