wholesale

LRcandles

Just recently Ive raised my prices on my tarts. A lady I whole sell my tarts to ( paraffin), says that my prices were to high, that a lady that sells her tarts in the same store is cheaper. The other lady uses soy. She wants  to match her prices. Ive been trying to figure my prices till my brains on fire. I could drop them by a few cents, but thats all. What do I tell her? I may lose her business. And thats ok with me really if it comes to that. She doesnt order that much to justify using my shop and me being out there for 3 days working ( electric and my time included).

Been there before. I had to learn the hard way to get tough with products and prices. So many wholesale customers ask for special scents, jars, packaging, labels, prices, etc. I offer what I offer on my terms, prices, etc. If they want it they will buy it. If not, you probably don't want that customer to begin with. JMO

• Like 4

P.S.  that old excuse of "the other lady sells them cheaper" doesn't fly with me. Only you know what you make and how much it costs you. What the other person makes has nothing to do with you. They could be selling too cheap or buy on a grander scale or using the tarts as a break even product... you don't know so it shouldn't make you worry.

• Like 3

Yep, just what Candybee said...stick to your guns.....that is  your price and that is it.  I can't stand that when someone does that.  I used to have that problem but not anymore.

Let me ask you this.  So is this like a shop that has booths for rent?

So you sell the owner your tarts which are paraffin and she also buys from someone else who does soy? You said she buys from someone else in the same shop as hers so I'm assuming this is like an antique store or something like that that rents booths is what I'm thinking. 

Does this person you sell to double your price to sell it retail?

What is the difference in the retail price of your product and the other persons product?

Not that any of this makes a difference, I just wanted to see what she was trying to do.

Trappeur

• Like 1

Guest OldGlory
3 hours ago, LRcandles said:

Just recently Ive raised my prices on my tarts. A lady I whole sell my tarts to ( paraffin), says that my prices were to high, that a lady that sells her tarts in the same store is cheaper. The other lady uses soy. She wants  to match her prices. Ive been trying to figure my prices till my brains on fire. I could drop them by a few cents, but thats all. What do I tell her? I may lose her business. And thats ok with me really if it comes to that. She doesnt order that much to justify using my shop and me being out there for 3 days working ( electric and my time included).

Of all the nerve...

Tell her she can absorb the difference. Why should you?

I would be ready to walk away from a client like that. It's your business, not hers, and you set your prices, not her. She doesn't know what it costs to make your tarts. I really don't like dealing with wholesale clients who think they can tell me how to run my business. I've walked away from a few that did. Seriously, that's just ignorant.

Trapper, yes,she rents a booth. but also works there. Another lady makes/sells the soy candles 8 oz. for 7.99 . My suggestion for my 8 oz. square mason jar was 8.99-9.99. I dont know  the price she set on my candles . I havent been to check what she prices them for. I told her to check the market to see whats its been selling for. She sells my stand along tarts in a large old timey candy jar. She says the soy lady sells her soy tarts chamshell 2.5 oz for 3.00...:huh:. Ive been figuring candles prices, taking from here and adding there. I did  x 2 for profit and supplies and add a few cents more for wiggle room. maybe Im too greedy. Cant help looking at her profit versus my hard work....She complained about my wick tap being too long and customers complaining about not getting the last ounce of wax on the bottom ( really). I told her its to prevent scorched table tops and glass bottom getting too hot and shattering. she didnt like the answer....

Edited by LRcandles

Guest OldGlory

There comes a point (if this is a business) when you realize that you are either actually making money or you're not. It's the AH HA moment we all reach. That's when you get real about it - and many people give up. Some people review their process and make changes where it's needed.

Some people factor in their time, but I do not. Maybe I'm old school, but that's what I learned. I can usually make 150 candles a day, that gives me $xxx amount of profit, and I'm happy with that. I factor in wax, FO, wick, wick sticker, caution label, product label, paper towels etc, and utilities. Plus I add in a little cushion for my comfort. Don't think I missed anything.

There's no rigid 'right' way to do it, but there are plenty of opportunities to make mistakes. You learn from them, and you course correct. I can't begin to tell you all the mistakes I made early on, and had to get smart. Dozens of wholesale clients later, I know what I can do and what I'm willing to do, and where I draw the line.

You sound pretty frustrated with your situation. I hope you find some peace soon!

13 hours ago, LRcandles said:

Trapper, yes,she rents a booth. but also works there. Another lady makes/sells the soy candles 8 oz. for 7.99 . My suggestion for my 8 oz. square mason jar was 8.99-9.99. I dont know  the price she set on my candles . I havent been to check what she prices them for. I told her to check the market to see whats its been selling for. She sells my stand along tarts in a large old timey candy jar. She says the soy lady sells her soy tarts chamshell 2.5 oz for 3.00...:huh:. Ive been figuring candles prices, taking from here and adding there. I did  x 2 for profit and supplies and add a few cents more for wiggle room. maybe Im too greedy. Cant help looking at her profit versus my hard work....She complained about my wick tap being too long and customers complaining about not getting the last ounce of wax on the bottom ( really). I told her its to prevent scorched table tops and glass bottom getting too hot and shattering. she didnt like the answer....

You didn't do anything wrong LH.  Glad your sticking to your guns!  You make a beautiful (safe) candle and that is all that matters.  You don't have to go into any details or depths to her.  She sure has b......lls telling you that you should be the same price as the soy lady.  If you feel that you do need to say something to her all you have to say is:  1:  These are 2 ENTIRELY different waxes...your paraffin and the other person is soy.  The last time I checked isn't paraffin a h.....ll of lot more money that soy?  yep it is.  2.  Your oils are the finest out there you have test marketed and you don't buy "cheap grade" oils as you won't put out a product like that.  3.  And what you said about the left over wax in bottom of jar is ENTIRELY correct for safety standards and I would highlight to her....Evidently the other person is using a short wick tab and tell how dangerous that is.  Bottom line,  nobody else has complained, your not going to lower your price to satisfy her.  She can lower her price.  You know what someone once told me that I will never forget? ....."Profit" is not a bad word....

You go girl!

Trappeur

• Like 3

Re wick tabs are you using a 9mm or a 6mm neck tab? I'm asking because some suppliers sell the longer necks. You only need the 6mm. That's the industry standard for safety for jar candles. There are also 3mm necks but I would never use those in my jar candles.

Check out the National Candle Assn's website and you can read up on the industry standards (ASTM) for candle production and safety. http://candles.org/industry-standards/

• Like 1