Double Wicking issue

I haven't done a whole lot of double or triple wicking but recently I started testing some 4" diameter apothecarys

and a single wick doesn't often cut it depending on FO. 

This post is more of a general question than it is specifically about types of wicks, etc.

But basically, I am wondering what to do when double wicking keeps leading to the wicks drowning after a few or several hours.

Here are my thouights:

1) At first I thought.. must need to wick up. But that just seems to make the pool quicker and deeper and they still drown

2) So then... let's try wicking down and keep the pool from getting too deep too quick. Nope..., that just causes it to get deeper

in the middle rather than the edges and still get the same problem

3) The next best option I can consider is spacing the wicks further apart but I dont want them getting too close to edge of jars.

And Ive seen many double wicked candles with the wicks just as close as mine are. Id say they are about an inch or so apart.

So, I am a bit lost when wicking up or down both leading to drowning out when double wicking.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks everyone

Sure, 

Country Comfort Apothecary (about 4" diameter)

Been using Zincs with this wax (6006) which has been the best wick for me overall.

In this jar I use Zinc 62 if it works. but sometimes it doesn't, so that is why I am trying double wicking it.

I only have 1 photo of it (and not around to take anymore at the moment) so not sure how helpful this will be.

The angle of this picture is a bit misleading. It appears in this picutre that it is tunneling some, but its really not. Its reaching edges just fine

Thanks.

20160806_233201.jpg

12 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

I double wick with 3 36z's or 2 44-24z's. I space my wicks with the tabs about 5mm apart. 

Actually, I may have tried the 44-28s by mistake instead of the 44-24s. I think you pointed this possibility out to me in another post.  Is there a big difference between those?

I guess my main underlying question is still... if double wicking is leading to drowning do you wick up or down. Wicking up means the wicks might last longer simple because they are bigger. But wicking down might mean not as deep of pool... so logically this is a tough one for me to figure out.... obviously. :)

Geesh, I don't use you wax so couldn't give you an advice as I use 464.  The wicks look in good placement.

Let me ask you this.....how much oil are putting in your wax? You doing 1oz per 1 pound wax?  Also what name fragrance you using?  

Trappeur

Yah I use spacing tools to ensure I am placing them correctly but I have even tweaked those a bit to no success.

FO load depends. I use anywhere from 6-8% and never been a problem. 6006 holds up to 10%+ but never use that much,

The FO in this picture is a Ocean Mist from NG and again never had a problem with it. Obviously some scents are tougher than others,

but never had a problem single wicking these.  Ive tried probably a half dozen scents in this jar. Half worked fine with single z62 wick. The other half

not as well so tried double wicking and had led to where I am now. I am not sure if its a FO issue, or more so just finding the right wick size, etc.

Again, I am pretty new to double wicking so I could easily just be making mistakes here

When I need to wick up with this combo, the wicks will have super wimpy flames and will eventually drown.  When I've overwicked, the melt pool is too deep and the jar gets too hot.  You can play around with it a bit by the placement of the wicks.  When wicking up, I might place the wicks a little closer together.  The placement of the wicks will narrow or widen the melt pool slightly.  Usually, when wicking up, I might place the tabs a little closer together to keep the shoulders of the jar cooler. 

There is a slight difference in the 44-24's and the 44-32's.  The 44-32's are always too hot for me in this combo.  This jar/wax/wick combo, seems to be very susceptible to subtle changes.  Because of that, I decided to only offer this jar with FO's that produce a perfect burn.  The ones that are perfect, are 100% perfect, and are among the best candles I have ever made or have ever burned.  When it's perfect, you'll know without a doubt.

Also, cure time can make a big difference.  I am burning a candle today that was made 4 months ago.  At the time, I thought it was over-wicked with 2 44-24's, but it is burning perfectly now.  The initial test was done after a 1 week cure.  I'm getting vastly different results burning today, after 4 months. 

Those are all good points and tips.

Where I am getting stuck is you mentioned that the 44-32s were a bit big for you. I am using the 44-28 and I am getting big melt pool and extremely quickly... but they are stil drowning out. So if I am drowning out at 44-28, I almost surely would at 44-24 or 36s, right?

I cant tell if they are drowning because the wicks are too small or because the melt pool getting too deep too quickly.

When you double wick how quickly are you getting a full melt pool? I mean typically, with a single it takes anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on jar. With double wicking this, I am getting full MP in half hour or so

I am testing these jars because at the moment my main candles are 11oz tumblers and then two mason sizes... but I currently do not sell anything in the "larger" range.

By larger I am talking about large apothecarys 22oz+ as we are talking here. I have had multiple and consistent requests for some larger styles.

Do you have any other recommendations of other larger jars that may be a bit easier to wick?

Ill keep working on these, but its nice to have another option.

47 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

Those are all good points and tips.

Where I am getting stuck is you mentioned that the 44-32s were a bit big for you. I am using the 44-28 and I am getting big melt pool and extremely quickly... but they are stil drowning out. So if I am drowning out at 44-28, I almost surely would at 44-24 or 36s, right?

I cant tell if they are drowning because the wicks are too small or because the melt pool getting too deep too quickly.

When you double wick how quickly are you getting a full melt pool? I mean typically, with a single it takes anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on jar. With double wicking this, I am getting full MP in half hour or so

The wicking is very FO specific.  For the vast majority of my FO's, I double wick with 36z's.  If you are getting a full MP that quickly, I would step it down to 36z's.  I only use 44-24's for a few hard to burn FO's.   I always, always start with 36z's, and they work for the majority.    

I have a few scents that require 44-24's.  This Olde House, Santa's Pipe, and Blueberry Cobbler are a few that require (2) 44-24z's, and these are all harder to burn FO's in my other applications as well.  One thing I have noticed about the harder to burn FO's is that they are the ones that benefit the most from a longer cure time.

I do not wick for a full melt pool within the first few burns.  There is always hangup until the last 1/3 or so of the jar.  Anything else makes the shoulders and rim of the jar too hot for my liking.

Yep, I agree. I dont try to get full MP at first either. Just hoping to see promising results about half way down or so.

Ill order some 36z's and give them a shot. I had a small sample pack from a while ago. Where do you buys yours?

• 4 years later...
On 2/4/2021 at 10:21 PM, aarick said:

Reviving an old post

@wthomas57 have you ever figured out how best to deal with double wicks that are drowning out and when wicking up seems to create too large a melt pool?

Thanks..

Its about finding that happy medium/combination. Sometimes i had to change wick types. Other times, it took an adjustment of the FO load. Part of the issue was jar style and the wax type. Hasn't really much much of a problem for quite some time now.