Tie Dyed Melts and Candles

MLG

I think I have lost my mind.  A family friend sent me this picture and asked me to make her some of these wax shots for her wedding tables (as a little guest treat).  I have no idea how to accomplish this.  If anyone makes these, would you care to point me in right direction or give me some advice.  They are pretty cool looking and the possibilities would be endless :)

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Its funny you mention these, over the weekend I was browsing RE and found this tutorial .... not sure its what your looking for but its a start :) 

Let me know after you view the link. they sure are pretty  though - I love the tie dye look ! 

http://library.rusticescentuals.com/scented-tarts-in-fluted-tart-molds/

Edited by Moonstar
spelling

54 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Its funny you mention these, over the weekend I was browsing RE and found this tutorial .... not sure its what your looking for but its a start :) 

Let me know after you view the link. they sure are pretty  though - I love the tie dye look ! 

Thank you for posting the link.  I did come across this earlier and was excited!  When I got to reading about it though, it doesn't mention anything about how to achieve the tie dyed look. Disappointing. 

• Like 1

With chunks, with toothpicks ... with patience in some instances. 

Two ways come to mind with the chunks so they won't stick out of the mold on your finished project though. Pour your liquid wax in and make tiny drops into the wax (larger if you're doing candles) ... then try to spread it around a little with a toothpick maybe. 

OR ... dip a toothpick into color and at a certain stage (not right away when it's flaming hot or all the color will sink to the bottom) and take that toothpick with color and swirl it around in your mold. I'd say you want to start doing this when the wax begins to thicken up. 

The other option might be using a bunch of highly colored chunks ... fill your molds, pour hot, hot, hot wax in there so it will force the colored chunks to melt some. 

These are just my thoughts. 

I have other much more messier ideas though too, but maybe something above makes enough sense for you to try and see if it works. 

• Like 2

You all have made some great suggestions. I also thought about pouring a base color and letting it set for a few minutes. Then trying to do a hot "over pour" in a couple of different colors.  I may also try to dredge color in with a toothpick.  I'm going to try and pour some this weekend.  I may end up having it all over me and my floors! LOL!!! 

1 hour ago, nursenancy said:

i think it would take some trial and error but i would start out by pouring part of the cup with uncolored wax and then add small drizzles of the colors and just gently swirl with a toothpick or skewer.  

This is similar to what I do for that effect.

• Like 1

On September 12, 2016 at 8:55 PM, MLG said:

You all have made some great suggestions. I also thought about pouring a base color and letting it set for a few minutes. Then trying to do a hot "over pour" in a couple of different colors.  I may also try to dredge color in with a toothpick.  I'm going to try and pour some this weekend.  I may end up having it all over me and my floors! LOL!!! 

You might want to stick with an uncolored overpour or extremely light pastels. 

Edited by Scented