Discoloration Around Wick Tab

I'm seeing a brown ring around the wick tab in two jars that just finished a 2-week cure.  Do you know what this is from?  I stir my oil/soy for 3 minutes so don't think it is from oil not getting incorporated into the wax.  The only time I ever noticed this before was when water was getting into my wax.  I know this is not happening as I no longer melt in a water bath.  Maybe this is normal.  Please let this be normal. lol  Using 464, Premier wicks, Apple/Pumpkin Strudel RE Oil

Goldie

brown ring on pint candle.jpg

• Like 1

Ha!  So you don't think there is something wrong with it?  I remember having one candle that had a burnt smell toward the bottom.  Could this be an indication of that happening?  I'm trying to avoid burning one of my candles cured and ready for sale as I don't make many at a time.  I have no problem covering it up with a label, though.

Goldie

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Moonstar said:

Interesting about the water bath method . What do you use now then ? I was thinking the same thing about adding a label :) 

Btw - that was one of the scents i chose in RE sale - how is it in the 464 wax ? can't wait to get my order :- 

I melt my soy wax in a roaster now.  I use to put wax in a metal pitcher then put that it a Presto pot of water.  One day noticed wax in the water but took me a couple batches to realize the metal pot had developed holes in the side and water was getting into my wax.  Had to empty all those jars, throw away the wax.  

Rustic Escentuals Apple/Pumpkin Strudel smells amazing!  I call it "apple streudel" because I smell the apple more than pumpkin.

Goldie

• Like 1

Yay Im glad I ordered it ! I think I picked some great ones. I wasn't sure about the new scents, I only picked a few one of them was Earl Grey + apple 

what are your faves from them. Very interesting on the roaster - Ive had to throw batches away before - so annoying :( Ill post by OOB first then 

as I test/make Ill post again. Thanks again for chiming in :) 

• Like 1

I’ve seen the same discoloration with some of my candles and I use Advanced soy wax with cdn wicks. I usually see it occurring with some of the vanilla based scents I use and I’ve seen it occur on a well known brand candle as well. The first time I saw it on one of my candles, I melted the wax out and found thin brown veins all over the surface of the wick tab. I ended up concluding that something in the fragrance oil reacted with the wick tab and I have noticed that the same fragrances that have this reaction usually have a warning that they can cause brown discoloration over time if used in soaps but it could just be a coincidence. Can’t say that I noticed anything bad when I burnt the discolored candles.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, inthedark said:

I’ve seen the same discoloration with some of my candles and I use Advanced soy wax with cdn wicks. I usually see it occurring with some of the vanilla based scents I use and I’ve seen it occur on a well known brand candle as well. The first time I saw it on one of my candles, I melted the wax out and found thin brown veins all over the surface of the wick tab. I ended up concluding that something in the fragrance oil reacted with the wick tab and I have noticed that the same fragrances that have this reaction usually have a warning that they can cause brown discoloration over time if used in soaps but it could just be a coincidence. Can’t say that I noticed anything bad when I burnt the discolored candles.

Thanks so much for responding.  You may be right as RE warns about discoloration.  I will contact them and see what they say as they have been helpful in the past when I had a problem with one fragrance not throwing.

Goldie

8 hours ago, Moonstar said:

Yay Im glad I ordered it ! I think I picked some great ones. I wasn't sure about the new scents, I only picked a few one of them was Earl Grey + apple 

what are your faves from them. Very interesting on the roaster - Ive had to throw batches away before - so annoying :( Ill post by OOB first then 

as I test/make Ill post again. Thanks again for chiming in :) 

I have quite a few samples from RusticEscentuals but have only tested those that smell good to me out of the bottle.  Someday, I will get to more. ;) In the meantime, I just keep ordering more samples. Ha!  I've been successful selling:  Celtic Moonspice, Amish Quilt, Christmas Bliss, Pumpkin Creme Brulee, MacApple, Toasted Marshmallow.  Love Butter Rum Cappuccino but haven't been able to get a good hot throw.  Cornbread smells great burning but doesn't smell good in the jar so customers don't buy it.  Kind of liked Santas Whiskers when I tested it, last year, so may add that to my "line" this year.  My "line" is pretty small.  Keep in mind, I have not tested similar fragrances from other companies.  There could be some better Macs, Amish, etc.; I just haven't had time to order/test them.  Still, after 4 years, just getting started.

People on this forum are fantastic for sharing their favorites which gives us newbies a good place to start.:lol:

Goldie

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Daisymay66 said:

I've had it happen to me too. I've tested them and they are just fine. No effect on the scent throw. And yep no one will see it when you put your label on so no worries :) 

This helps a lot.  Thanks!

Goldie

• 3 weeks later...