Terra Cotta Clay jewelry

kandlekrazy

Has anyone made jewelry from terra cotta clay?  I want to make something to sell that essential oil can be diffused on.  I thought pendants would be great but the

only mold suppliers I can find are in India.  Maybe this is the case, but if anyone has a US supplier I would really appreciate it.  TIA!

I don't have pictures because I haven't found any molds here.  I guess I could use silicone candy molds, they need to be shallow.  I was thinking more

of the air dry terra cotta so no baking but not sure it will work out. 

If you have a Hobby Lobby or Michael's go to the Clay section and get some Amazing Mold Putty it a 2 part silicone mold putty and make some your self.  I use that stuff all the time it great for copying a small items. I usually do textures but I have made master pieces that I mold so I can make them over and over.

Years and Years ago I bought exactly what you are describing.  It's a terra cotta pendant on a leather like adjustable rope....and I use it to diffuse essential oil.  

It's a great little necklace.  In the winter I like to put my thieves oil on it LOL.  I have no idea where I bought that, and have not seen another one since. 

Mine is a round circle with a leaf design pressed into it.

Thanks ladies.  I've been able to find a few ready made molds that I like and also instructions on how to make my own.  Debratant that is exactly what I'm looking for something simple but pretty to wear and diffuse EO.  I have seen ready made necklaces, but the company that I'm going to sell them through wants something you actually make in their marketplace and has to be used with EO.

Edited by kandlekrazy

Air dry clay goes mushy when wet. I really wanted it to work, but after getting stains on my skin from the oily now, wet clay I gave up. You'll probably do well with traditional clay that has been bisque fired to remain porous but stable.

Edited by TallTayl

This is they style/type I have had the best luck with. I use white stoneware which has been easy to stain/color with oxides, and durable to wear, washable, etc. porous to soak in the oils...

The second pic is an in-process of the impressions in clay with leaves, flowers, various textures. White stoneware is grey until fired.

The first pic is a different, simple, batch after bisque ready to string and wear. The terra cotta looking ones are white stoneware with red iron oxide blended through the clay. You can use about any oxide or clay stain to get greens, blues, black, etc.

Your finished items can be glazed, or not. Stained with other colors in the impressions, or not. 

These are fun to make as medallions, ornaments, etc. too!

if you have a potter or pottery school near by see about a class to hand build, or ask how to get your work into their kiln. These little bisque items are super easy to fire as they are not glazed and can fill empty spaces in a kiln load. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks Tall for all the suggestions.  We do have a community college that allows you to "buy" space in their kiln very reasonably even if you don't take classes there.  If I really start liking this process, I may take the classes they offer and whip up some pottery as well, lol.  Your pics are exactly what I'm looking to make, nice to know the stoneware is porous enough for EO's.