4627 Comfort Blend

I just received my 25lb bag of 4627 and I must say I AM SUPER INTIMIDATED by it.   How do you cut, weight, and store this?   I don't know where to start.  Do you cut or open and re-seal the bag?  How do you clean up the mess? If I cut the bag how do I close it again?   Ugh!   I am excited and enthusiastic about using it because I have heard great reviews but I don't know where to start.  Any help to this newbie would be helpful.  I don't sell candles but still want to get the best results for my personal use and for gifting.  Thanks guys :-)

• Like 1

...think...disposable plastic gloves.  Like the food service people use.

Put the whole bag in a closeable tub to keep out dust, and you can cover your hand with a glove and just dig it out, then stick the glove on the top so you can slide your hand back in.  It's how I would do vegetable shortening and lard when I worked in a bakery.

• Like 2

I store mine in a bin....I cut the thick plastic down all sides...I don't remove it....just cut it.  I wear the disposable throw away gloves and use a large kitchen knife to cut off chunks as I'm weighing.  I then put the plastic up as best as can be and back in the bin it goes lol.

Edited to add....I also run my knife under hot water...dry it off quick then slice my chunks to weigh.  Makes cutting thru that vaseline like wax

just a tad easier.  You may need to heat your knife often....I do :)

Edited by debratant
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Chefmom said:

...think...disposable plastic gloves.  Like the food service people use.

Put the whole bag in a closeable tub to keep out dust, and you can cover your hand with a glove and just dig it out, then stick the glove on the top so you can slide your hand back in.  It's how I would do vegetable shortening and lard when I worked in a bakery.

So basically you leave the glove sticky on top of the tub which makes it easier to just slide your hand in the glove??? Genius.  Thanks

• Like 1

15 hours ago, YAMS said:

So basically you leave the glove sticky on top of the tub which makes it easier to just slide your hand in the glove??? Genius.  Thanks

Yes...I know that the gloves are "single use" and "disposable" and when I worked it wasn't my money buying them...but my Grandmother taught me frugality and so I would get a good 4-5 days use out of each glove by just carefully positioning it against the shortening/lard so that I could slide my hand back in for another use.

My system was pretty easy, I put a piece of parchment on top of the scale, then dug out handfuls of shortening and weighed it, then just plopped the shortening into the mixer, scraped it with a spatula and even the parchment could be reused that day at the shortening area.  Keep everything organized and close to each other and the mess is contained.

I also like debratant's idea as well.  Using a hot knife in one hand, and a gloved hand in the other you can get larger pieces out of the container.  Our hand's are truly our best tool. :) Always close by too!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chefmom said:

Yes...I know that the gloves are "single use" and "disposable" and when I worked it wasn't my money buying them...but my Grandmother taught me frugality and so I would get a good 4-5 days use out of each glove by just carefully positioning it against the shortening/lard so that I could slide my hand back in for another use.

My system was pretty easy, I put a piece of parchment on top of the scale, then dug out handfuls of shortening and weighed it, then just plopped the shortening into the mixer, scraped it with a spatula and even the parchment could be reused that day at the shortening area.  Keep everything organized and close to each other and the mess is contained.

I also like debratant's idea as well.  Using a hot knife in one hand, and a gloved hand in the other you can get larger pieces out of the container.  Our hand's are truly our best tool. :) Always close by too!!

Chefmom you made me laugh.   Thank you so much.  Very helpful

When using this wax, I make sure everything else I have planned for the rest of the day will be positive, relaxing and uplifting.

Because after messing with this wax I want to curl up in a ball in the corner and cry, then shower, cry in the shower, then go eat a terrible meal from McDonald's because at that point... how much worse can life get, right?   

.... but then after a few hours I start making clamshells with another wax and start feeling good about myself again.

Now for real tips:

Disposable gloves

large spoon and spatula

use parchment paper on the scale to weigh and transport to melter

keep work area clear of anything else that you dont want to have to clean this goop off of later

keep in bag inside a bucket or tub

second guess why you use this wax daily.

Does it work well? Yep. So does 4630, 6006, and others. :)

but I also do use the 4627 some as well.

hope this helps. :)

Edited by wthomas57
  • Like 4