Aroma beads ... are they all created equal?

I make ornies with the aroma beads from BCN. I use 1 oz FO to 3 oz beads for the most part, sometimes less FO if it is a strong scent. My problem is some scents just refuse to completely absorb into the beads no matter how much I shake or how many additional beads I add (I've tried up to another 2 oz beads) - it takes a month for my sugar cookie to absorb enough to make ornies, and even then the beads are still a bit wet.

Has anyone else had this problem? Should I try a different supplier for my beads or are they all the same?

Thanks!

Kate

I wonder if weather has anything to do with it? I start with a 4:1 ratio, and If it needs more fo I add from there. I shake them a lot and tilt my bottle so the liquid is not all on the bottom. In 2 days they are completely dry and ready to bake.

The only problem I have with fo not absorbing is when I make sachet bags and use rock salt with the beads. Rock salt is a mutha to absorb, but the combination holds the scent longer than beads by itself IMO

@@ps sorry I got off the subject ;)

I have the same problem with vanilla....I would guess it'd be the same with the sugar cookie. With my normal amounts, it wasn't absorbing at all. It sat there for about 3 weeks, and I added a little bit more beads here & there but still a lot of liquid. I tried dividing the beads in the jar in half, and using 2 jars instead of 1 & more beads and it finally absorbed.

i've tried to make the sachet bags and i have found that the fragrance doesn't last very long. what is the "average" time in which the "smell is gone"? maybe i'm making them wrong...i noticed someone mentioned about "baking the beads". Humm, i better do some more research! Anyone with tips?? :confused:

I use 1 tablespoon FO to 1/2 to 3/4 cup beads. I think BC's instructions say to start with 1/4 cup beads- they never dried for me with that little beads. I have a few FOs that I add even more beads too.

I also discovered that some suppliers's FOs won't ever soak in at all- I have 3 jars of beads with FOs from Bear Labs that have been sitting there for almost 4 months. I'm leaving them to see if they EVER soak in- I keep adding more beads, but nothing!

I've also gotten beads from BC, WSP and DPS Wax, and haven't noticed any difference in how they absorb.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I figured it was just the scent - I have trouble with vanilla and a few others as well - but it never hurts to see what everyone else is experiencing. I was hoping it was the beads, that would have been an easy fix! :grin2:

... maybe i'm making them wrong...i noticed someone mentioned about "baking the beads". Humm, i better do some more research! Anyone with tips?? :confused:

The reference to baking the beads is for when you make aroma ornies. That is done after the beads are fragranced and colored. You put the beads in a metal cookie cutter and bake them on low heat for a couple of minutes. The beads melt together and you get an air freshener in the shape of an ornament (ornie). There are a few pics in the gallery.