Testing wick sizes

I stumbled across this video on YouTube and I was wondering what those of you with experience think about testing out wicks this way.  I am totally new so I have no clue if this is a good idea.  Thanks 

Edited by YAMS
wrong video attached

3 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Interesting, but it ignores the size, shape, depth and material of the container. All of those will change the wick performance. Then add in fragrance and/or color and you get to start all over again :)

TallTayl, that is an excellent point.   That's why posted it for the experts to weigh in.   

1 hour ago, YAMS said:

That's what I thought too but I figured I can re-use the wax?  Do you guys ever re-use wax that has been preheated and poured?   

Possibly, but I would not be surprised if the heated, partially burned, rebelled, reused wax behaved slightly differently. You might also need to filter out some micro fine debris. For testing purposes, give it a shot. For sale or gift, I wouldn't. 

If you have a whole lot of wax on hand, and want to really really see what each wick is capable of in the wax I think this is an amazing idea.  I also suspect when you read the wick charts about the size of melt pool each wick is capable of creating it may have been tested in this way.  It would give you a good sense of what the wick can do on it's own with nothing else and probably a good starting point for testing wicks in containers. 

When I start with a new wick I like to pour containers about half full with the new wicks.  That way I get a sense of what they will do in the lower half of my container before adding color and fragrance.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I guess its a good way to baseline (but that is why there are already baseline charts out there.

But I test with jars, FOs, dyes, etc. Without doing that you really have no idea.

Id rather get straight to testing my specific item using the wick I already think is pretty close. 

Knowing which ones might be close is from previous experience or the baseline charts online (some anyway).

However, if you wanna see how totally different wicks (not just sizes) burn a bit differently natively, its pretty cool.

Ill probably try it because now Im curious. ha

Yams,

Welcome to the fun!!! A business to where testing and headaches run rampant hahaha. I hope that you are willing to drop a lot of coin because this is definitely an addictive business. I first got into this thinking it would be easy but I was dead wrong!!! Thousands of dollars later only to test much of that away lol. The good news is you are learning a craft. When you finally make that one candle you have been working so hard on you will get that feeling of accomplishment and pride. Stick with it and ask a lot of questions!!! Test test test

• Like 1

On 9/10/2016 at 8:16 AM, Candle guy said:

Yams,

Welcome to the fun!!! A business to where testing and headaches run rampant hahaha. I hope that you are willing to drop a lot of coin because this is definitely an addictive business. I first got into this thinking it would be easy but I was dead wrong!!! Thousands of dollars later only to test much of that away lol. ......

I wish I had chosen a cheaper hobby ... like diamond collecting. :)

• Like 1