Jars that cost a bit more than normal, does anyone use them?

I know "normal" is subjective, but do any of you use a jar that is a bit on the pricey side? If so, how do you manage your costs and what is your target audience? In search for another members request for a jar they were looking for, I sort of stumbled across a type of jar that I always had imagined using when i first started making candles. The jar I currently use is a basic straight sided salsa-type jar and sure, I can continue to use it but it kinda bores me. Its very cheap too, the 16oz only costing .88c per jar w/lid. The 20 oz variant of what I just found would cost almost $2.30. I could get that cost to below $1.50 per w/lid, if I ordered per pallet. Im just not even close to that selling power yet, so til then it would be $0.88 vs $2.30. I could still make a decent profit with the more costly jar, but thats a pretty big price difference for someone with, at this point, no major customer base. So profit is everything. AHHHHHHHHH   (pulls hair out)

For comparison:

16oz Straight sided: https://www.containerandpackaging.com/item/G275

vs

21oz Square: https://www.glassnow.com/21oz-square-candle-glass-container

I also would have the option of doing a "limited edition" or "collectors edition" in one of many different colored glass jars like amber or cobalt.

Thoughts? Would you just increase your prices by say $1 to offset some of that cost? For comparison, I usually sell my 16oz straight sided for around $18-$20 depending on show location and costs. . 

Edited by Clear Black

How about a compromise? 20 oz candles seem pretty big. Aside from wicking issues, the price point will put you into a slightly different market.

Couronneco.com offers similar squares for half that price. Distinctive, won't break the bank and a nice entry with a new packaging line. 

http://www.couronneco.com/xedni.php?p=search_result&Page=2

My 8oz tins average about $1.11 with shipping, so our packaging costs would be similar. The 16 oz version of my tins are around $1.35 with shipping. I sell about 1300 8oz in the summer compared to, maybe, a dozen 16 oz. 

i retail the 8oz at $10 each or 3/$27 and the 16 oz at $16 or 3/$45.  Better than 80% of my people go for the multiples of 3. Those who want the bigger candle already know they LOVE the scent.

This year, I'll be adding distinctive ceramic vessels... waiting to see how well I do at pricing them. 

• Like 1

Those Glassnow colored cubes are georgeous and they even come with lids!   Wow....Pricey....but gorgeous.  I just might have to order some of them.

There is no comparison with this jar and the 16oz straight wall jar.  Those colored cubes are in a class all by themselves....And I know they are heavy which is going to add to shipping costs....

Trappeur

If it were me, Id stick with what you have and maybe work on a new label. I think the larger square ones might be challenging to pick + possible take 2 wicks.

Idea : The New Year is around the corner - make that your goal, to reach x amount of sales and order some new jars. I would contact the company and see 

if its possible to order a few to see how they'll work out ( wicking wise) prior to ordering. Maybe get some 8oz tins as TT suggested to mix it up a bit .

The colored glass is pretty cool though ! 

31 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

How about a compromise? 20 oz candles seem pretty big. Aside from wicking issues, the price point will put you into a slightly different market.

Couronneco.com offers similar squares for half that price. Distinctive, won't break the bank and a nice entry with a new packaging line. 

My 8oz tins average about $1.11 with shipping, so our packaging costs would be similar. The 16 oz version of my tins are around $1.35 with shipping. I sell about 1300 8oz in the summer compared to, maybe, a dozen 16 oz. 

i retail the 8oz at $10 each or 3/$27 and the 16 oz at $16 or 3/$45.  Better than 80% of my people go for the multiples of 3. Those who want the bigger candle already know they LOVE the scent.

This year, I'll be adding distinctive ceramic vessels... waiting to see how well I do at pricing them. 

The company that sells the square jar I listed, Glassnow.com, is a subsidiary of Couronneco. You need to be a wholesaler and buy in bulk  in order to purchase from Couronneco, whereas Glassnow offers smaller quantities AS WELL AS pallett rates. 

34 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Also, my plan was to carry Glassnow's 8 ounce square and the 21oz square. So compromising wouldnt work. I feel as though I would at least need to offer another size other than just an 8oz.