Fragrance for laundry detergent

ubure

Morning everybody!

I'd like to ask if any of you have ever used fragrance oils for DIY laundry detergents? If you can use it in cleaning products you should be able to use it in laundry detergent as well, right? Any experiences with that?

Thank you!

• Like 1

Thank you TallTayl! Just wanted to make sure somebody has tried this before. I don't have a dryer (only line-drying here:)), I add my - bought - laundry scent to the rinse department, works great. Even essential oils smell strongly in the fresh laundry. Just never tested my fragrance oils.

I have used 3% lavender and Jazmin  soap in my DIY Laundry Detergent. No scent after washing.

Tried a little on a cloth in the dryer but tea towels and cleaning cloth that leaves fatty streaks are not ok,

so no scent here.

I only add to liquid laundry detergent. But I don't make the liquid anymore, just the dry powder. Like others I add the fragrance to the fabric softener that goes in with the laundry.

My favorite laundry scent is a 50/50% blend of Lavender + Clean Cotton. I have had the best compliments on my clean smelling clothes and laundry with that scent. I use CS Lavender and Clean Cotton.

Other scents I have tried that work are Gain, Lavender + Vanilla, Lemon types.

Edited by Candybee

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

I only add to liquid laundry detergent. But I don't make the liquid anymore, just the dry powder. Like others I add the fragrance to the fabric softener that goes in with the laundry.

My favorite laundry scent is a 50/50% blend of Lavender + Clean Cotton. I have had the best compliments on my clean smelling clothes and laundry with that scent. I use CS Lavender and Clean Cotton.

Other scents I have tried that work are Gain, Lavender + Vanilla, Lemon types.

Thanks for the suggestion! I actually made a bog batch of liquid detergent 2 weeks ago. Works quite fine, but I have to say it is the higher temps that bring better results, but that was clear from the beginning.

No fabric softener here as well ( so, no dryer and no softener...things I never needed, nor did my mum before me), I just put some homemade apple cider vinegar (which is almost  a shame to use for the laundry, but I have two big barrels) in the rinse department, together with the scent (no vinegar smell in the clothes, just a fresh smell, even without scent.).

I did some research and found out that the fragrance in normal detergent is microencapsulated in some nasty stuff containing formaldehyde...didn't know that! So that is why you won't have the same amount of scent when you use fragrance oil of essential oils: the capsules stick to the fabric and release the fragrance slowly. I have to say I don't want little formaldehyde capsules rub against my skin*shudder* - enough toxic stuff around I cannot escape anyway, so don't have to expose myself and my family to some more if I can avoid it.

I guess I will experiment with the recipes for DIY laundry scent crystals (they make them with epsom salt) or just stick with just put 2 or 3 drops to the rinse cycle.

Edited by ubure

2 hours ago, Fine said:

I have used 3% lavender and Jazmin  soap in my DIY Laundry Detergent. No scent after washing.

Tried a little on a cloth in the dryer but tea towels and cleaning cloth that leaves fatty streaks are not ok,

so no scent here.

You mean lavender and jasmin scented soap? Yeah, I guess that won't work for having a great scent.

I use vinegar in my wash too. I use white vinegar and put it in with a little hair conditioner and fragrance in the wash or rinse cycle. My clothes smell good, fresh, clean, and are soft and fluffy when they come out of the dryer.

• Like 2

CandyBee, that sounds like a good idea! The conditioner emulsifies the fragrance. Or you could use sth like isopropylmyristate, or glycerine etc. I even thought about using some of my empty liposomes and fill them up with fragrance but that would be a bit exaggerated, I guess;)

I use 3 parts white vinegar with 2 parts hair conditioner. Try to use the the "extra body" or "volumnizer" type hair conditioners. VO5 has an "extra body" hair conditioner that works great. I find the type of conditioner can make a difference. My towels are fuller, fluffier, and soft using the extra body formula conditioner.

Anyway, I mix the vinegar, hair conditioner, and fragrance in a bottle and shake it well to blend.  I use about 1/2 oz FO per lb of conditioner, or half that amount if using EO. You have to adjust the amount to your liking. So if I am making 3 lbs of fabric softener I use 1.5oz FO or .75oz EO.

I use about a 1/4 cup of my homemade fabric softener in the wash cycle. Or right after I turn on the washing machine and its partially or almost filled with water. No need to wait for rinse cycle. Wash cycle works just fine and saves me time waiting for rinse. Or use a Downy ball if you have one.

Even if you don't use fragrance the vinegar makes your clothes smell fresh and clean.

But you got to try the Lavender + Clean Cotton FO combo. You will love the way your clothes smell!

One last thing, I shake the fabric softener bottle before adding to each wash to make sure its mixed.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

okay, that is the next thing I'll try, CandyBee!

I always put in everything before I turn the machine on, there is a little departement for the laundry detergent, another for the rinse stuff and another for prewash.

By the way: did several loads today (between candle pouring...200 jars yesterday and today...can't stand that smell anymore and my thyroid is swollen again, uggghhhh!), one with a few drops 'Gee, your hair smells terrific' from Oregon Trail Soap Supplies, that was even enough for the second load without adding more scent. Laundry smells very nice, holds scent really well. Third load was with orange essential oil (found an older bottle of a really good orange oil in my workshop, no idea why I haven't used it. Now it is too old for use in cosmetics or aromatherapy but it smelled as fresh as a new one so I guess it is okay to use in my laundry) and that was rellay perfect. Such a nice, fresh smell and above all it is all-natural. Did a fourth load with it again - a keeper for me!

• Like 1

Orange oil is used in cleaning products so it should work very nice in your laundry!

I need to make a correction in the formula I use to make homemade fabric softener. Its 1/2oz FO per lb of fabric softener not per lb of hair conditioner.

• Like 1

Thanks for the correction! I will keep that in mind (or simply come back here and re-read!).

Essential oils are not used for cleaning purposes, it is the citrus terpenes that have this incredible cleansing power ( is it cleansing or cleaning in this context? I never get this right!). I sometimes buy a highly concentrated orange cleaner made from these terpenes. Smells so good (of course there are the essential oils in it as well as it is made out of the citrus skins) and you only need tiny amounts (a teaspoon full for 10 liters water). If used undiluted it even dissolves glues of all kinds. I remember using it for my oven window which simply fell out of the oven door after my cleaning mission - the cleaner simply dissolved the adhesive the window was glued to the door with.:rolleyes:

23 hours ago, ubure said:

You mean lavender and jasmin scented soap? Yeah, I guess that won't work for having a great scent.

Yes - Jasmin or lavenderscented coconutsoap. Have tried a little EO in vinagre softener too. 

I am just happy with unscented today.

Try counting, how many different scents you sniff in every day. I was surprised.

33 minutes ago, Fine said:

Yes - Jasmin or lavenderscented coconutsoap. Have tried a little EO in vinagre softener too. 

I am just happy with unscented today.

Try counting, how many different scents you sniff in every day. I was surprised.

Yes, you are absolutely right. I don't need any scents at all (a side effect from ym candle business - I am already at a stage where I need to use a gas mask as those fragrances affect my health. Guess I won't pour candles for the next 30 years...) and I really like the clean scent of pure soap without any scent at all. But that combo today, the coconut oil soap-laundry detergent - orange essential oil was nice: fresh, clean, and some delicious natural scent.

Edited by ubure

I love this topic, as I'm always looking for ways to get my laundry to smell fresher and cleaner.  I'm assuming I could use the above mixture (vinegar and conditioner with fo) with my front loader, and put in the fabric softener compartment?  Thanks so much for sharing this! (you gals are awesome!)